What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

More Dragons drama as Tristan Sailor looks for exit

He should quit the game and get into his studies. He’s obviously a very very bright kid.

Architecture is very creative as well.

More creative than Munster with room to run.

Dragon David

First Grade

I applaud the way that the previous coaching personnel treated young Tristan. To me he had stacks of ability and unfortunately was not developed properly. Had he played more games, gained a lot more confidence and showed what he could produce, Griffin might have kept him on. But sadly, they are the breaks and Wendell and his wife are disappointed in all of this.

Hopefully, wherever he goes, he will have success and show us what we could have had.

Dragon David

First Grade
We need to free up every bit of salary cap we are able to.
I get it, it is just a shame that high hopes were held by many of us for this guy and I was so disappointed not to have seen more of him playing in our colours. Looks like I will have to watch him in another guernsey and cheer him on.

What’s done is done Dell, don’t be dumping on the Dragons in public.

Hook can’t develop too much earlier on when he needs to win games and right the sinking ship torpedoed by Mcdelusion.

The club needs to be talked up right now- its been way too long since it’s been on the up Dell. Let the fans have some sunlight mate. 7 years of the coldest and most bitter winter imaginable. Almost as long as the two world wars put together!

There’s a new era of positive thinking Dell. Consider yourself another casualty of McKnucklehead and co.
Address your concerns to them but don’t shit on your club right now and destroy the dreams and promise of Hook and Webby.

And before I forget, you and your mates on 2mmm gave us years of bullshit about McDonkeyhead and what a good bloke he was. And you wouldnt properly support the fail Mary sign guys, when blokes like Soward and carianis wanted Marys head on a pike. I listened to you dell and I was angry for the average sgi fan. I swore at the car radio!

Young Twisty is just one of 5 on their way out with more to come I figure.

Besides, getting into architecture is really hard, we need Tristans academic talent designing affordable and beautiful stadia, housing etc. That’s a talent you should be developing as much as his offload. That’s going to feed his kids for decades, it’s going to add value and happiness in people’s lives.

I was going to suggest dell must be back on the gear, but I fervently disagreed with the length of his suspension. He got smashed, I felt for him.

Dell, we all love our kids bro. Seems to me, you’ve spent too much time with McMerkin, and when you lie down with dogs you wake up with fleas buddy.

Last edited:

TruSaint

Referee
I dont know if the kid has it or not.

I do know under the old regime, he had SFA chance of getting a fair go, as Dell rightly points out. Im glad Dell is speaking his mind. He did qualify what he said by saying that the Club is still very dear to him, but his kid was promised game time and he got zip.

Mary and company have now moved on, and far as I am concerned ex players can air their dirty laundry all they want. In fact the more they do, the more the BOD will be exposed for being complicit in arguably the worst decade in memory.

Good luck to the kid.

Last edited:
I dont know if the kid has it or not.

I do know under the old regime, he has SWA chance of getting a fair go, as Dell rightly points out. Im glad Dell is speaking his mind. He did qualify what he said by saying that the Club is still very dear to him, but his kid was promised game time and he got zip.

Mary and company have now moved on, and far as I am concerned ex players can air their dirty laundry all they want. In fact the more they do, the more the BOD will be exposed for being complicit in arguably the worst decade in memory.

Good luck to the kid.

Fair comment. And yes, good luck to the kid. That’s the critical point.

ALSGI

Bench
Firstly, good luck to Sailor Jnr.

I never saw anything that excited me with Tristan tbh not like Dufty, Lomax, Ramsay and MaxF.

As for Dell’s comments re his Son, no problems as a Father I’d do the same in his position unfortunately. My only issue re Dell’s comments are he also praised Mary and all things SGI for all these years as an Ambassador. He’s another ex player I enjoyed but had his nose in the old boys trough too long, probably expecting more for his kid from the club for all the wrong reasons.

I don’t think Wendell’s comments have helped Tristan’s credentials or prospects with other clubs either, probably just highlighted his deficiencies more.

Good luck to Tristan and well done on Wendell and Tristan’s service to the club.
They were also both well paid, supported and reaped plenty of benefits along the way.

The media surrounding Tristan also highlights another question for me.

I’m really happy to see footy juniors pursue education but I’d like to know more about the grants someone like Tristan gets to go to Uni and hope there’s not more grants for a second degree. My kids didn’t qualify for any grants let alone for a second degree.

VodkaSaint

Juniors
so Tristian Sailor and hes Dada having a sook, They have themselves to blame, Sailor only wanted a 1 year contract, since then Saints have tied there money up with better up and coming Juniors, Sullivan is way better i reckon

possm

Coach
Fair comment. And yes, good luck to the kid. That’s the critical point.
Right now we need to sink every available salrary cap dollar we can get into player that will immediately strengthen our forward pack. Those young players with promise need to be on as close to the base salary as possible and show enough promise that gives our new coaching staff the confidence to develop them.

