What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 20 vs Storm

boardlumps62

Juniors
Same shit different day......we are an embarrassing rabble against their B grade side....thanks Board members thanks McGregor and Young and thanks to our timid schoolboy players....wake up to yourselves and start doing your jersey proud...win or lose at least have a crack
But wait things might change like Melb get tired only Reserve Grade remember!

slippery5

Juniors
Our back rowers are not talented enough with ball in hand. They don't create enough second phase play or offload when they make a half break. I like ford for example but he just did a lot of running into players today instead of hitting a gap. Host can be easily replaced and hopefully from a footy perspective De Belin is back and we can do a lot to build from within.

Happy for hook to come in and get rid of the following and look for something fresher up front:

Kerr - plateaued terribly, bad defense
Merrin - why did they even bother?
Host (gone)
Sims 1 - past it, injury prone
Sims 2 - past it, injury prone
Fuimoaono - not offering much at all since making a good first hit out
Ellis - nothing special really
I think you can add the front row also.

slippery5

Juniors
Today’s game reinforced that we will have a very competitive backline in 2021. Sullivan must replace Norman and with our young wingers and centres coming through, it is just a matter of whether Hunt or Clune plays halfback. Anthony Griffin must be targeting two tough prop forwards at least one back rower. I am still hopeful that a deal can be achieved with the Brisbane for Tevita Pangai Jnr.
Listening to Griffin He didn't mention Clune in any conversation, but talked about Hunt taking them within one play of a premiership at 7 & Young Sullivan coming through. I would be very surprised if that is not our starting combination next year

Gareth67

First Grade
By all that is holy ( I went to bed at 18-6 :pensive: ) the boys actually won ! Well that is the best news I have had since the announcement of the maestros departure .

Well done lads , may you fellas have a good drinking session to night , bond together for
next season and send that A-hole Storm coach a text along the lines of :- “ Up yours you cheating berstard “ .

Last edited:

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Listening to Griffin He didn't mention Clune in any conversation, but talked about Hunt taking them within one play of a premiership at 7 & Young Sullivan coming through. I would be very surprised if that is not our starting combination next year
Round 1 I’d start Sullivan 7 Hunt 6 and McInnes 9. I would get a kicking coach in to work on all three long kicking game. McInnes, Sullivan can still improve. Hunt may be too late but worth a shot.

getsmarty

Immortal
remote.axd

Match Highlights: Dragons v Storm

MATCH REPORT

Young guns shine to beat the Storm
Author
Dan Walsh NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Sun 27 Sep 2020, 07:46 PM
walshdan-head.png

A fuming Craig Bellamy has declared suggestions Max King had "intent to injure" in a hip drop tackle as ridiculous, as the Storm's seemingly annual September wrestling drama overshadowed a 30-22 win by the Dragons on Sunday.

For 40 minutes the second-least experienced side in NRL history had the Red V on the rocks, but an ugly tackle in which Blake Lawrie twisted awkwardly landed King on report as St George Illawarra rallied against the Storm's second-stringers.

Tui Kamikamica may also face repercussions for a heavy, late shot on Dragons rookie Jayden Sullivan, which came before the Fijian was forced off with an ankle injury which has him in doubt for Saturday's qualifying final against Parramatta in Brisbane.

Panthers great Greg Alexander was scathing in Fox Sports commentary, claiming there was "an intent to injure" in King's tackle.

"I think that incident in itself is worthy of 10 minutes in the bin," Alexander said.

remote.axd

King placed on report for tackle on Lawrie

King placed on report for tackle on Lawrie

"That is foul play, that is obvious foul play. That has started this year (the hip-drop tackle).

"That’s got an intent to injure, that’s what that has got in it."

Bellamy bristled when told of Alexander's comments.

"That's ridiculous," he said.

Bellamy backs King, says finals are his only focus

"That is ridiculous. I'd very disappointed if any player in the competition goes out to intentionally injure an opposition player. That is ridiculous.

