What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

Magpies Forever

Juniors
I hope we get JAC but dont want a long winded saga played out in the media like Latrell M was. Basically agree with the statement earlier we have to fix our spine and get that working properly. This next season must be the last chance for Brooks to step up, I have no probs if we sign Sezer from ESL to replace him, Doueihi at 5/8 looks to be right, Liddell at hooker (just hope he stays healthy- again like Brooks probably his last season to show value for WT, fullback who knows maybe JAC if we get him and he perfroms at fullback rather than wing, but if he doesnt do it possibly Mbye but I kind of like him as a super utility on interchange but that too seems a less than useful role for a $800k p.a player.

So, if we really only have 1 or 2 slots open for recruitment, it has to be fullback options- JAC and who???

Tigerm

First Grade
I hope we get JAC but dont want a long winded saga played out in the media like Latrell M was. Basically agree with the statement earlier we have to fix our spine and get that working properly. This next season must be the last chance for Brooks to step up, I have no probs if we sign Sezer from ESL to replace him, Doueihi at 5/8 looks to be right, Liddell at hooker (just hope he stays healthy- again like Brooks probably his last season to show value for WT, fullback who knows maybe JAC if we get him and he perfroms at fullback rather than wing, but if he doesnt do it possibly Mbye but I kind of like him as a super utility on interchange but that too seems a less than useful role for a $800k p.a player.

So, if we really only have 1 or 2 slots open for recruitment, it has to be fullback options- JAC and who???
Yes, you would hope we have learned our lesson re: LM.
If JAC hasn’t shown interest yet, then hopefully we are still searching, because he probably ain’t coming.
Though our chairman said he was comfortable with the situation, although I think he said similar about Latrell.
With who we have and who’s coming, I believe we are only a decent quick back from being competitive to make the 8, but not winning it yet.

BrotherJim05

Bench
Yes, you would hope we have learned our lesson re: LM.
If JAC hasn’t shown interest yet, then hopefully we are still searching, because he probably ain’t coming.
Though our chairman said he was comfortable with the situation, although I think he said similar about Latrell.
With who we have and who’s coming, I believe we are only a decent quick back from being competitive to make the 8, but not winning it yet.

I don't think the issue is that he isn't interested. By all reports, he is very keen to come to Tigers and develop into a FB. I believe we are offering him premium winger money with incentives if he plays X amount of games at FB. It appears he knows the position is not guaranteed, but will be given first crack at it, particularly in that AD is likely to move to 5/8.

The issue is that Storm is refusing to let him go unless they get a like for like player. As much as it pisses me off I really respect Melbourne for not budging. We should have done the same thing with Matterson and forced Eels to let Stefano go early to us.

Mario chalmers

Juniors
I don't think the issue is that he isn't interested. By all reports, he is very keen to come to Tigers and develop into a FB. I believe we are offering him premium winger money with incentives if he plays X amount of games at FB. It appears he knows the position is not guaranteed, but will be given first crack at it, particularly in that AD is likely to move to 5/8.

The issue is that Storm is refusing to let him go unless they get a like for like player. As much as it pisses me off I really respect Melbourne for not budging. We should have done the same thing with Matterson and forced Eels to let Stefano go early to us.

Spot on regarding Matterson. That was poor management. Stefano might have played 20+ games for us this year and that would have been huge for his development.

Agree with you also regarding JAC also.

Mario chalmers

Juniors
We still have 4 spots left, although it is likely that McIntyre will take up one of those spots and looks like we have kept a spot free for JAC and possibly still holding out hope for Grant so there should be at least 1 other new player

I think JAC and McIntyre are locks so that leaves 2 spots. I can't see us bidding for Harry if he does leave the Storm. Clubs like Broncos and Bulldogs are going to waive big money at him surely? And we are already well stocked in the hooker position.

with the two spots I would hope for an experienced back and an edge backrower (one of whom should be a goalkicker)

Fordy20

Juniors
I reckon the club that would go hardest for Harry would be the Titans. Hooker is the one glaring weakness in that strong side they are building.

