What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hook's Heroes

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Well you and I go back to a bygone era and even accounting for that when you look at raw youth and making the earliest transition there are a few that stand out.
Puff well he had the lot and is my number 1
Changa well he also had the lot and is my number 2
The above 2 records are are imperious at such early ages especially playing in an era of unparalleled toughness.
Rob Stone gets my no 3 as he provided a steely back bone and unflinching toughness to Baths Babes.

Out of the current crop I was sad to see young Host leave as I had very high hopes for him and I think we have a way to go re our forward stocks.

In the backs Lomax is a standout and has raw power and is yet to fill his body out so the skies the limit for him.

Sullivan was very impressive and looks to have plenty of natural ability and tonnes of footy smarts so I look forward to seeing how he grows into 1st grade.

Ramsey looks like a young colt that has just taken his first steps but you can tell there is just something about him.

The above 3 coupled with Feagai's x 2 and a few others will give us some enjoyable viewing as Hook knocks them into shape over the next 2 years.

Cant argue with your 3 from days gone bye....Puff, Changa and Stoney....
I know you said 3 but I will add Chook Raper, Smithy and Poppa Clay to your list...real competitors..Poppa didnt have the smarts so to speak like the others but for sheer strength and determination he was bloody tough....there was no need for the shoulder charge when he was around....it was purely front on....he would wrap one arm around their hips and the other across their chest and drove them into the turf....
sorry I must be getting old and yes your right with the Feagais and young Ramsey...theres something about those 3 that tells me we have turned the corner and our future looks bright with some of our own

RED73V

Juniors
Are you misogynistic in real life too or just online?

Yes, there is no doubt he has talent.

But the real skill in coaching & development is finding the sweet spot where talent at a lower level against lesser players can be transitioned into using that talent against the best.

Too often you see kids with talent in spades being placed in grade too early, only to burn out.

Similarly on the other end you can wait too long and that can then stifle potential as there is not enough of a challenge to keep developing it.

Junior development seems to be a strength of Hooks.
That’s why your Illawarra mate got the chop. Cause he’s a Mong & a Sh#t coach !!!!!!

RED73V

Juniors
I feel as though you’re discounting the role that Hunt can play..

He’s an experienced half, and proven to lead a team to a grand final..

Whilst it’s great to be able to dream about our strong junior backline living up to its potential, we need experience to help them..

And Hunt is the man.
You are DELUSIONAL

RED73V

Juniors
Illawarra Cutters were a team, not a comp.

A very successful team too.

How good was that grand final & then winning the interstate cup the following week.

Gotta love a bit of silverware in the trophy cabinet.
Hey is the reason you’re called orange :tangerine: man because you are like an Oompa Loompa with little mans syndrome??

Old Timer

Coach
I feel as though you’re discounting the role that Hunt can play..

He’s an experienced half, and proven to lead a team to a grand final..

Whilst it’s great to be able to dream about our strong junior backline living up to its potential, we need experience to help them..

And Hunt is the man.
Well if that is how you feel then best you change those feelings as I have discounted nothing in respect of Hunt.

He has had ample opportunity and our team has had countless moments where he needed to be “the man” and he has predominantly come up empty.

There is no sound basis to the theory that the player who refuses to take charge of the game should therefore mentor the bloke that can and should take charge of it.

Hunt has had plenty of chances and never took them so time for him to get out of the road and let others have their turn.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
That’s why your Illawarra mate got the chop. Cause he’s a Mong & a Sh#t coach !!!!!!
Such great insight.

Yes, McGregor got sacked because he can’t coach. This isn’t in dispute.

But why do you say he’s my mate? I don’t know the guy and I certainly didn’t like him as a coach.

And I’m not sure what a “Mong” is. Care to elaborate?

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Well if that is how you feel then best you change those feelings as I have discounted nothing in respect of Hunt.

He has had ample opportunity and our team has had countless moments where he needed to be “the man” and he has predominantly come up empty.

There is no sound basis to the theory that the player who refuses to take charge of the game should therefore mentor the bloke that can and should take charge of it.

Hunt has had plenty of chances and never took them so time for him to get out of the road and let others have their turn.
We don’t need Hunt to mentor the guy, that’s the role of the coach.

