What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 QF1 (1 v 4) - Panthers 29-28 Roosters @ Panthers

Finals Week 1: Panthers v Roosters

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rhyno

First Grade
Chin is the new Pearce he is not a big game player

Every origin he has played he’s gone missing

big hit!

Bench
The population of the Penrith local government area is around 200k, or 4% or so of Sydney, nowhere near enough to produce a sufficient stream of juniors to support a successful NRL team, which is why the catchment has had to spread west. The two clubs are similar in that regard. Roosters seem to do well on the mid-north coast, whereas we have the central west. Both look outside their immediate area for juniors to develop. Both systems were set up by the same man.

Roosters were shipping half their Sg Ball team from NZ every second week in 2019. Good team one week, shit team the next.

big hit!

Bench
Prediction: Roosters

They checked out last week. Game meant nothing (if anything it was preferable to lose and stay in Sydney to set their destiny for finals), then a few things went awry and they played bruise-free footy and prep for this week.

mongoose

Coach
Roosters to bounce back and let the Panthers know they are not unbeatable... Panthers will beat us comfortably next week and play Melbourne in the prelim.

adamkungl

Immortal
If the mighty Penrith Panthers go all the way in 2020, that will be a win not only for the club with it’s amazing junior base that enriched the game so much but also for ‘Rugba Leeg’.

As opposed to the Rorters trying to buy another comp or even the Storm.. People will quickly forget about it.

I can see the cloud of smug floating over the foot of the mountains from the balcony of the Coogee Pav

Now I'm not diminishing the excellent work Penrith do with the junior regions they've been handed, but isn't a large junior area basically a lucky quirk of history? A lot like being born into riches, in some ways...
Meanwhile the remaining 1908 clubs have fought each other over tiny historic areas, had gentrification shrink their already small base while competing clubs sprout up out west with massive suburban sprawls geared to breed rugby league families.

Not so different in some ways.
2 clubs taking excellent advantage of the circumstances history has handed them.
Both wealthy in different ways - although I will note with the behemoth pokie club that takes up half of Penrith, the Panthers aren't exactly short on cash despite the battler narrative.
Both strong development systems with the foundations set up by Gould, both clubs responsible for putting a huge number of NRL players through to grade.

I used to give a shit about other fans perception of Penrith, I couldn't understand why they couldn't see what I could. Now I couldn't give a rats arse. Fans of clubs that have had a lot of success get it, those of us who only get a rare sniff of it crave for everyone to share our enthusiasm. It aint gunna happen.

Learn to embrace the hate & jealousy. No one started hating Manly, Melbourne, Broncos & Roosters because they were shit. Games & premierships aren't won by media or fan opinion on TV, Radio, forums or facebook. Come what may on Friday night & there after Panthers fans can be proud of 2020 & those that down play it can go & slurp on a big fat knob.

Someone gets it
No one loves a winner.
You might win 1, and the neutrals will party with you because Roosters and Storm didn't win.
Win 3 or 4 in a decade and see if they still come to the party

Last edited:

Tommy Smith

Referee
We have a much better fullback, better wingers, better centres, the game's best half, the game's best front row, a better backrow and bench; but apart from that I reckon Penrith are within a chance. ;)

Congrats Penrith and their fans on an amazing season btw. What a decade you have ahead of you.

P.S. Geez you merkins had a soft draw in the back half of the year! Ripe for the picking :D

adamkungl

Immortal
I think you should start a thread about this. It went so well last time.

It's an interesting situation though.

Penrith have - you have to admit - had a pretty cruisy last 2 months, but have performed every week.
Roosters has certainly been tougher, and they haven't always performed. Serious physical and mental knocks have been taken.

Penrith are fresh but haven't been forced to scrap.
Roosters have scrapped hard but have been worn down as a result.