What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fangs

Coach
It’s funny looking back at last years discussions around our halves.

I was wrong about Cleary, he’s really improved his attacking game this year. But he’s done it his way through his kicking mostly. Although his passing has improved too.

On the other hand I was right about Luai being a good foil for Cleary. Most people felt Burton should get the job, and whilst I’m a huge admirer of Burton’s talent, I always felt Luai made more sense next to the structured Cleary.

I also had massive doubts and while he still has his limitations he has improved enormously. It helps that his 1, 6 and 9 are also having stand out seasons. As well as having potent outside backs and one of the best forward packs in the game. Within our system Cleary is an excellent halfback and earns his $1 million price tag which was always a big talking point on here.

I noticed a touch of Preston about him during his debut. At the time I thought he would make a brilliant halfback. Though he he certainly cemented his spot alongside Cleary who now completely owns the 7 position.

2021 will be interesting. He will field offers to go elsewhere just like Burton. You can see a future for both but I really think it will be in the halves. Only room for one in my opinion.

I still think Burton could make an excellent fullback. He has all the attributes. Height, speed, good hands & can kick. It’s just a matter of him reading the defence.

He could be our Tom Turbo.

The issue is we have a stack of fullbacks, and Edwards is playing very well.

WestyLife

First Grade
I still think Burton could make an excellent fullback. He has all the attributes. Height, speed, good hands & can kick. It’s just a matter of him reading the defence.

He could be our Tom Turbo.

The issue is we have a stack of fullbacks, and Edwards is playing very well.

x2 on all of that.

Kilkenny

Coach
I think it will come down to what Burton sees himself as.
If he sees himself as a half. He will leave. If he loves the club and is open to playing another position fullback, centre or lock, then he will stay.

I don’t know who he is managed by, but even if I was his manager there is no way you would contemplate any suggestion of transitioning to a lock/back rower. The kid is the real deal, is going to be something special and let’s face it the big money is around the spine positions, in his case 1/6/7 and that is it. There is no manager worth his salt who would agree to his client being groomed to fill a position in the back row on $500K when potentially he could earn $1M as a 6/7. Ain’t gonna happen and probably nor should we expect it too. Personally, I think we may be able to persuade he to stay for the short term with maybe a 1 or 2 year extension but beyond that if he is not a starter in the 6/7 then he has to go elsewhere and secure his future. It’s a pretty simple equation.

maple_69

Bench
Long term I agree. Short term I don’t think it’s outlandish that he’d see the benefit of a two year stint as a ball playing lock/second row for a very good team. He would emerge a very good defender for a half, would be eased into first grade in a very good side, without the pressure of being a half and could learn from two very good halves.

Panfa

Juniors
Id give burton the number 3 jersey next season and put naden on the wing replacing mansour.Like everyone has been saying hes got the height speed and passing game and hes too good for a bench player.If we win the comp mansour should retire on top but whare needs to go unfortunately his form and injuries means his best footy is behind him.Imagine a backline of 1.Edwards 2.Naden 3.Burton 4.Chrichton 5.T'oo 6.Luai 7.Cleary we can keep burto and he can start.Leave him in the centres for 2yrs till api retires then move cleary to 9 and burton to 6.

franklin2323

Immortal
I don’t know who he is managed by, but even if I was his manager there is no way you would contemplate any suggestion of transitioning to a lock/back rower. The kid is the real deal, is going to be something special and let’s face it the big money is around the spine positions, in his case 1/6/7 and that is it. There is no manager worth his salt who would agree to his client being groomed to fill a position in the back row on $500K when potentially he could earn $1M as a 6/7. Ain’t gonna happen and probably nor should we expect it too. Personally, I think we may be able to persuade he to stay for the short term with maybe a 1 or 2 year extension but beyond that if he is not a starter in the 6/7 then he has to go elsewhere and secure his future. It’s a pretty simple equation.

Imagine if Wade Graham's manager had the same thoughts or Cam Smith there are many 'halves' that hit FG and are suited elsewhere. To limit yourself to only one position is keeping your options very limited

Imagine if Wade Graham's manager had the same thoughts or Cam Smith there are many 'halves' that hit FG and are suited elsewhere. To limit yourself to only one position is keeping your options very limited

Graham got an extended shot in the halves, though. Totally different scenario.

Someone as talented as Burton would be crazy to move to the forwards before exploring his chances in the halves.

soc123_au

Staff member
Id give burton the number 3 jersey next season and put naden on the wing replacing mansour.Like everyone has been saying hes got the height speed and passing game and hes too good for a bench player.If we win the comp mansour should retire on top but whare needs to go unfortunately his form and injuries means his best footy is behind him.Imagine a backline of 1.Edwards 2.Naden 3.Burton 4.Chrichton 5.T'oo 6.Luai 7.Cleary we can keep burto and he can start.Leave him in the centres for 2yrs till api retires then move cleary to 9 and burton to 6.