RED73V

Juniors
IMO I think Tristan is a talented kid but his defence was questionable. Good luck to him I hope he gets what he wants out of Rugby :rugby_football: League. As for Dell he is kidding himself, like Silverdale phantom said he never spoke a bad word about Mary for his whole tenure. Actually quite the opposite sticking up for him instead of being true to his own beliefs . Obviously trying to advance Tristans career prospects which I understand as his father but blind Freddy could see Mary couldn’t coach for SH#T !!!

possm

Coach
A real beat up if you ask me, Sailors contract is up this Sunday and no offer to subsidise his income to he can further is education has been made by the club.

I wish him all the best in whatever career he chooses to follow.

The reason I would have him retire from the game now and pursue his Architecture Degree is because of the following:

1. It’s really difficult to reach elite levels in the nrl. Only the best of the best can earn outstanding money over a decent period. The career is so limited. One of the Hughes Brothers (dogs boys) told me the average nrl career turnover is only about 50-60 games.

2. Its an extremely dangerous game and good players are really lucky if the finish their tenure without chronic injury, many of which are painful every second, every minute, every hour (source: Peter Wynn) and a lot of people are adverse to Painkillers as they hurt the mind. Pete can’t even walk properly. Carl Webb etc, Roach lives with a perpetual stuffed knee that wipes him out every now and again. it’s a horror show out there for many of our ex players. People are not designed for the impact of our amazing game.

3. Ex players can really struggle and every now and then, they committ suicide, turn to drugs and get depressed. Not everyone has the sparkling personality of Dell to have a media career. I remember it became a national pastime to give Dell a hard time over his dropped balls and bad passes for awhile. Getting drunk and watching Dell fumble was a good time at the rsl club. Nothing personal.

I looked at the entrance marks for Architecture at unsw. They only guarantee entry for the top 5% of students in NSW. That’s not too far below medicine etc. So if his academics are a guide, Tristan is some kind of genius. The top architects earn a lot more than the top league players over their entire careers. So he will be better off financially in the long run and it makes him happy. I’ve met failed players ( work with one) and their prospects can be extremely high in another occupation.

Which is not to dishonour our footballers in any way, in fact a lot of their sacrifice and courage goes largely unrewarded. Especially stock models. I look up to all of them in that way.

But for this young bloke, unless he’s a prodigy, he should put himself first and take advantage of that fortune of birth as a geek and I hear he is very funny and endearing. A good young kid. Raised very well by Dell and his beautiful wife.

Being a ordinary stock fan of the game is a bloody good wicket once you get your head into it. Tristan doesn’t have to abandon that. You don’t have to be “ special” or any crap like that to relax and enjoy it.

Last edited:

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
The reason I would have him retire from the game now and pursue his Architecture Degree is because of the following:

1. It’s really difficult to reach elite levels in the nrl. Only the best of the best can earn outstanding money over a decent period. The career is so limited. One of the Hughes Brothers (dogs boys) told me the average nrl career turnover is only about 50-60 games.

2. Its an extremely dangerous game and good players are really lucky if the finish their tenure without chronic injury, many of which are painful every second, every minute, every hour (source: Peter Wynn) and a lot of people are adverse to Painkillers as they hurt the mind. Pete can’t even walk properly. Carl Webb etc, Roach lives with a perpetual stuffed knee that wipes him out every now and again. it’s a horror show out there for many of our ex players. People are not designed for the impact of our amazing game.

3. Ex players can really struggle and every now and then, they committ suicide, turn to drugs and get depressed. Not everyone has the sparkling personality of Dell to have a media career. I remember it became a national pastime to give Dell a hard time over his dropped balls and bad passes for awhile. Getting drunk and watching Dell fumble was a good time at the rsl club. Nothing personal.

I looked at the entrance marks for Architecture at unsw. They only guarantee entry for the top 5% of students in NSW. That’s not too far below medicine etc. So if his academics are a guide, Tristan is some kind of genius. The top architects earn a lot more than the top league players over their entire careers. So he will be better off financially in the long run and it makes him happy. I’ve met failed players ( work with one) and their prospects can be extremely high in another occupation.

Which is not to dishonour our footballers in any way, in fact a lot of their sacrifice and courage goes largely unrewarded. Especially stock models. I look up to all of them in that way.

But for this young bloke, unless he’s a prodigy, he should put himself first and take advantage of that fortune of birth as a geek and I hear he is very funny and endearing. A good young kid. Raised very well by Dell and his beautiful wife.

Being a ordinary stock fan of the game is a bloody good wicket once you get your head into it. Tristan doesn’t have to abandon that. You don’t have to be “ special” or any crap like that to relax and enjoy it.
Yeah he’s a smart bloke and not the stereotype meathead footy player that is for sure. He’s arty, loves books and seems pretty balanced. While I think he could still make a great 5/8 it isn’t the end of the world and as you say it’s a great career he’s looking to get into.

Latest posts