But an experienced level headed halves partner can help steer the ship whilst the young firecracker can be the x-factor.

Look at pairings like Cronk & Keary, Maloney & Cleary, Hornby & Soward.

Hunt & Sullivan. The pair to lead us to a grand final.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Thank goodness for the scroll button on my mouse, re Muzby

Any way, seem to remember when our new coach was in charge at the Broncos that, under his direction, they had a young/ish team. So, hopefully yeah youth is rewarded, promoted and played in the new era.
Cant wait.
What a bizarre snippet.

You say you’re happy you can scroll past my posts, but then say exactly what I’ve been saying..

Old Timer

Coach
What a bizarre snippet.

You say you’re happy you can scroll past my posts, but then say exactly what I’ve been saying..
Your comprehension again lets you down and only in your twisted brain could anyone work out that he is saying exactly what you are saying.

SaintPeter is saying that he is looking forward to youth and that Hook is that sort of a coach as evidenced in his time at the Broncos where for the record Hunt was promoted at 20 / 21.

Hunt at the beginning of next season is turning 31 and you are pushing his barrow and SaintPeter is saying

"So, hopefully yeah youth is rewarded, promoted and played in the new era.
Cant wait".

And somehow you interpret that as the same as you.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
SaintPeter is saying

"So, hopefully yeah youth is rewarded, promoted and played in the new era.
Cant wait".

And somehow you interpret that as the same as you.
Yes.

Here:
Junior development seems to be a strength of Hooks.
Now, how about stop trying to pick fights and keep on topic.

I agree that’s it’s like kindergarten in here with all this pettiness.

Walpole

Juniors
We don’t need Hunt to mentor the guy, that’s the role of the coach.

But an experienced level headed halves partner can help steer the ship whilst the young firecracker can be the x-factor.

Look at pairings like Cronk & Keary, Maloney & Cleary, Hornby & Soward.

Hunt & Sullivan. The pair to lead us to a grand final.
Not to get in the middle of anyone's fight but have to say, I reckon Muzby's right on this one. We need Hunt to step up next year, get his mojo back and start leading the team from halfback. Maybe the chance to be surrounded by a bunch of young guns will give him a new lease on life. I think his biggest problem is just getting his head right, hopefully the new coaching group will help with that.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Not to get in the middle of anyone's fight but have to say, I reckon Muzby's right on this one. We need Hunt to step up next year, get his mojo back and start leading the team from halfback. Maybe the chance to be surrounded by a bunch of young guns will give him a new lease on life. I think his biggest problem is just getting his head right, hopefully the new coaching group will help with that.
I like the cut of your jib..

We’ve seen what Hunt can do under Hook & Bennett.

Even when he first came here he was playing well, until McGregor coached the Bennett out of him.

He does well when he is allowed to steer the ship and has a partner who tries the freaky plays.

Eg Hunt & Milford, Hunt & Whiddop.

Norman just isn’t a half, and Clune is too much in the Hunt mould - but from what I’ve seen of Sullivan he can be that partner for him.

hazzbeen

Bench
I like the cut of your jib..

We’ve seen what Hunt can do under Hook & Bennett.

Even when he first came here he was playing well, until McGregor coached the Bennett out of him.

He does well when he is allowed to steer the ship and has a partner who tries the freaky plays.

Eg Hunt & Milford, Hunt & Whiddop.

Norman just isn’t a half, and Clune is too much in the Hunt mould - but from what I’ve seen of Sullivan he can be that partner for him.
For me Hunt needs a dominant forward pack .....

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
For me Hunt needs a dominant forward pack .....
Yes, this is also true..

I’m not sure what turned our pack into marshmallows - go back to the start of 2018 and we still had the core of pack that we do today, and they were dominating..

Bring back Latimore?

hazzbeen

Bench
Yes, this is also true..

I’m not sure what turned our pack into marshmallows - go back to the start of 2018 and we still had the core of pack that we do today, and they were dominating..

Bring back Latimore?
Right on they were playing the Power game as Mary called it until teams caught onto it and nullified the game plan ..... When we were going forward that's when Hunt was playing better footy ......