What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who are we buying for 2021 onwards

Rich102

Staff member
I think we should resign Adam Keighran. He has proved he is a classy centre as well as good cover in the halves. Wasn't he an Australian schoolboy rep? Would be a shame to see him go.

Reactions: Izz

Penrose_11

Juniors
Agree on Keighran. Very limited opportunity this year thru injury and took his chances well. Def worth depth signing and with good off season would certainly put pressure on to be included in the bench utility spot. Herbert is another i’d sign as well. Also think Fus and Ken will be under a bit of pressure for next year. Herbert showed good speed of the mark when turning or challenging for the ball. That’s usually not something Warriors type wingers are renound for. Interesting to see which way Brown/Gus go with this next season

JJ

Immortal
Centre pairing of Hiku and Keighran would do for me - admittedly Manly are rubbish, but Keighran seems to have a fair but to offer - Aitken is fine, but Keighran's hands, footwork etc - like Hiku's, can create space...

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Paasi and Evans are the same age, and BMM is only a year older.

Less accomplished? Paasi is on around 100 games, where as BMM is closer to 200 (albeit some is made up from games in ESL and not NRL)

You can't just gloss over the difference between ESL and NRL like that, the ESL is full of players who are not NRL standard.

BMM has only played 58 NRL games, between 2010-2015. In his last two seasons with the Panthers, 2014-15, he only played 6 NRL games and the rest in reserve grade.

As a Warriors fan I assume you know that Paasi started almost every game in 2018-2019 before basically being injured or unavailable throughout 2020.

We are replacing a regular NRL starter with a guy who left the NRL because he had become a reserve grader by age 24 after playing 58 games over 5 years.

Honestly, it's pretty damn obvious who the more accomplished NRL player is at the moment. One guy has been a regular starter for the last few seasons before injury and COVID hit this year. The other hasn't been an NRL regular for 7 YEARS and left the comp when he was on the outer.

Pasi, as mentioned around 100m per game, not sure on our new boys but Paasi isn't exactly a 'big' loss.

That's just rubbish man, an arbitrary stat thrown out to discredit a solid performer after the event

Here are the 2019 metres per game for our props (since Bunty, Paasi and Ah Mau were all pretty much out in 2020)

109 - Ah Mau
98 - Paasi
89 - Afoa
86 - Burr

It's been ages since the Warriors went with one specific metre eater/big minutes prop, clearly the workload and minutes are shared between the middle forwards and our back 3 tend to dominate the metres gained stat. To single out one prop for "low workrate" because you happen to be trying to justify dropping him now is nonsense.

Ugh, I don't even care about Paasi really but boy do I hate bad arguments on the internet.

JJ

Immortal
Think I said elsewhere BMM has a lot to prove, as Manu notes he’s not achieved much in the NRL. The hype is strange, and based on international stuff.... AFB is the game changer, I’m a bit meh on BMM and Evans

BLN2

Juniors
Can't see much downside in the offer. His crimes are hardly career write off stuff, more naive youngster mistakes. Might not work out but worth a punt.

We need more than Paul Turner as halves back up for sure.

Matua

Bench
Can't see much downside in the offer. His crimes are hardly career write off stuff, more naive youngster mistakes. Might not work out but worth a punt.

We need more than Paul Turner as halves back up for sure.
Bahaha we really do want to offer a contract to everyone who has trouble in their careers, although I agree his 'crimes' pale in comparison to the woman assaulters we've been chasing lately.

Rich102

Staff member
OK.
Where are we?
We have bought a centre and strengthened our prop rotation.
I am still concerned that with our current spine we will be lucky to be a top 8 side.
RTS is top class but our halves and hookers are middle of the road; at best. We just lack strike power there.
Is it possible that we are going all-in for Harry Grant? He would solve a big part of our problems and give the forwards some real menace.
CHT has to have a real big off-season.

JJ

Immortal
OK.
Where are we?
We have bought a centre and strengthened our prop rotation.
I am still concerned that with our current spine we will be lucky to be a top 8 side.
RTS is top class but our halves and hookers are middle of the road; at best. We just lack strike power there.
Is it possible that we are going all-in for Harry Grant? He would solve a big part of our problems and give the forwards some real menace.
CHT has to have a real big off-season.
If we could get Grant, that would be brilliant... (similarly with Smith) - #7 is a key issue though - but the bottom line is there are few truly elite 7s and 9s around, and with salary caps you can't have them in all positions - unless the cap doesn't apply, or like the Storm you develop people with talent...

If we can't get anyone, I think the long game is important - stick with CHT and Egan, imo, they both have talent - develop them...

waipiro

Juniors
OK.

Maybe a good chance to develop Turner more who has an x factor about him.
CHT played well enough to have a chance to keep developing as well.
Jayden Nikorima and Kodi can both play halves and hooker so a few options to move guys dependent on who steps up in the off season.
Im much happier with those options over Blake green for another year!

SmashEmBro

Juniors
The way our last 10 games of the season really makes me feel positive the halves and hooker rotation is working.
We won 5 of 10 games, outscoring the opposition 216 - 188, while playing 6 of the top 8 teams, only losing to the Roosters by 8, Panthers and Eels by 6, and the Raiders by 12.

Yeah it would be good if we got an upgrade in any position, a Harry Grant or Brandon Smith would be amazing, but even if we don't get that, with the improvement of the Roster for next year we should be sweet

nswarrior

Juniors
The way our last 10 games of the season really makes me feel positive the halves and hooker rotation is working.
We won 5 of 10 games, outscoring the opposition 216 - 188, while playing 6 of the top 8 teams, only losing to the Roosters by 8, Panthers and Eels by 6, and the Raiders by 12.

Yeah it would be good if we got an upgrade in any position, a Harry Grant or Brandon Smith would be amazing, but even if we don't get that, with the improvement of the Roster for next year we should be sweet

Spot on - improved roster, hopefully not missing 4 first graders who have to return home and key players developing nicely -Egan, CHT, Nikorima, Katia will be better next year

Reactions: JJ

LeagueNut

First Grade
some disturbing chat going around that we are looking at Lodge for next year. Not required IMO
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...l/news-story/efa97d088dad5d919856bce9919734e2

"Despite having four years remaining on his contract Lodge is drawing interest from the New Zealand Warriors"

Article also says Joe Ofahengaue, Jack Bird, Brodie Croft, Alex Glenn, Jordan Kahu, Sean O’Sullivan, Richie Kennar and Issac Luke are "on the chopping block".

Don't think we'd need any of them really.