What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kalyn Ponga

Apey

Staff member
It’s cool to bag him but Ponga has been hung out to dry this year. I fear how our season would have gone without him. He’s had zero help. Some weeks he pulls it out of the bag, other weeks he flounders with the rest of them. A lot of responsibility on a small kid fullback.

I actually think his commitment in D has been good. He misses the same tackles every fullback does.
We'd be well out of the 8 without him which to be fair is probably where we belong.

There's a dozen problems with our team I'd be blaming before the primary source of all our points.

Perth Red

Post Whore
He signs that million dollar contract on his own though don't he....

blame dumb clubs for throwing silly money at 21 year olds raising expectations beyond reality. He’s not going to say no is he? He’s 22, if he still isn’t a rep player by 25 you can say he was a waste of money.

perverse

Referee
He's one of the only reasons we're playing finals instead of finishing 12-14th this year. I don't think we'd be Brisbane levels of bad without him, but we may be close.

aqua_duck

Coach
I know it's fun to pick on the marquee players but without Ponga we'd be around 13th-14th, the reliance on him is ridiculous and opposition teams realise that now, at times it's literally under 8s stuff with 3 one out hit ups and then give it to Ponga and hope for the best, I mean to out things in perspective he's leading the team in try assists, line break assists, line breaks, 2nd in tries and has twice as many tackle breaks as anyone else, sure there were a few tackles at the back last night he probably should've done better but the fact those players broke the line so easily is more of an issue. If you want to point the finger at any knights players it's Pearce, his regression this year has been significant from making origin and winning the decider to now being barely 1st grade quality.

Knight76

Juniors

Clearly Barnett is the player involved. Nothing proven yet but not a good look and Barnett would be in the leadership group at the club. Wait and see what comes of the investigation.

As for Ponga, he is brilliant but can't be expected to win us games every week. Unfortunately the other 16 are mental midgets and unable to take care of their own performance.

There are still a lot of issues within the Knights club and KP is not anywhere near the top of the list.

nick87

Coach
Classic knights
Racist and refusing to acknowledge fair criticism of their best player.
Page 1 of their manual

Ponga is a great player capable of cutting teams up and I don’t think anyone thinks he’s the problem there or they’d be better without him but he is one of the first to phone it in when things aren’t going his way

AJB1102

First Grade
Ponga is a great player capable of cutting teams up and I don’t think anyone thinks he’s the problem there or they’d be better without him but he is one of the first to phone it in when things aren’t going his way

Exactly. The highly paid x-factor player needs to put his hand up when the chips are down. Where's the deep, lustful glares into Pierce's eyes when you're not flying? A bit too chilled sometimes and lacks fight or mongrel. Maybe lacks that because he never had to bust arse to make it. Compare to the other 22 year old fullback whose battled significant injury and worked hard. 1 took the game by the balls, the other feigned trying.

shear_joy9

Coach
Yeah I think I’ve read you say that like twice tonight and you obviously have a thing for him. If he starts missing tackles he should make I’ll let you know. In the meantime I couldn’t care how he looks when he misses ones that were hail marys for any fullback.

Don’t think you’ll find many Knights fans questioning his commitment in defence or saying he’s not up to it.

I could make a compilation video of his defensive “efforts” this season and it would only rival Darius.

Willie Ray

Bench
blame dumb clubs for throwing silly money at 21 year olds raising expectations beyond reality. He’s not going to say no is he? He’s 22, if he still isn’t a rep player by 25 you can say he was a waste of money.
I agree with what you're saying 100%...
but with that big contract comes a sh*tload of scrutiny,
hence this thread...
watching the highlights of the Titans game right now,
some of the defensive efforts were woeful not just from
Ponga but from another highly paid player as well,
as most supporters of any team will tell you I just want to see
them having a go.....the more money you earn the higher the
expectation.

wittyfan

Referee
Ponga and Pearce kissing has been the only Ponga highlight for me this year.

And Newcastle should do the right thing and give their spot in the finals to the Titans.

Front-Rower

First Grade
Ponga is the new Benji.

Whilst he has speed and footwork he’ll be the hottest ticket in town. Once that goes, well let’s hope he develops the footy smarts the other guy hasn’t.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
Kalyn Ponga had a stint at Churchie in Brisbane which means he may or may not;
- wears RMW boots without ever hopping on a horse;
- loves a down puffer jacket or vest through Brisbane's 25c winter days (brrr);
- buys some 'weed' from suspicious characters outside Carindale shops to get a mad high but it is actually ground nutmeg and mixed herbs; and;
- rocked a manbun before it was cool.

Last edited:

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Kalyn Ponga had a stint at Churchie in Brisbane which means he;
- wears RMW boots without ever hopping on a horse;
- loves a down puffer jacket or vest through Brisbane's 25c winter days (brrr);
- buys some 'weed' from suspicious characters outside Carindale shops to get a mad high but it is actually ground nutmeg and mixed herbs; and;
- rocked a manbun before it was cool.
LOL!!!

I passed a heap of those merkins yesterday FFS!! It was f**king 30 you Nimrods.

Latest posts