What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kaide Ellis signs

possm

Coach
Dragons confirm Kaide Ellis signing
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Mon 13 Jul 2020, 07:47 AM

St George Illawarra have confirmed the signing of Penrith Panthers forward Kaide Ellis for the remainder of the 2020 NRL Telstra Premiership season.

Ellis – a former Holden Cup, Canterbury Cup NSW and NRL State Championship (of which he was man of the match) winner – will join his new Dragons teammates this week.

The 23-year-old Dubbo product has played eight first grade games to date, all with the Panthers.

Dragons director of rugby league pathways and list management Ian Millward said Ellis's inclusion for the remainder of the season was key for the club's depth.

"Kaide is a very formidable figure and has been a standout in the Canterbury Cup over the past few seasons, and all the while has always being on the periphery of first grade selection," Millward said.

"Kaide comes with high credentials in regard to his attitude and work ethic and will be a good inclusion to our squad character-wise.

"Kaide was off contract with the Panthers and we have now presented him an opportunity to put a stake down at the Dragons moving forward. The key for the Dragons was to find a back-up behind our current squad."

The shortened season and current wave of injuries throughout the NRL competition have contributed to the difficulty of signing players mid-season, according to Millward.

"Clubs at present are reluctant to let players go due to the current wave of injuries throughout the competition, while the players themselves are nervous because there's no reserve grade at present," Millward said.

"Another challenge is that a lot of other clubs are still looking for players themselves. We fielded phone calls from the Raiders last week, as an example, who too are short on middles while we're on the phone to 14 other clubs trying to do the same thing.

"It's a cycle in the NRL at the moment. Clubs are in constant dialogue as they look to secure the required 29 players before the August 2 signing deadline."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2020/07/13/dragons-confirm-kaide-ellis-signing/
So we have Blacker and Ellis as run-on props in the SGI Canterbury Cup side. Now for replacements of Graham, Frizell and maybe De Belin; 3 top grade forwards.

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons bolster forward stocks with Ellis signing
Dragons Den
r0_12_5179_3499_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

NEWBIE: The Dragons have added former Panthers back-rower Kaide Ellis to their roster for the remainder of 2020. Picture: NRL Imagery

ST GEORGE Illawarra have looked to deepen its middle forward stocks with the signing of fringe Penrith forward Kaide Ellis.

The 23-year-old Dubbo product has played eight first grade games since debuting in 2018 will join the club for the remainder of the season with a chance at securing a longer-term deal.

The club will have some room to move given the departure of James Graham and Tyson Frizell from next year, while Jack de Belin is off-contract having been paid full salary over the past two seasons and court dramas drag on.

The Dragons had been linked to Canberra's John Bateman and Cowboys livewire John Asiata but club recruitment chief Ian Millward said the weight of injuries suffered across the league and the shortened season has made mid-season recruitment difficult.

"Clubs at present are reluctant to let players go due to the current wave of injuries throughout the competition, while the players themselves are nervous because there's no reserve grade at present," Millward said.

"Another challenge is that a lot of other clubs are still looking for players themselves. We fielded phone calls from the Raiders last week, as an example, who too are short on middles while we're on the phone to 14 other clubs trying to do the same thing.

"It's a cycle in the NRL at the moment. Clubs are in constant dialogue as they look to secure the required 29 players before the August 2 signing deadline."

Millward said Ellis's inclusion for the remainder of the season was key for the club's depth.

"Kaide is a very formidable figure and has been a standout in the Canterbury Cup over the past few seasons, and all the while has always being on the periphery of first grade selection," Millward said.

"Kaide comes with high credentials in regard to his attitude and work ethic and will be a good inclusion to our squad character-wise. Kaide was off contract with the Panthers and we have now presented him an opportunity to put a stake down at the Dragons moving forward.

"The key for the Dragons was to find a back-up behind our current squad."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/6829953/dragons-bolster-forward-stocks-with-ellis-signing/

possm

Coach
Dragons bolster forward stocks with Ellis signing
Dragons Den
r0_12_5179_3499_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

NEWBIE: The Dragons have added former Panthers back-rower Kaide Ellis to their roster for the remainder of 2020. Picture: NRL Imagery

ST GEORGE Illawarra have looked to deepen its middle forward stocks with the signing of fringe Penrith forward Kaide Ellis.

The 23-year-old Dubbo product has played eight first grade games since debuting in 2018 will join the club for the remainder of the season with a chance at securing a longer-term deal.

The club will have some room to move given the departure of James Graham and Tyson Frizell from next year, while Jack de Belin is off-contract having been paid full salary over the past two seasons and court dramas drag on.