Api is only 27. he isn't retiring in 2 years I hope.

franklin2323

Immortal
Graham got an extended shot in the halves, though. Totally different scenario.

Someone as talented as Burton would be crazy to move to the forwards before exploring his chances in the halves.

Having a preference is good but shouldn't be the only thing. Even at the Dogs given it is 18 months away before he plays only takes a major injury and someone like Wakeham to go well and he is suddenly not a lock for a halves start

Having a preference is good but shouldn't be the only thing. Even at the Dogs given it is 18 months away before he plays only takes a major injury and someone like Wakeham to go well and he is suddenly not a lock for a halves start

If he signs elsewhere he’ll be released straight away. We’re talking options for 2021 here.

He’d walk into several clubs halves, if it’s his preference to play half, he will.

if he stays with the Panthers he’s obviously prepared to play another position at least in the short term, but bulking up for the forwards I think would be the wrong move so early in his career. Play him in the centres.

Kilkenny

Coach

Seriously, just put yourself in Matt Burton’s position. You are considered to be a potential superstar 6/7 who in the modern game the elite potentially can earn $1 million a season.

There is not a fanny’s chance in hell is going to want to transition to the back row when he would be guaranteed $800K as a starting half for at least 50% of NRL clubs who are on the hunt for a quality half.

Seriously Franklin on this one your are delusional. Put yourself in his position. Just as an example $1M a season as the Broncos number 7 or $500K playing lock/back row for the Panthers. Money talks.

Personally, I think he will stay loyal but only on a short term deal, maybe extend for an additional 1 season, he is not going to commit long term, he would be crazy too.

franklin2323

Immortal
If he signs elsewhere he’ll be released straight away. We’re talking options for 2021 here.

He’d walk into several clubs halves, if it’s his preference to play half, he will.

if he stays with the Panthers he’s obviously prepared to play another position at least in the short term, but bulking up for the forwards I think would be the wrong move so early in his career. Play him in the centres.

What is in for us to release him early? Leaves us short a half.

Maybe maybe not. All those sides struggling have got their own promising halves that who knows where they sit next year

franklin2323

Immortal
Seriously, just put yourself in Matt Burton’s position. You are considered to be a potential superstar 6/7 who in the modern game the elite potentially can earn $1 million a season.

There is not a fanny’s chance in hell is going to want to transition to the back row when he would be guaranteed $800K as a starting half for at least 50% of NRL clubs who are on the hunt for a quality half.

Seriously Franklin on this one your are delusional. Put yourself in his position. Just as an example $1M a season as the Broncos number 7 or $500K playing lock/back row for the Panthers. Money talks.

Personally, I think he will stay loyal but only on a short term deal, maybe extend for an additional 1 season, he is not going to commit long term, he would be crazy too.

How is Ash Taylor going on his $1m a season? Clubs want to see more before they give out that cash.

Tedesco
Ponga
Fifita
Possibly Cam Smith ( If he plays on)

all signed new deals on $1m a year all aren't halves. So there is no rule that says only halves can get a huge payday

To get that money he needs to play SOO, Finals or both. He won't do that at the Dogs for the next couple of seasons atleast.

So I don't see how not signing a 2 year extension here ie not better for him long term

Mr 10% manager will no doubt do what is best for his back pocket rather than what is best for the player

What is in for us to release him early? Leaves us short a half.

Maybe maybe not. All those sides struggling have got their own promising halves that who knows where they sit next year

The club has said consistently that they won’t stand in the way of players getting an opportunity. He’ll be released straight away. Plus we have Laurie as a half backup.

No maybes about it, The whole comp is talking about Burton. They know he’s a super talent, and there’s some absolute bum halves out there.

How is Ash Taylor going on his $1m a season? Clubs want to see more before they give out that cash.

Tedesco
Ponga
Fifita
Possibly Cam Smith ( If he plays on)

all signed new deals on $1m a year all aren't halves. So there is no rule that says only halves can get a huge payday

To get that money he needs to play SOO, Finals or both. He won't do that at the Dogs for the next couple of seasons atleast.

So I don't see how not signing a 2 year extension here ie not better for him long term

Mr 10% manager will no doubt do what is best for his back pocket rather than what is best for the player

More halves get big paydays than back rowers. It’s the law of averages.

Fullback is also a position Burton should shoot for.

Original Name

Juniors
The managers of players should take into account what the player wants and actually listen to them instead of pushing their own beliefs about what's best for the player onto them. If Burton wants to stay at the cost of earning more money else where it's the managers job to get him the best possible deal at Penrith because that's what he wants.

Status
Not open for further replies.