WA Tiger

Bench
As much as it pisses me off I really respect Melbourne for not budging. We should have done the same thing with Matterson and forced Eels to let Stefano go early to us.
The difference is JAC isn’t poison for the team he’s wanting to leave...Has there been a precedent for this “we want a like for like first” from Bellamy? I’m still thinking JAC will leave regardless because of the fuss him staying will cause..Bellamys just giving it a go...At least it’s the storm which is like a magnet for players

Last edited:

BrotherJim05

Bench
Regarding Harry Grant - as much as I love the kid I don't think we will be majorly screwed if he leaves. Liddle was very impressive this year, and we have young Jake Simpkin coming through.

If Smith retires though, I'd be really pushing Storm to take Simpkin as a replacement for Grant. They can continue with their Smith/Smith combo, then when Cam retires Brandon takes the 9 jersey and Simpkin can be first choice replacement.

I just don't see Smith/Smith/Grant all being at the Storm in 2021, and this way they at least get to keep the current successful hooking combo they have now + a very good youngster to blood.

Here's hoping:
Momo and Simpkin to Storm
Grant and JAC to Tigers

lol

super_coach

First Grade
Regarding Harry Grant - as much as I love the kid I don't think we will be majorly screwed if he leaves. Liddle was very impressive this year, and we have young Jake Simpkin coming through.

If Smith retires though, I'd be really pushing Storm to take Simpkin as a replacement for Grant. They can continue with their Smith/Smith combo, then when Cam retires Brandon takes the 9 jersey and Simpkin can be first choice replacement.

I just don't see Smith/Smith/Grant all being at the Storm in 2021, and this way they at least get to keep the current successful hooking combo they have now + a very good youngster to blood.

Here's hoping:
Momo and Simpkin to Storm
Grant and JAC to Tigers

lol
More chance of winning powerball two weeks in a row

What garbage about AJ being lowballed by us. Didn't he reportedly sign for $200K less than his last deal with Souths? If anyone lowballed him while he is in career best form it's the Bunnies.

BrotherJim05

Bench
Game changer.

1. JAC
2. Nofa
3. Talau/BJ
4. Mbye
5. Kepoa
6. AD
7. Brooks
8. Aloai
9. Grant
10. Tamoa
11. Luciano
12. Garner/Blore/McIntyre
13. Twal

14. Mikale/Stefano/Musgrove/Packer
15. Mikale/Stefano/Musgrove/Packer
16. Garner/Blore/McIntyre
17. Liddle/Reynolds

Legit top 8 contenders

Then once Packer/Ryenolds contracts end we basically have the same squad + 1.5 million in free Salary Cap space for 2022

Mr Spock!

Referee
1. JAC
2. Nofa
3. Talau/BJ
4. Mbye
5. Kepoa
6. AD
7. Brooks
8. Aloai
9. Grant
10. Tamoa
11. Luciano
12. Garner/Blore/McIntyre
13. Twal

14. Mikale/Stefano/Musgrove/Packer
15. Mikale/Stefano/Musgrove/Packer
16. Garner/Blore/McIntyre
17. Liddle/Reynolds

Legit top 8 contenders

Then once Packer/Ryenolds contracts end we basically have the same squad + 1.5 million in free Salary Cap space for 2022
If you think that's a top 8 contender, you're dreaming.

You need to get rid of mbye as well. Isn't he on like a million dollars.

BrotherJim05

Bench

We were a Top 8 contender majority of this year. The squad I listed has the additions of JAC, Tamoa, Stefano and Grant (for the full year + pre-season)...I don't see how we won't be with that squad for 2021

Tigerm

First Grade
Apparently the full story is in the Australian, so I can't get it. It is journalists writing it, so may be true or not, but it sounds explosive. BOOM

https://www.news.com.au/sport/sport...s/news-story/06e9d924dae35a5ac030393fa343da35

NRL, South Sydney must respond to bombshell Sam Burgess allegations

The NRL and South Sydney have been rocked by serious allegations levelled at former Rabbitohs star Sam Burgess on the eve of the finals series.

After a four-month investigation into various off-field matters, The Australian newspaper published an exclusive report on Thursday night.

It includes claims that South Sydney officials went to great lengths to prevent the public exposure of the raucous post-season celebrations of the English-born star late in his career.

