What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finally, Boyd to retire!

nick87

Coach
Not to veer this off topic of LOL@Broncos and Darius

But this is a cautionary tale for footballers... this is a very tough game and it takes a great toll on your body, so i dont begrudge any player leaving their club for money... but had Boyd taken a little less and stayed in Canberra, you have to wonder how his career might have turned out and if in the long run he might have actually been better off financially playing 4-5 years @ 500k, over cutting a deal to retire 2 years later because this Titans move has been such a disaster

myrrh ken

First Grade
Not to veer this off topic of LOL@Broncos and Darius

But this is a cautionary tale for footballers... this is a very tough game and it takes a great toll on your body, so i dont begrudge any player leaving their club for money... but had Boyd taken a little less and stayed in Canberra, you have to wonder how his career might have turned out and if in the long run he might have actually been better off financially playing 4-5 years @ 500k, over cutting a deal to retire 2 years later because this Titans move has been such a disaster

What makes you think he would've avoided injuries playing at the raiders?

I mean if you're not going to be in a club that wins a premiership, you might as well get paid playing fewer games.

nick87

Coach
I dont think his decline has been entirely down to just injuries
The game quickly moved towards a different style of front rower and i think the Raiders saw that coming (which is why they moved Papalii there, and focused on recruiting guys like Sutton and developing people like Hors and Guler, who are all very mobile middles)

Based on how Canberra approached the middle forwards, i think had he chosen to stay they'd have got reworked his body shape a lot, stripped some weight off... and i think that would have prolonged his career and probably helped with the injuries. Also this was a club that suited him, he is a country boy at heart and i dont know that heading to a big city, and far from his family has been good for off the park.

There is something to be said for staying in a place you're happy and successful in. But as said, i get it, this game is tough on the body, you have to try and maximise your income too. But sometimes maximising your income short term can impact your earning ability long term.

I dont think it's a giant stretch of the imagination to say it probably would have turned out better for him and his career if he stayed given leaving turned out to be this disastrous. This Titans situation isnt a high bar to clear on that front

myrrh ken

First Grade
I dont think his decline has been entirely down to just injuries
The game quickly moved towards a different style of front rower and i think the Raiders saw that coming (which is why they moved Papalii there, and focused on recruiting guys like Sutton and developing people like Hors and Guler, who are all very mobile middles)

Based on how Canberra approached the middle forwards, i think had he chosen to stay they'd have got reworked his body shape a lot, stripped some weight off... and i think that would have prolonged his career and probably helped with the injuries. Also this was a club that suited him, he is a country boy at heart and i dont know that heading to a big city, and far from his family has been good for off the park.

There is something to be said for staying in a place you're happy and successful in. But as said, i get it, this game is tough on the body, you have to try and maximise your income too. But sometimes maximising your income short term can impact your earning ability long term.

I dont think it's a giant stretch of the imagination to say it probably would have turned out better for him and his career if he stayed given leaving turned out to be this disastrous. This Titans situation isnt a high bar to clear on that front

His style/ body probably not suited for this 6 again stuff although he did lose 6 or 7 kilos at the titans though. A move back to the farm might have always been on the cards. Raiders probably better off.

shear_joy9

Coach
this is an absolute pearler from Darius' dad Wayne:

“He is a leader of men and he has conducted himself with absolute class in what has been a very difficult season"

tenor.gif