What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

General Discussion Thread

roofromoz

First Grade
That is just brilliant! Wonderful stuff. Gus would be tearing up. That is his vision and strategy writ vividly, large and loud. The development club.

"North to the Hawkesbury, South to Camden and East to the Cumberland Plains, we're not just the club at the foot of the mountains, we are the mountains"

"So what if we're not your first team, you may never have worn our colours, but chances are one of the kids we brought through will be wearing yours".

Being a Camden resident it was nice to get a shout out. Could nit pick and say that it is Group 6 territory first, and Wests Tigers territory second... BUT we're only 30 odd minutes down The Northern Road and also on the banks of the Nepean River. There is a small bunch of Panthers fans dotted throughout the area, have spotted a number of hats, jerseys etc. in recent weeks.

Hidden behind a paywall, so I can't read the article.

Sorry, Jane.

Here it is.

The Bulldogs are on the brink of civil war after a letter signed by life members and former premiership players was officially lodged to overthrow chair Lynne Anderson and two other high profile board members.

The letter, featuring 116 signatures of members with full voting rights, was tabled with chief executive Andrew Hill on Tuesday calling for an extraordinary general meeting to oust Anderson, John Ballesty and Paul Dunn.

The trio sit on the club's seven-person football club board.

While speculation of the coup has been swirling for weeks, the handover of the signatures ensures the Bulldogs are engulfed in further political turmoil at a time when incoming coach Trent Barrett is due to arrive at Belmore to revive the club's on-field fortunes.

Anderson, Ballesty and Dunn will have 21 days to respond to the letter and organise an EGM, and should they choose to dig their heels in they could be headed to a vote within 21 days after that.

The coup is believed to have been driven by one of the club's primary sponsors, which has spoken to other backers of the Bulldogs and disgruntled voting members. It has gathered enough signatures to force an EGM under the club's constitution.
Anderson, the daughter of Bulldogs godfather Peter "Bullfrog" Moore, led a ticket which swept to power at the club's elections in 2018, ending chairman Ray Dib's reign.

But despite being re-elected earlier this year, the Bulldogs have been grappling with boardroom rifts and uneasy supporters demanding change, even despite the club parting ways with Dean Pay and appointing Penrith assistant Barrett as its new coach from 2021.

Canterbury League Club chairman George Coorey was removed earlier this month over allegations of lewd behaviour towards women. Dunn was installed as his temporary replacement.
Coorey has threatened legal action over his removal as chairman.

The Herald also revealed Ballesty failed to tell fellow board members he co-owned a hotel with pub baron Arthur Laundy, who recently signed a deal to sponsor the club.

The Bulldogs finished their season with a 42-0 thumping at the hands of minor premiers Penrith, only narrowly avoiding the wooden spoon with a shock win over the Rabbitohs the week prior.

Barrett will be sweating on the fate of star English forward Luke Thompson, who will face the NRL judiciary on Tuesday night over allegations he eye gouged Panthers captain James Tamou. A lengthy suspension would rule him out of the opening rounds of next year's season.
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/bu...move-board-trio-official-20200929-p5607p.html

Jane Murray

Bench
Sorry, Jane.

Here it is.

The Bulldogs are on the brink of civil war after a letter signed by life members and former premiership players was officially lodged to overthrow chair Lynne Anderson and two other high profile board members.

The letter, featuring 116 signatures of members with full voting rights, was tabled with chief executive Andrew Hill on Tuesday calling for an extraordinary general meeting to oust Anderson, John Ballesty and Paul Dunn.

The trio sit on the club's seven-person football club board.

While speculation of the coup has been swirling for weeks, the handover of the signatures ensures the Bulldogs are engulfed in further political turmoil at a time when incoming coach Trent Barrett is due to arrive at Belmore to revive the club's on-field fortunes.

Anderson, Ballesty and Dunn will have 21 days to respond to the letter and organise an EGM, and should they choose to dig their heels in they could be headed to a vote within 21 days after that.

The coup is believed to have been driven by one of the club's primary sponsors, which has spoken to other backers of the Bulldogs and disgruntled voting members. It has gathered enough signatures to force an EGM under the club's constitution.
Anderson, the daughter of Bulldogs godfather Peter "Bullfrog" Moore, led a ticket which swept to power at the club's elections in 2018, ending chairman Ray Dib's reign.

But despite being re-elected earlier this year, the Bulldogs have been grappling with boardroom rifts and uneasy supporters demanding change, even despite the club parting ways with Dean Pay and appointing Penrith assistant Barrett as its new coach from 2021.

Canterbury League Club chairman George Coorey was removed earlier this month over allegations of lewd behaviour towards women. Dunn was installed as his temporary replacement.
Coorey has threatened legal action over his removal as chairman.

