What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reminders of your childhood

Generalzod

Immortal
Polly Waffle making a come back

pollywaffle-146523-2.jpg

horrie hastings

First Grade
Mulberries
Just about every neighbourhood had a mulberry tree, beautiful fruit to eat , i remember my mother saying don't get the stains from them on your clothes as they don't wash out, funny though used to get the stains everywhere and sure enough they did wash out. , used to love picking them and eating them, its actually the season for them now, unfortunately there aren't any around my area although i do know of a few good bushes not to far away if i want to drive.

Dwarf-Mulberry-Black-70.jpeg

counterpuncher

Juniors
Mulberries
Just about every neighbourhood had a mulberry tree, beautiful fruit to eat , i remember my mother saying don't get the stains from them on your clothes as they don't wash out, funny though used to get the stains everywhere and sure enough they did wash out. , used to love picking them and eating them, its actually the season for them now, unfortunately there aren't any around my area although i do know of a few good bushes not to far away if i want to drive.

View attachment 42189

One of my old neighbours once had a fantastic mulberry tree in the front yard. A few years back there was apparently a bit of a craze among schoolkids for raising pet silkworms (which eat the mulberry leaves) and almost every low hanging branch over the footpath was soon completely stripped.
Eventually he had the kids (and their parents!) just randomly wandering into his front yard to help themselves to leaves without any thought of asking permission to trash his tree... he got rid of it soon after for some murraya bushes.
Shame really, they are definitely dwindling in number.

I once read this magazine religiously.

Stupidly, I gave away all my old issues ages ago. Now having to try and track down the 1990-1993 issues to sate my dose of nostalgia.

Screen Shot 2020-09-23 at 5.05.31 pm.png

Last edited:

horrie hastings

First Grade
One of my old neighbours once had a fantastic mulberry tree in the front yard. A few years back there was apparently a bit of a craze among schoolkids for raising pet silkworms (which eat the mulberry leaves) and almost every low hanging branch over the footpath was soon completely stripped.
Eventually he had the kids (and their parents!) just randomly wandering into his front yard to help themselves to leaves without any thought of asking permission to trash his tree... he got rid of it soon after for some murraya bushes.
Shame really, they are definitely dwindling in number.

One of my aunties who lived in Botany gave me some of her mulberry leaves from her tree when we had silk worms at school, in my aunties back yard i was more interested in her loquat tree which bore beautiful fruit, another fruit that i love fresh.

You are right, the mulberry trees are definately dwindling in numbers, when i first moved to St Peters the local school had a huge mulberry tree which i used to fill up a couple of ice cream tubs full of fruit, they eventually chopped it down, i found another tree about a block away from where i live a few years ago but the fruit is so dry so i only ever pick a few from the tree which dips over the foot path. Otherwise if i'm prepared to drive there is a bountiful bush right near where i used to work at Waterloo another couple in Erskinville, one which has white fruit and a huge wild one in Tempe.

Another aunty we used to visit at Long Jetty had a great tree in her back yard back in the late 60s, over the years the tree still bore fruit but only high up so by the late 70s and early 80s you needed a ladder and a rake to get them, this aunty also had a cape gooseberry bush in her back yard, another great fruit, i bought a pack of seeds at Bunnings last year so i am going to try and grow them as my memory of them as a kid were just so beautiful and sweet.

IMG_8173.jpg

Physalis-peruviana-Cape-Gooseberry-DSCN7406c-K_Sarti-819x1024.jpg

"Late Night Shopping". Thursday nights usually at a Westfield near you, late night shopping was a revolution when it came to be - I'm thinking around the early 80's??? Someone else may know better than I. But now everything is open til late so the term has long since passed.

Or so I thought.

I was reminded of it recently by my darling. She said to me a few months ago "It's late night shopping tonight"... I almost fell over and couldn't stop laughing, and she couldnt understand why I was beside myself and taking the absolute piss. But... in Adelaide, late night shopping on a Thursday still exists. Other nights the main stores shut at 5 or 6.. And I love it.

horrie hastings

First Grade
"Late Night Shopping". Thursday nights usually at a Westfield near you, late night shopping was a revolution when it came to be - I'm thinking around the early 80's??? Someone else may know better than I. But now everything is open til late so the term has long since passed.

Or so I thought.

I was reminded of it recently by my darling. She said to me a few months ago "It's late night shopping tonight"... I almost fell over and couldn't stop laughing, and she couldnt understand why I was beside myself and taking the absolute piss. But... in Adelaide, late night shopping on a Thursday still exists. Other nights the main stores shut at 5 or 6.. And I love it.

I still remember when the stores used to shut at 12pm on Saturday and most didn't open on the Sunday.
Not long after Marrickville Metro opened i used to go over to a butcher there and they used to bomb out the meat on the Saturday, so many bargains to be had, boy how things are changed.

Generalzod

Immortal
I still remember when the stores used to shut at 12pm on Saturday and most didn't open on the Sunday.
Not long after Marrickville Metro opened i used to go over to a butcher there and they used to bomb out the meat on the Saturday, so many bargains to be had, boy how things are changed.
My dear mother used to work opposite Marrickville Metro an at lunchtime go and get a coffee at some coffee shop she always used to say nobody goes into Marrickville Metro like a ghost town, now you can’t even get a parking lot and it’s getting an extension.

horrie hastings

First Grade

Late night shopping actually started Dec 16th 1971 in the CBD in Sydney, not sure when it actually spread out the suburban centres though.

horrie hastings

First Grade
My dear mother used to work opposite Marrickville Metro an at lunchtime go and get a coffee at some coffee shop she always used to say nobody goes into Marrickville Metro like a ghost town, now you can’t even get a parking lot and it’s getting an extension.

I lived around the corner back in 1989 and the place was like a ghost town then, it had an Angus & Coote jeweller there which closed to lack of business, there was a great pie shop there, it was still there when i moved back into the area in 1997. I remember the centre only took off once a Franklins supermarket moved in, this was just the basic Franklins way before Franklins Big fresh came into being, but once Franklins opened the centre started to get busy.
K Mart has always been there and it had a Coles supermarket of sorts in there, it ran from inside K Mart along where Woolworths is now but you could only get in through K Mart, it was a spectacular failure.
God i miss that pie shop.

Generalzod

Immortal
I lived around the corner back in 1989 and the place was like a ghost town then, it had an Angus & Coote jeweller there which closed to lack of business, there was a great pie shop there, it was still there when i moved back into the area in 1997. I remember the centre only took off once a Franklins supermarket moved in, this was just the basic Franklins way before Franklins Big fresh came into being, but once Franklins opened the centre started to get busy.
K Mart has always been there and it had a Coles supermarket of sorts in there, it ran from inside K Mart along where Woolworths is now but you could only get in through K Mart, it was a spectacular failure.
God i miss that pie shop.
Yep I remember that about Coles and Kmart....