Burgess’ lawyer Mark O’Brien last night issued a stern rebuttal of claims in the newspaper directed at his client.

“The allegations are false and constitute an indefensible defamation against my client,” Mr O’Brien told the newspaper.

“It is apparent sources of the false allegations are those currently in dispute with my client over various issues.”

But the rugby league community is demanding answers.

“Souths and Sam Burgess have serious questions to answer today,” veteran rugby league reporter Danny Weidler said. “These details demand that Burgess and other officials be stood down whilst investigated.”

English rugby league star Burgess joined South Sydney in 2010 and quickly became one of the game’s premier forwards and was instrumental in the Rabbitohs’ 2014 premiership success, winning the Clive Churchill Medal as the best player in the grand final.

He left the sport for rugby union in 2015 and was part of England’s disastrous World Cup campaign before returning to rugby league in 2016.

Named one of the best players of the 2010-2019 decade, Burgess battled shoulder injuries late in his career before he was medically retired at the end of the 2019 season.

It saw increased scrutiny of his private life including a messy break up with now estranged wife Phoebe. The pair separated in 2018 but reconciled in early 2019 before finally splitting in October 2019.

After the split, Burgess was hit with an apprehended violence order after an alleged dispute in Bowral with Phoebe’s father Mitchell Hooke.

Burgess has pleaded not guilty and denied any wrongdoing.

His lawyer Bryan Wrench told court in November 2019 they were “false allegations” but the AVO was upheld with the case set to be heard in this November.

As little as two weeks ago, Burgess, who has taken on a role as development coach
with the Rabbitohs under the tutelage of Souths coach Wayne Bennett, was being linked a potential return to the NRL.

The South Sydney Rabbitohs have been contacted for comment.

Mr Spock!

Referee
Apparently the full story is in the Australian, so I can't get it. It is journalists writing it, so may be true or not, but it sounds explosive. BOOM

https://www.news.com.au/sport/sport...s/news-story/06e9d924dae35a5ac030393fa343da35

NRL, South Sydney must respond to bombshell Sam Burgess allegations

The NRL and South Sydney have been rocked by serious allegations levelled at former Rabbitohs star Sam Burgess on the eve of the finals series.

After a four-month investigation into various off-field matters, The Australian newspaper published an exclusive report on Thursday night.

It includes claims that South Sydney officials went to great lengths to prevent the public exposure of the raucous post-season celebrations of the English-born star late in his career.

Burgess’ lawyer Mark O’Brien last night issued a stern rebuttal of claims in the newspaper directed at his client.

“The allegations are false and constitute an indefensible defamation against my client,” Mr O’Brien told the newspaper.

“It is apparent sources of the false allegations are those currently in dispute with my client over various issues.”

But the rugby league community is demanding answers.

“Souths and Sam Burgess have serious questions to answer today,” veteran rugby league reporter Danny Weidler said. “These details demand that Burgess and other officials be stood down whilst investigated.”

English rugby league star Burgess joined South Sydney in 2010 and quickly became one of the game’s premier forwards and was instrumental in the Rabbitohs’ 2014 premiership success, winning the Clive Churchill Medal as the best player in the grand final.

He left the sport for rugby union in 2015 and was part of England’s disastrous World Cup campaign before returning to rugby league in 2016.

Named one of the best players of the 2010-2019 decade, Burgess battled shoulder injuries late in his career before he was medically retired at the end of the 2019 season.

It saw increased scrutiny of his private life including a messy break up with now estranged wife Phoebe. The pair separated in 2018 but reconciled in early 2019 before finally splitting in October 2019.

After the split, Burgess was hit with an apprehended violence order after an alleged dispute in Bowral with Phoebe’s father Mitchell Hooke.

Burgess has pleaded not guilty and denied any wrongdoing.

His lawyer Bryan Wrench told court in November 2019 they were “false allegations” but the AVO was upheld with the case set to be heard in this November.

As little as two weeks ago, Burgess, who has taken on a role as development coach
with the Rabbitohs under the tutelage of Souths coach Wayne Bennett, was being linked a potential return to the NRL.

The South Sydney Rabbitohs have been contacted for comment.
Oh yeah it's finals week.

Latest posts