What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hook's Heroes

ChocOConnor

Juniors
I really hate the mention of that word power play. It gives me nightmares about needing to be comfortable about being uncomfortable.
The coaches with smarts just shortened up there defenses playing a compressed defence style and Mcmoron didn’t have a plan B to work around that.

And how comfortable do you think Ukraine are at having that mad man Putin Making them uncomfortable.

Old Timer

Coach
Spare me days and ffs as well

People still wanting to pump up a 31 year old set of tyres thinking of him as to when he was in his early 20’s.

He has had countless years and opportunities to “ice it” and here people are saying exactly what the BOD & Gould said about Mc Fookknuckle “
Oh if we give him this and give him that and support him and support him there he will make it.”

Hunt has had lots of support along his career path and he is now at the end of it not the beginning.

Out of the top 9 teams yes even the Titans tell me who he would replace as a 7 or better still which top 9 team would he enhance by Hunt being in their side.

His only chance would be at Newcastle or Sharks and they are barely better than us.

Not more than a few weeks ago his tyres were being pumped up as the 9 and people going in about how he will be the Qld 9 and probably the bench player for Australia well folks that most likely won’t happen and 9 ain’t 7.

Give Sullivan his shot at the big time and don’t saddle him with a wet blanket.

Youth is the key to opening the window of opportunity and we should not close it because of the fresh air that comes in.

We ain’t going to win the comp in 21 but we might just make top 4 in 22 and give it a shake in 23 but not with a 33 year old half that kept others in CC just because we signed him for too long and paid way too much for him.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Out of the top 9 teams yes even the Titans tell me who he would replace as a 7 or better still which top 9 team would he enhance by Hunt being in their side.

His only chance would be at Newcastle or Sharks and they are barely better than us.
Roosters would punt Kyle Flanagan for Hunt.

Melbourne would win the comp if Hunt was there instead of Hughes.

And then as mentioned he’d walk into the Knights & Sharks.

So that’s not a bad start using just the top 8..

SBD82

Coach
Roosters would punt Kyle Flanagan for Hunt.

Melbourne would win the comp if Hunt was there instead of Hughes.

And then as mentioned he’d walk into the Knights & Sharks.

So that’s not a bad start using just the top 8..
I think you’re somewhat overstating the thirst that clubs would have to bring Hunt into their side.

Melbourne look for personality traits that he lacks. Robinson is huge on attitude, which he can probably still see developing in flanno jr. And the sharks and Knights aren’t really top sides.

I hate to say it, but I think he’s a spent force in the NRL. I’d like to be proven wrong and see him take a mature playmaker role in the side. But I think we’d be better off if we had chased several other options (Foran, green, even benji) and they would come with a much reduced price tag.

hazzbeen

Bench
I think you’re somewhat overstating the thirst that clubs would have to bring Hunt into their side.

Melbourne look for personality traits that he lacks. Robinson is huge on attitude, which he can probably still see developing in flanno jr. And the sharks and Knights aren’t really top sides.

I hate to say it, but I think he’s a spent force in the NRL. I’d like to be proven wrong and see him take a mature playmaker role in the side. But I think we’d be better off if we had chased several other options (Foran, green, even benji) and they would come with a much reduced price tag.
Green would have been my choice , a definite play maker , but haven't given up on Hunt just yet ..... I want to see how Hook goes with him before we hook him ....

SBD82

Coach
Green would have been my choice , a definite play maker , but haven't given up on Hunt just yet ..... I want to see how Hook goes with him before we hook him ....
I don’t hold out much hope, but I’m also keen to see what Hook can do with him, hopefully they make me look like a fool.

possm

Coach
I suppose it is a choice, Let Hunt go and have an extra 1m in the kitty to help buy a decent pack of forwards or hold onto Hunt hoping that Griffin can get the best out of him. Same goes for Norman.

TruSaint

Referee
Apart from 2-3 games when he had joined us, Hunt has never really taken control of a match when the moment needed such.

I have bagged norman from pillar to post, but Hunt is also an underachiever. Doesn't mean he doesnt have talent, he does. It has yet to make an impact for STGI.

What we will find out in due course is how much of that is coaching.

Gareth67

First Grade
Well the man is with the Dragons whether we like the idea or not . So hopefully ( and I am sick to death of using that word in conjunction with the Dragons ) Griffin is able to work his magic on Hunt and have him playing class footy once again .

However should he continue to run hot and cold then Griffin must bite the bullet and drop him . We will have ourselves a tremendous young back line next season and we need those players to fully develop. They will not be able to do so if our halves are clogging up the works .

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Well the man is with the Dragons whether we like the idea or not . So hopefully ( and I am sick to death of using that word in conjunction with the Dragons ) Griffin is able to work his magic on Hunt and have him playing class footy once again .

However should he continue to run hot and cold then Griffin must bite the bullet and drop him . We will have ourselves a tremendous young back line next season and we need those players to fully develop. They will not be able to do so if our halves are clogging up the works .
He will Gareth67; he can’t afford not to! He hasn’t been given a Nathan Brown Newcastle type contract. The only possible silver lining with this situation is that there should be enough internal motivation for all three (Hunt Norman and Griffin) in 2021, that the Dragons could be the beneficiary:
Hunt, would want to maintain his Origin level status so his contract value would stay high as it arguably could be his last. Norman, has to show value for an ESL offer if he was interested in going there; and Griffin, for either a winning a contract extension at Saints, or impressing another club due to his results at the Dragons and continuing his coaching career.

Doubt he’d have the same ‘lack of urgency’ philosophy that McGregor demonstrated with altering team structures. He can’t afford to!

Last edited:

TruSaint

Referee
That's why I'm prepared to give him a go with a better coach and hopefully a better pack ....

Hey mate, I think all of us collectively want to see him succeed.

I was very excited when he signed with us. Lets see what pans out. I don't want to be hypocritical and bag others players constantly and not raise issues with Ben.

If our new coach can bring his confidence back then we may well see a new Ben Hunt.

possm

Coach
Apart from 2-3 games when he had joined us, Hunt has never really taken control of a match when the moment needed such.

I have bagged norman from pillar to post, but Hunt is also an underachiever. Doesn't mean he doesnt have talent, he does. It has yet to make an impact for STGI.

What we will find out in due course is how much of that is coaching.
To me Hunt does not appear to be a team/game manager on the field. I'd say he is more suited to the running five-eighth position.

TruSaint

Referee
To me Hunt does not appear to be a team/game manager on the field. I'd say he is more suited to the running five-eighth position.

To be honest mate, we bought him as a 7, but I am not sure what his best position is.
Some say hooker, some even suggest a 6 like you.

Like many he has been shifted around too often.

Gareth67

First Grade
I genuinely hope you’re right. But I feel like Hunt is at the stage of his career where he should be instilling confidence in his younger halves partner, not having it instilled by others.

Excellent point SBD82 , as Cronk mentored Luke Keary - although a class player already he took him to the next level which is exactly what is expected with the ‘ changing of the guard ‘ .

not_all_there

Juniors
I genuinely hope you’re right. But I feel like Hunt is at the stage of his career where he should be instilling confidence in his younger halves partner, not having it instilled by others.
Yes this

he’s too emotionaly fragile right now. I think that dropped ball f?);:d with his mind more then we realise