"I didn't see it closely," he said of King's tackle earlier in his media conference.

"From what I saw there was a heap of bodies entangled there. I'll have to have a look at it and see what happens.

Match: Dragons v Storm

Round 20 - Sunday 27th September

Full Time

Home Team

Dragons

Scored 30 points

Away Team

Storm

Scored 22 points

Venue: Netstrata Jubilee Stadium, Sydney

"Obviously that's out of our control, we'll have to see what the match review committee come down with."

Given the last match of a regular season like no other had no bearing on Melbourne's ladder position or finals future, Bellamy trotted out a line-up with just 547 games of prior NRL experience behind them.

For perspective, only the Baby Broncos side that Bellamy coached in 2002 – 456 games – have taken to the paddock with less to their collective names, while absent skipper Cameron Smith watched on from Queensland with 427 outings on his own.

Smith and the best part of a dozen Storm troops will return for Saturday's showdown with Parramatta, while Melbourne's fringe players to man impressed with their much-needed game time.

When they trailed late and were required to make an interchange as Chris Lewis went for a HIA, Bellamy opted to play with 12 rather than send Brandon Smith back out "cold" and risk an injury ahead of the finals.

Kamikamica will be sent for scans on his ankle and is in doubt the Eels clash, but Bellamy still took positives out of a hard fought loss that saw Melbourne score four tries to two in the first half.

"I was really happy with their effort," Bellamy said.

"We played really energetically in that first half but the whole game.

"We had plenty of effort but lost our control and grip on the game in the second half. A few little things where we should have been building pressure we just put back on ourselves.

"We defended really well and attacked really well. We just couldn't keep it up in the second half.

"For a lot of those guys it's a real learning experience, as long as we take that out of it."

Despite missing a galaxy of regular stars, only Ryan Papenhuyzen's four missed sideline conversions with a decent breeze playing havoc kept the Dragons in it during the first half.

With Papenhuyzen playing puppet master Melbourne raced in four tries, three of them in the first 19 minutes, as the home side struggled to keep pace.

Fans on the Kogarah hill would've been eyeing the exit by that point, only for Zac Lomax and Matt Dufty to get them on their feet for the right reasons.

remote.axd

Kamikamica hits Sullivan late

Kamikamica hits Sullivan late

The former toed a ball forward for the latter to pick up and touch down following a Cody Ramsey break to get the Dragons on the board. Kamikamica's shot on Sullivan came in the lead-up.

A Tyson Frizell try before the break – again from a Dufty short ball – kept them in it, before the gun No.1 and debutant Sullivan took charge in the second half.

Lomax's 63rd-minute penalty try, awarded due to Ricky Leutele illegally shouldering him off the ball in pursuit of a grubber, gave St George Illawarra a lead that Melbourne threatened, but never reeled in.

Some mid-field brilliance from captain Cam McInnes then extended it, with Dufty streaking away for a 24-16 advantage.

Fellow livewire Nicho Hynes kept the Storm in it though 12 minutes later, grubbering and regathering for an impressive solo try and a two-point ballgame.

Denied tries to Josh Kerr and Paul Momirovski from kicks kept the Bunker busy and the result on a knife's edge, until a 77th-minute chip by 19-year-old Sullivan sat up for Frizell to seal it with his second.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2020/09/27/young-guns-shine-to-beat-the-storm/

getsmarty

Immortal
Bellamy fumes in defence of Storm players
  • NRL
    r0_0_800_600_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Tyson Frizell scored two tries in his final game for the Dragons in the win over Melbourne.
    Craig Bellamy has angrily hit back at claims Melbourne's Max King tried to injure a rival player in the Storm's 30-22 loss to St George Illawarra, labelling them ridiculous.

The Dragons ended their sorry NRL season with a win on Sunday against an undermanned Storm, with Tyson Frizell bagging a double in his farewell game.

