What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'True Believers'

gregstar

Referee
I don't know how others felt watching it, but when the footage of '85, '92, '93, '96, '99, '05 & '06 was run, it simply reminded me that I didn't actually celebrate to the extent I thought I would. I really only felt relief.

I suffered badly in '85 because we were denied the chance by 1 point to cap off the most dominant club performance in the history of rugby league in this country.

In '92 I was disappointed but was happy we'd got there after 7 years of absolute second rate crap. Mind you this was erased during the Price / Jowls era where we were sub chewie level. If we're ever worse than that, I'll quit the game. (f**k true believing when that sh*t is dished up)

In '93 I was definitely p*ssed. We were in form, had momentum & the Drongos were busted. It was a boringly crappy game & we lost to a club subsequently proven to be rorting the cap.

In '96 I was simply in awe of Waite's effort & the club's personnel (except Tallis). Getting there is the club's greatest achievement. Losing sucked but I was absolutely proud of the group.

In '99 I suffered. That sucked & I hate talking about it.

In '05 we had a team that could storm the gates of hell & lost. That sucked & I hate talking about it.

In '06 I just felt we wouldn't beat the scum (who also were found to be rorting) so whilst disappointed (again!) I accepted it. I'd point out however that that finals series highlighted to me that Browneye could coach! We played two completely different styles 2 weeks in a row under pressure and won. Our effort against the Drongos was simply outstanding.

'09 sucked balls but I was again happy we'd climbed the table to win a minor premiership for the first time since '85. I just felt we'd lose to the Drongos in Brisbane given what happened in the first semi.

In '10 after the game, I remember simply posting some messages in LU & then went to bed. I was actually surprised I didn't f*c-k about more.

Last edited:

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
I don't know how others felt watching it, but when the footage of '85, '92, '93, '96, '99, '05 & '06 was run, it simply reminded me that I didn't actually celebrate to the extent I thought I would. I really only felt relief.

I suffered badly in '85 because we were denied the chance by 1 point to cap off the most dominant club performance in the history of rugby league in this country.

In '92 I was disappointed but was happy we'd got there after 7 years of absolute second rate crap. Mind you this was erased during the Price / Jowls era where we were sub chewie level. If we're ever worse than that, I'll quite the game. (f**k true believing when that sh*t is dished up)

In '93 I was definitely p*ssed. We were in form, had momentum & the Drongos were busted. It was a boringly crappy game & we lost to a club subsequently proven to be rorting the cap.

In '96 I was simply in awe of Waite's effort & the club's personnel (except Tallis). Getting there is the club's greatest achievement. Losing sucked but I was absolutely proud of the group.

In '99 I suffered. That sucked & I hate talking about it.

In '05 we had a team that could storm the gates of hell & lost. That sucked & I hate talking a bout it.

In '06 I just felt we wouldn't beat the scum (who also were found to be rorting) so whilst disappointed (again!) I accepted it. I'd point out however that that finals series highlighted to me that Browneye could coach! We played two completely different styles 2 weeks in a row under pressure and won. Our effort against the Drongos was simply outstanding.

'09 sucked balls but I was again happy we'd climbed the table to win a minor premiership for the first time since '85. I just felt we'd lose to the Drongos in Brisbane given what happened in the first semi.

In '10 after the game, I remember simply posting some messages in LU & then went & went to bed. I was actually surprised I didn't f*c-k about more.

i agreed with everything you said until you said brown eye could coach

Dragonslayer

First Grade
How good was that!!!

I dont know when the video was made (probably before Deano missed out on the top job) but all 4 - Deano, Gypsy, Sowie and Fein spoke so well. You could still feel the passion and pride their voices (seriously, we should be getting Sowie in as a halves mentor).

10yrs on and what has become of the 'true believers?

I hope under Hook, we can resurrect this notion and see this as part of our 'culture' thats been erased over the past 7 or 8 years under chinless and in particular McGregor.

2021 - the rise of the Red V.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
This won’t be a quick fix. Creeping inherited a good club and structure from Browneye.

Hook is inheriting a giant turd.
True and I think he can coach also, but Brown had a pretty bloody strong team. Always thought and I know a lot of comments around the time was that we underperformed under Brown. Used to do some silly things to loose games and feel we should have picked up a comp in there somewhere.....

gregstar

Referee
I believe the guy can coach.
He's a smart cookie.

Brian Smith from memory said he's the smartest player he coached?
He just lacked that hard edged experience when he was with us.
I don't hold him responsible for the Noughts struggling - he took on a dunger job.

I hope he succeeds at the Warriors.
It would be great for the game over there if they nabbed a title.

Latest posts