The Dragons had been linked to Canberra's John Bateman and Cowboys livewire John Asiata but club recruitment chief Ian Millward said the weight of injuries suffered across the league and the shortened season has made mid-season recruitment difficult.

Millward said Ellis's inclusion for the remainder of the season was key for the club's depth.

"Kaide comes with high credentials in regard to his attitude and work ethic and will be a good inclusion to our squad character-wise. Kaide was off contract with the Panthers and we have now presented him an opportunity to put a stake down at the Dragons moving forward.

"The key for the Dragons was to find a back-up behind our current squad."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/6829953/dragons-bolster-forward-stocks-with-ellis-signing/

So Ellis is Timm's replacement!

Now we need to find replacements on a 'like for like or better' basis for:

Graham - gone
Frizell - is going
De Belin - may be gone
Lafai - is going
Norman - going
Dufty - to replace Norman at 6

Big dollars need to be spent so we need enough salary cap to replace those leaving or who have already left:

Aitken - 350-400k - replaced by Lomax at 500k
Lafai - 400-450k - to be replaced by a new player at 600k
Norman - 800k - to be replaced by Dufty at 500k
Frizell - 500-600k - to be replaced by a new player at 600k
Graham - 600k - to be replaced by a new player at 700k
De Belin - 550k - to be replaced by McInnes at 600k
Pearson - 200k - replaced by Saab at 200k
Luke - 200k - replaced by Brittain at 200k
Leilua - 200k - replaced by Fuimaono at 400k
10 players costing about 3.9m. Good clean-out!

Less salary cap for players already purchased for season 2021 and beyond, e.g. Britton, Williame, Merrin, Fuimaono, etc.

I'm assuming the Club will keep Sailor, Vaughan, and Saab for season 2021. I'm also assuming that Ramsey, the Feagai twins, and Schiller will be in the development squad or the top 30 in 2021.

So for 2021, we are looking for 4 new players (at an additional 3ml) to make up a 17 of:

1. New player - 1m
2. Saab
3. Lomax

4. New player - 600k
5. Ravalawa
6. Dufty
7. Clune

8. New player - 700k
9. Hunt
10. Vaughan
11. T Sims

12. New player - 700k
13. McInnes

14. Kerr / Blacker
15. Laurie / Ellis
16. Merrin / Fuimaono
17. Ford / Brittain

All above salary figures are an indication only.

Last edited:

thebigredv

First Grade
We love paying people to sit around and do nothing, mid year signing of reserves, jack De Belin, and most notably our coach. If decent players wanted to join us they would have by now.

getsmarty

Immortal
Off-contract Dragons prop Kaide Ellis keen to reunite with former Penrith coach Anthony Griffin
Kaide Ellis believes he played his best football under Anthony Griffin at Penrith, so he is keen to reunite with Griffin at the Red V next season.

Matt Logue
NCA NewsWire
September 28, 20204:22pm

St George Illawarra struggled this season, but off-contract prop Kaide Ellis is keen to secure his future at the club to play under former Penrith coach Anthony Griffin.

Ellis is yet to secure a new deal as he also weighs up interest from back-to-back premiers the Sydney Roosters.

The Dubbo junior’s preference is to remain at the Dragons so he can reconnect with Griffin, whom he played under at the Panthers in 2018 and 2019.

Ellis believes the former Penrith and Brisbane coach is the perfect mentor to steer St George Illawarra and himself to success.

“I’d like to play under Hook again because I played my best footy under him at the Panthers,” said Ellis, who played eight games for the Dragons since joining the club from Penrith mid-season.

“I don’t have anything (contract) wise in concrete yet, but I’m hoping to get something sorted soon.

“We don’t officially know what the squad sizes are going to be next year, but there is interest there.”

34894ee16d6063a4744f33789d3d3490

Off-contract Dragons prop Kaide Ellis is keen to stay at the club to reunite with former Penrith coach Anthony Griffin (pictured). Picture: Tim Hunter.Source:News Corp Australia

In a boost for Ellis and the other uncontracted players, the NRL squads for next season are set to be locked in at 30 players.

While there is no agreement in place, there is alignment across the game that there will be 30-man squads – including four development contracts.

This would be a perfect result for fringe players like Ellis, who could have been squeezed out of a club if there was limited space on a squad.

The likes of Benji Marshall, Elijah Taylor, George Jennings, Brad Takairangi and Danny Levi still don’t have a contract for next season and beyond.

This experienced and talented list could open the door for a club to pick up a crucial piece in their premiership puzzle over the off-season.