But even after resting 12 of their starting 17, the Storm still have several headaches ahead of next week's qualifying final against Parramatta.

King was placed on report for a hip-drop tackle on Blake Lawrie, which prompted him to briefly leave the field injured.

Former Dally M Medallist Greg Alexander claimed in Fox League commentary there was "an intent to injure" from the "obvious foul play".

The comments angered Bellamy, who has previously had to defend his team's tackling style time and time again on the eve of the finals.

"That's ridiculous. That is ridiculous" Bellamy said.

"I would be very disappointed if any player in the competition goes out to intentionally injure an opposition player.

"That is ridiculous."

The veteran coach said he had not seen the tackle properly when asked if he had concerns over whether he would be suspended.

"I didn't see it closely," Bellamy said.

"There were bodies entangled there. We'll have to have a look at it."

Tui Kamikamica could also be under the microscope for a first-half shoulder charge on Jayden Sullivan after he'd passed, despite it going unpenalised on field.

Making matters worse, Kamikamica finished the game off the field with an ankle injury.

"I'm not quite sure how bad it is yet, but it's certainly a concern for next week," Bellamy said.

But even while fielding the second least experienced side in the NRL era with just 547 games between them, the Storm still looked likely to win at times.

They led 16-6 before letting the game slip in the second half, and finished the game with 12 men as Bellamy opted against putting rested players back on the field after other injuries.

Both sides scored five tries, but the Storm were left to rue four missed conversions from stand-in skipper Ryan Papenhuyzen who was otherwise their best.

The fullback set up their first when he sliced through the Dragons' left-edge defence and put Paul Momirovski over.

He also threw the last pass for Chris Lewis to score another, this time catching the Dragons' right edge short with his speed.

But after Sandor Earl and Isaac Lumelume also both crossed off kicks, Frizell's farewell party began in his 165th and final game for the Dragons before moving to Newcastle.

He ran onto a Matt Dufty ball to make it 16-12 at the break, before the Dragons were given the lead in the second half via a penalty try to Zac Lomax.

McInnes was the man who laid the grubber on for Lomax, as well as the Dragons' next when he burst down field and put Dufty over.

Then after Nicho Hynes put the Storm back in the game when he grubbered for himself, Frizell cemented the Dragons' win by claiming a Sullivan kick and scoring.

"I thought he (Frizell) was great," coach Dean Young said.

"He had the most runs he had all year, so he obviously wanted to finish on a high."
https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/6943945/bellamy-fumes-in-defence-of-storm-players/?cs=7486

jak

Bench
By all that is holy ( I went to bed at 18-6 :pensive: ) the boys actually won ! Well that is the best news I have had since the announcement of the maestros departure .

Well done lads , may you fellas have a good drinking session to night , bond together for
next season and send that A-hole Bellamy a text along the lines of :- “ Up yours you cheating berstard “ .
so can we send you to bed early each week next year.

getsmarty

Immortal
Melbourne Storm’s Max King under fire for dangerous ‘hip drop’ tackle
The commentary team were calling for Melbourne Storm forward Max King to cop a suspension after this “grubby” tackle attempt.

Nic Savage

nic_savage1
d957f5bd6b539c131349f0036232e062

2 comments
September 27, 20207:41pm
44455376811d3f7a284e48d6e53d11c3

Melbourne Storm forward Max King has come under fire after attempting a dangerous “hip drop” tackle during Sunday afternoon’s NRL match against the St George Illawarra Dragons.

In the 26th minute of the round 20 match at Netstrata Jubilee Stadium, Dragons prop Blake Lawrie ran into the Storm’s defensive line for a regulation tackle. He was grasped by Melbourne hooker Brandon Smith, but as referee Matt Cecchin called held, King grabbed onto Lawrie’s waist and awkwardly pulled him towards the turf.

With King’s weight resting heavily on the 23-year-old’s right leg, his entire body was then gruesomely bent backwards.

