What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Toronto Gone?

The Great Dane

First Grade
Tomorrow is the big day. Really hoping the super league is pro expansion.
Not to be too pessimistic, but a lot of the clubs never have been in the past so why would we expect them to be now.

Unless there's something tangible in it for them of course, then they'll be all for it.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Not to be too pessimistic, but a lot of the clubs never have been in the past so why would we expect them to be now.

Unless there's something tangible in it for them of course, then they'll be all for it.

you make it sound like altruism should be a driving attribute of private businesses lol.

The Great Dane

First Grade
you make it sound like altruism should be a driving attribute of private businesses lol.
I'm not asking for altruism, I'm asking for certain English clubs to treat others how they would like to be treated and to have a little bit of long term thinking instead of being incapable of planning past the next few years.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Seems they’ve learnt nothing. SL only asked them for two things and they couldn’t deliver on either of them.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'm not asking for altruism, I'm asking for certain English clubs to treat others how they would like to be treated and to have a little bit of long term thinking instead of being incapable of planning past the next few years.

hang on, every other club who has gone into administration has been punished accordingly. I can’t think of one that has had to pull out of a season all together and failed to pay its players. SL has to have confidence that toronto are a viable club moving forward, the owner hasn’t yet given them evidence of that.
Pretty sure if my club hasn’t got a new owner by next season and tells SL it’s taking a year off until it can afford to play again they won’t just say, sure come back when you’re ready!

greenBV4

Bench
hang on, every other club who has gone into administration has been punished accordingly. I can’t think of one that has had to pull out of a season all together and failed to pay its players. SL has to have confidence that toronto are a viable club moving forward, the owner hasn’t yet given them evidence of that.
Pretty sure if my club hasn’t got a new owner by next season and tells SL it’s taking a year off until it can afford to play again they won’t just say, sure come back when you’re ready!
regardless of if it was bound to happen anyway or not they do have covid on their side though

Perth Red

Post Whore
regardless of if it was bound to happen anyway or not they do have covid on their side though

they do, but it’s clear there were massive issues Covid or no Covid.
English clubs offered them players so they could play the season in uk but they couldnt afford to pay anyone. I’d be happy to see them back in next year with a 6 point penalty IF they can prove they can actually put a team out and are willing to play in uk if covid is still an issue.

Pommy

Coach

Are we just pretending that English clubs wouldn’t have gone in to administration without the government helping out?

Warriors Fever

Juniors
London as the last club relegated, and an expansion club to boot.
You could possibly do that but they were hardly the favourites to go back up this year, so would still be a bit unfair. Plus their ground is too small and they need to have a plan of getting more support. At least in their short existence the Wolfpack have found a way to get bums on seats London have never attempted to get anyone to jump on board.

Getmefood

Juniors
Rob Elstone with SL will probably have to investigate Ottawa as well, only have to look at the NZ Warriors situation over here. Should covid improve you'd look at having Toronto & Ottawa back (maybe NY too?), if not SL would be better having Toulouse or London replace them for now.

Pommy

Coach
Rob Elstone with SL will probably have to investigate Ottawa as well, only have to look at the NZ Warriors situation over here. Should covid improve you'd look at having Toronto & Ottawa back (maybe NY too?), if not SL would be better having Toulouse or London replace them for now.

Ottawa are starting the third tier so that’s not really an issue.

siv

First Grade
Toronto Ottawa New York should form a breakaway North American professional league

Maybe adding a Jamaica team

greenBV4

Bench
Toronto Ottawa New York should form a breakaway North American professional league

Maybe adding a Jamaica team
They can't for the same reason the pacific teams being added to the nsw/qld cups couldn't form there own

money

plus there wouldnt be much interest generated from a 4 team round robin (ala w-nrl)

Perth Red

Post Whore
Are we just pretending that English clubs wouldn’t have gone in to administration without the government helping out?

we would have seen players having to take a massive pay cut, but I doubt anyone would have gone into administration given sky honoured the contract.