What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

KEARNEY GONE!

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I’ve got time for Kearney and think he has things to offer. He has obvious integrity and players like him. He’s good on discipline and team culture. He can motivate people. But he’s either not a tactician or unable to articulate game plans and successful attacking structures clearly to his players. And this makes him a lousy head coach. Good assistant, yes. Good rep coach, yes, because at rep level it tends to be more about motivation and team culture. But not a head coach for the week in week out season grind.
he asked for three years to produce a finals contender. He was on track after two (though only on track, not doing exceptionally), but the loss of SJ (who for all his faults could always pull a certain number of wins each year out of his arse with individual clutch plays) exploded his lack of ability to coach attacking structure, and he failed at his own assessment point.
He was given another six weeks this year and a 2-4 record with none of the losses being close isn’t pretty.
It was time for him to go and I’m glad the new owner isn’t waiting around.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I’ve got time for Kearney and think he has things to offer. He has obvious integrity and players like him. He’s good on discipline and team culture. He can motivate people. But he’s either not a tactician or unable to articulate game plans and successful attacking structures clearly to his players. And this makes him a lousy head coach. Good assistant, yes. Good rep coach, yes, because at rep level it tends to be more about motivation and team culture. But not a head coach for the week in week out season grind.
he asked for three years to produce a finals contender. He was on track after two (though only on track, not doing exceptionally), but the loss of SJ (who for all his faults could always pull a certain number of wins each year out of his arse with individual clutch plays) exploded his lack of ability to coach attacking structure, and he failed at his own assessment point.
He was given another six weeks this year and a 2-4 record with none of the losses being close isn’t pretty.
It was time for him to go and I’m glad the new owner isn’t waiting around.

Completely agree with all of this.

Kearney would be a very, very good assistant (and I'm sure already has been). To a strong head coach, that is. Has the ear of Kiwis players, which is significant in most teams, the Polynesian guys etc, and seemingly has an idea defensively. But he's consistently exhibited he doesn't know how to bring the full package together to form a strong side and to beat top 8 teams.

JJ

Immortal
Well we're still less f**ked than we were

Whoever the new coach is should refresh the staff

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
His record is better than the other candidates, if you're not talking about the ones on contract (Maguire, Bellamy etc). Most likely isn't a premiership coach but I don't think I'd agree we'd be f**ked.

If he's named coach we'll be having this same "who's our next coach" conversation in 2022/23 and probably with guys like RTS/Harris etc long gone.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Heard some interesting commentary on the ABC warriors call that I think was relevant to Kearney. The ex players were saying that as a player you often develop a closer relationship with the assistant than the head coach, as they’re the ones who do the one on one stuff, and maintain individual player welfare and address their concerns etc. I think that’s the stuff that SK excels at and why he was popular with players and never lost the dressing room, and why for the most part the team generally always tried under him. But without the strategic nous and a gameplan effort will only get you so far. I think he’s got a long career in coaching ahead of him- but he’s going to have to settle for assistant/player welfare type roles In the NRL. That’s his ceiling. Of course rep coaching is a different matter and I can see him going there again.

Reactions: JJ

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Have literally not heard a peep from Kearney since he got sacked. Not a single word. Normally sacked coaches go on the charm offensive straight away to set up their next job.

Hope he's all good

JJ

Immortal
Hidden message there JJ?
Freudian slip?

nah, awful head coach anyone who suggests otherwise isn’t watching. Clearly useful in a strong system

he probably wants another head coach role but a club would have to be bonkers

Leber

Bench
Best role for him.

Id like to see him get involved in the international scene with one of the island nations too.