The Herald also revealed Ballesty failed to tell fellow board members he co-owned a hotel with pub baron Arthur Laundy, who recently signed a deal to sponsor the club.

The Bulldogs finished their season with a 42-0 thumping at the hands of minor premiers Penrith, only narrowly avoiding the wooden spoon with a shock win over the Rabbitohs the week prior.

Barrett will be sweating on the fate of star English forward Luke Thompson, who will face the NRL judiciary on Tuesday night over allegations he eye gouged Panthers captain James Tamou. A lengthy suspension would rule him out of the opening rounds of next year's season.
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/bu...move-board-trio-official-20200929-p5607p.html

Thanks. This made me smile. Matt, Charlie, and others, take note.

unKwn

Juniors
is it better to buy tickets for the gf now or wait for confirmation that panthers make the gf? I’m just worried that all the tickets will be sold out in a months time

Jane Murray

Bench
Interesting read.

Every good redemption story has a rock bottom. For Ivan Cleary, it came staring out the glass of the coaches box at Panthers Stadium last May: "F---, I'm responsible for this?" he asked himself watching his team play.

For Panthers chairman Dave O'Neill, it came in the form of chief executive Brian Fletcher using private security guards to protect them from their own fans as they left their own stadium to walk to the nearby car park.

"I didn't kill anybody," O'Neill remembers thinking at the time. "I'm not a mass murderer. You walk around town and hear little old ladies say, 'He's the guy destroying our club'."

Even the local police were concerned.

"I got a call saying, 'We're following a lot of the social media and there have been quite a few death threats pointed at you directly'," O'Neill recalls.

There were times Nathan Cleary wished he never signed that million dollar deal. "I wanted to sign a new contract on half the money just so the pressure wasn't there," he says.

His mother, Bec, watched from afar as the drama ripped away at the happiness of her family. "There were days I just thought, 'Oh my gosh, is this worth it? Should Ivan have just stayed at the Tigers?'"

It wasn't that long ago the Clearys were the feel-good story of rugby league. However, the unblemished reputation of the honourable coach took a battering upon his acrimonious exit from Wests Tigers, and with it went some of the shine of his superstar prodigy.

"My son became the villain because of me," an emotional Ivan admits.

"He shouldn't have been feeling that way because the drama and the scrutiny that was surrounding us, that was because of me. Because of the way the Tigers thing went, I got cast as the villain, which is fair enough, but people threw Nathan in with me.

"Whenever a coach does that you need support big time and he was enormous support the first couple of years. He's taught me the most, daylight second, in terms of rugby league and my coaching. Most of it, the framework, comes from Gus in terms of footy. But there comes a point in time where you have to let the rest takeover, and that's what happened."

A broken shed
The night Ivan refers to as rock bottom, the same night Penrith bosses were ushered out of Penrith Stadium by security, was a 30-10 Friday night loss to the Warriors that saw them slump to their sixth defeat on the trot and drop to the bottom of the ladder.

"I remember walking into the sheds that night and Ivan came up to me and said, 'I apologise for that performance'," O'Neill recalls.

"I told him, 'You don't need to apologise for anything, we'll be right'. When I said that, I had no idea how we would be right, I just had to show I wasn't down. But I looked around the shed and mate, the shed was broken. The players were just broken."

None more than Nathan. "I felt like I had anxiety going into games," he says. "It didn't even feel fun because I was just so worried about the outcome and what people would say."

The pain and pressure of the scrutiny the once adored Cleary family found themselves in as a result of Penrith's failures pushed Ivan to the brink of throwing in the towel.

"Yeah, he did," Bec says of her husband's thoughts about quitting.

"I definitely had to have some encouraging words at times, telling him, 'You've got this, it's going to be OK'. He wouldn't have been human if he didn't feel like that at some stage. He'd lost his confidence.

"Going from one club to another, and he was meant to be bringing this team into the top four, but it just wasn't happening. Penrith made a big call bringing Ivan back and they were amazing with the support and that helped Ivan knowing they would stick by him. Now they're reaping the rewards."

The reward so far is the club's third minor premiership on the back of a record 15-game winning streak. But the ultimate prize awaits.

"I've been chasing it for 30 years," Ivan says of his quest for premiership glory as a player and coach.

"It almost feels like it's a dream. I'm still chasing it. It's not hard to think about what you want when you wake up each day, I tell you that much."

License this article
781f7a16cafe800fcc64fb756b16fc18cd9baf9d

Michael Chammas
Michael Chammas is a sports reporter with The Sydney Morning Herald

Leave a comment

MOST VIEWED IN SPORT

Last edited:

Latest posts