Play was halted and a trainer ran onto the field after Lawrie slowly returned to his feet in considerable pain, and the Fox League commentators voiced their disgust.

Blake Lawrie off with leg injury, concern by video for syndesmosis/MCL injury (hopefully minor) with twist & contact in tackle. Once again variation of the hip drop tackle in practice, nasty technique. Has crept into the game & poses significant risk to knee/ankle of ball carrier pic.twitter.com/clgsFvvcOu

— NRL PHYSIO (@nrlphysio) September 27, 2020
NRL LIVE SCORES: Round 20 match centres

“That’s a bad tackle over the back there,” Andrew Voss immediately said.

Penrith Panthers legend Greg Alexander replied: “That hurt, that hurt, leg twisted.

“He got that right leg stuck under.

“That’s the example of what we don’t want in the game. Drops onto the leg and pulls the player over. That’s shocking.

“That’s got intent. It’s got intent, and intent to injure.”

4d83e8eb852c89d62436e1ec76f486dd

Blake Lawrie of the Dragons is attended to by trainers.Source:Getty Images

Lawrie was taken off the field and King was put on report for the incident, but Alexander believed the 23-year-old was lucky not to be sent off for 10 minutes.

“That incident in itself is worthy of 10 minutes in the bin. That’s foul play; that’s obvious foul play,” Alexander said.

“He will leave the field; that will be the end of Blake Lawrie.”

Voss elaborated: “If the authorities really believe this is a tackle that has crept into the game, well I hope they have learnt from experience where we allowed some wrestling techniques and only gave players a slap on the wrist.

“If you really want to stamp it out of the game, then put 2-4 weeks on it to rub it completely out.

“So let’s knock it out the game! Who wants young kids learning that tackle?”

Brisbane Broncos great Ben Ikin also condemned the tackle at halftime: “That’s just not what you want to see on a rugby league field, and not what the Storm needed heading into finals.”

My god that's a bad tackle....#NRLDragonsStorm

— Simon Brunsdon (@SimonBrunsdon) September 27, 2020
Gee that was grubby from Max King. We don’t want that nonsense in the game. #NRL

— Mark Gottlieb (@MarkGottlieb) September 27, 2020
I didn’t like the Max King tackle at all. But let’s be careful of accusing players for trying to injure others. His intent was to slow the play the ball down - like all other hip drops - not intentionally hurt anyone. I agree it does deserve suspension #NRLDragonsStorm

— Joshua Wells (@joshuawells93) September 27, 2020
READ MORE: NRL world thanks saviours

READ MORE: NRL finals dates, venues unveiled

Speaking to reporters after the match, Melbourne coach Craig Bellamy rubbished claims King intended to injure his opponent.

“That is ridiculous … that is ridiculous,” Bellamy said.

“I’d be very disappointed in any player in the competition who goes out to intentionally injure an opposition player. That is ridiculous.

“I didn’t see it closely, from what I saw there was a heap of bodies entangled there ... we will have to have a look at it and see what happens.

“The first bit of that is out of our control and up to the review committee.”

The Storm fielded an inexperience side on Sunday, resting their experienced stars ahead of next week’s finals match against the Parramatta Eels.

However, the decision backfired when the Dragons secured a 30-22 win, their seventh of the season.

St George fullback Matthew Dufty and second-rower Tyson Frizell — who was playing his final match for the club — each snared a double, with Zac Lomax also mustering a classy try during the victory.

Although Melbourne will remain in second spot on the NRL ladder, the Dragons will finish the season in 11th position, overtaking the Manly Sea Eagles.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/m...e/news-story/bf9b8ec3cbafe761a225ed88f1ad7df6

slippery5

Juniors
Did anyone see the dressing sheds pre game, Dufty in conversation with Norman looked a little whispers while Sullivan walked past it looked like Norman watched him in envy & then Simms then went to Norman & said something to which Norman rolled his eyes in a very annoyance look.
Just me thinking too much into it probably, but I don't think so.