All the remaining off-contract players have plenty to prove in the NRL for a club willing to take a punt on them.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/d...n/news-story/541331a67c30f636c9912f3d61fde4f6

possm

Coach
Off-contract Dragons prop Kaide Ellis keen to reunite with former Penrith coach Anthony Griffin
Kaide Ellis believes he played his best football under Anthony Griffin at Penrith, so he is keen to reunite with Griffin at the Red V next season.

Matt Logue
NCA NewsWire
September 28, 20204:22pm

St George Illawarra struggled this season, but off-contract prop Kaide Ellis is keen to secure his future at the club to play under former Penrith coach Anthony Griffin.

Ellis is yet to secure a new deal as he also weighs up interest from back-to-back premiers the Sydney Roosters.

The Dubbo junior’s preference is to remain at the Dragons so he can reconnect with Griffin, whom he played under at the Panthers in 2018 and 2019.

Ellis believes the former Penrith and Brisbane coach is the perfect mentor to steer St George Illawarra and himself to success.

“I’d like to play under Hook again because I played my best footy under him at the Panthers,” said Ellis, who played eight games for the Dragons since joining the club from Penrith mid-season.

“I don’t have anything (contract) wise in concrete yet, but I’m hoping to get something sorted soon.

“We don’t officially know what the squad sizes are going to be next year, but there is interest there.”

34894ee16d6063a4744f33789d3d3490

Off-contract Dragons prop Kaide Ellis is keen to stay at the club to reunite with former Penrith coach Anthony Griffin (pictured). Picture: Tim Hunter.Source:News Corp Australia

In a boost for Ellis and the other uncontracted players, the NRL squads for next season are set to be locked in at 30 players.

While there is no agreement in place, there is alignment across the game that there will be 30-man squads – including four development contracts.

This would be a perfect result for fringe players like Ellis, who could have been squeezed out of a club if there was limited space on a squad.

The likes of Benji Marshall, Elijah Taylor, George Jennings, Brad Takairangi and Danny Levi still don’t have a contract for next season and beyond.

This experienced and talented list could open the door for a club to pick up a crucial piece in their premiership puzzle over the off-season.

All the remaining off-contract players have plenty to prove in the NRL for a club willing to take a punt on them.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/d...n/news-story/541331a67c30f636c9912f3d61fde4f6
Ellis is a good backup prop but if at the right price and if he can show a big improvement under Griffin, he could end up being a solid signing. Griffin will be in the best position to judge this one.

The calm one

Juniors
Ellis is a good backup prop but if at the right price and if he can show a big improvement under Griffin, he could end up being a solid signing. Griffin will be in the best position to judge this one.
What I have seen of him, he is out there man, dosent float my boat

be55

Juniors
I don't know what happened to Ellis on Sunday

He started the game in the run on team...

He played 22 minutes and then was interchanged and wasn't seen for the rest of the game...He did make 17 tackles in that time but had only 2 carries...TWO CARRIES IN 22 MINUTES...Lawrie probably carried the ball twice in the opening set....

I don't know if Young hooked him or he was injured but that's not going to cut the mustard...

Like i said i don't know if he was injured or not but from what i have heard of Griffin, if Ellis is playing for us next year and keeps producing stats like that, Hook will send him to reserve grade so fast his head will spin....

Sloth

Juniors

He played 22 minutes and then was interchanged and wasn't seen for the rest of the game...He did make 17 tackles in that time but had only 2 carries...TWO CARRIES IN 22 MINUTES...Lawrie probably carried the ball twice in the opening set....

I don't know if Young hooked him or he was injured but that's not going to cut the mustard...

Like i said i don't know if he was injured or not but from what i have heard of Griffin, if Ellis is playing for us next year and keeps producing stats like that, Hook will send him to reserve grade so fast his head will spin....
From memory Melbourne had already scored 4 tries and had probably 60% of the ball. But you are right 2 carries is not enough as a prop.

BLM01

First Grade

HIA

be55

Juniors
Mate i just watched the first half again and i couldn't see where he picked up anything that would have required a HIA and the commentators didn't mention it...i could be wrong but i just think they took him off, weren't happy with him and he didn't get back on...

They was several times he was used as a decoy in attack but 2 carries in 22 minutes isn't up to standard...At times he was around the play and players like Aitken and even Feagai went in and made the hard carries

Defensively he made a lot of tackles but for mine he needs do more work and i sure he would known Hook would have been watching so you'd think he would have been out to impress...

If he did have a HIA and was ruled out for the game well i guess i'll have egg on my face....

The calm one

Juniors

I will tell you what happened to him. The same thing that happened to Kerr and Vaughan, when the going gets tough and you have to show some balls, they are nowhere to be seen. Blake Lawrie you are green but you have guts and ticker, I wish James Graham was your forward coach. You like the chosen one, are in the honor's to meet Owen

Latest posts