What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Worst NRL coach of all time

The_Frog

First Grade
John Peard. Not only was he horrendous for us in our darkest days, but he could not get a side with Sterling, Kenny, Grothe, Cronin, Price, Ella, Edge, Beetson, P Wynn. etc etc into the finals. Did much better as a comments man on ABC, where his dry humour served him well.

(I know the heading said NRL but it also said all time)

McGregor's 46% win rate makes him look amazing compared to Langmack (14%), Raudonikis (34%) and Seibold (35%).

Seibold has a career win rate of 47%.

Last edited:

horrie hastings

First Grade
John Peard. Not only was he horrendous for us in our darkest days, but he could not get a side with Sterling, Kenny, Grothe, Cronin, Price, Ella, Edge, Beetson, P Wynn. etc etc into the finals. Did much better as a comments man on ABC, where his dry humour served him well.

(I know the heading said NRL but it also said all time)

We can go back even further with Bert Holcroft who coached Easts in 1965-1966 with 3 wins and 1 draw in 36 games including not winning a single game in 1966.

John Peard is a fair call though, he had a great side in 1980 with Parramatta but couldn't get them in the top 5, he did even worse when he went on to coach Penrith with only 16 wins from 52 games, still not going to dis the guy though as he was a great player with Easts and Parra, he also played with Saints too and as you say he ended up a much better commentator than a coach.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Can only say for my team.

Chris Anderson.

Coach 2002-2003

Hires Kimmorley.

Preston goes on to win premiership - love him.

GongPanther

Referee
We can go back even further with Bert Holcroft who coached Easts in 1965-1966 with 3 wins and 1 draw in 36 games including not winning a single game in 1966.

John Peard is a fair call though, he had a great side in 1980 with Parramatta but couldn't get them in the top 5, he did even worse when he went on to coach Penrith with only 16 wins from 52 games, still not going to dis the guy though as he was a great player with Easts and Parra, he also played with Saints too and as you say he ended up a much better commentator than a coach.
Was going to mention the 1966 side although I didn't know the coaches name.

yakstorm

First Grade

Yeah, I only took his Brisbane record. Almost feel like his season at the Rabbitohs was an aberration, especially when you also look at his coaching records at South Wales and Mackay as well.

Reflector

Juniors
Wally Lewis, the prime example of a great player being completely useless as a coach. Wally regrets he ever did it.

I remember on the Sunday Footy Show (I think it was) Wally was talking about his time coaching the Seagulls and you could tell how much he still regretted it. The panel immediately took on this hushed, almost melancholy tone. Then Wally finished speaking and it was dead silent for a moment. Then Joey says "Yeah, well we've all done stuff we regret".