What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Curtis Scott

Perth Red

Post Whore
haha and should we be cuffed, OC sprayed and tasered after falling asleep?

We seem to be mixing two wrongs up here to suggest Scott was was right?

Scott is a merkin for being unprofessional in getting so pissed he passed out, acted illegally like a twat and generally once again made the NRL look like its full of knuckle draggers.
The cops were wrong for not doing their job professionally, being abusive merkins and lying about what occurred.

AJB1102

First Grade
We seem to be mixing two wrongs up here to suggest Scott was was right?

Scott is a merkin for being unprofessional in getting so pissed he passed out, acted illegally like a twat and generally once again made the NRL look like its full of knuckle draggers.
The cops were wrong for not doing their job professionally, being abusive merkins and lying about what occurred.

Spot on. I got nothing mixed up.

Nothing he did deserved the treatment he got, whether he's a footballer acting unprofessionally or a traidie who had a few too many.

Warriors Fever

Juniors
These same kind of attitudes and straw man arguments that see deaths in custody go unpunished.

What got Scott into the news is the ‘assault on the Female officer’ Not whether he allegedly kicked a bike.. ooo what a horrid crime. What if they didn’t have body cams? Would have been just there word against his (drunken recollection of events).

That is corruption at its worst and is a much bigger issue than if a drunk person kicked a bike.

Perth Red

Post Whore
These same kind of attitudes and straw man arguments that see deaths in custody go unpunished.

What got Scott into the news is the ‘assault on the Female officer’ Not whether he allegedly kicked a bike.. ooo what a horrid crime. What if they didn’t have body cams? Would have been just there word against his (drunken recollection of events).

That is corruption at its worst and is a much bigger issue than if a drunk person kicked a bike.

For society yes, for the game of Rugby League no.

blue bags

First Grade
do you think, the 4 police officers that were involved, knew Scott an NRL player, or just a random joe blow public. these officers were trained in goulburn, to behave properly as officers, the situation that night, and the disgusting behavior went on for months, with the court case, it took 8 months for the body cam videos to be exposed, a cover up for 8 months, imagine if there were no videos. Scott would have been stuffed over big time, that why i don't trust police , which is wrong but what can you do

Narcissistic abuse is a hypernym for the psychological, financial, sexual, and physical abuse of others by someone with narcissistic traits or suffering from narcissistic personality disorder (NPD).

The prosecutor had argued police did the best they could in the circumstances and were worried Scott might have wandered onto the road and been hit by a car.

Magistrate Giles dismissed that as "absurd".

"I genuinely think Mr Scott might have been safer if he had wandered onto the roadway and been hit by a car," she said.

"Try to watch the bodycam footage without flinching, and not through your fingers, and try to remember that you're not watching gratuitous violence off the dark web."

The magistrate questioned why the prosecution was pressed for eight months, including a two-day hearing the Local Court, where there is in excess of 82,000 cases waiting to be heard.

Mr Macedone had repeatedly attempted to warn police of flaws in their case, all the while making his costs clear, she said.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-09-25/nsw-police-to-pay-costs-to-nrl-star-curtis-scott/12702080

Chief_Chujo

First Grade

Great post. The worrying part(for us) of this whole ordeal was the prosecution pushing ahead with the case. They knew it was going to collapse in court but the kept going in hopes of Scott collapsing under the emotional or financial pressure. To me that suggests collusion between the prosecution and police. Were it someone in a weaker position, they would have got away with it.

Warriors Fever

Juniors
Great post. The worrying part(for us) of this whole ordeal was the prosecution pushing ahead with the case. They knew it was going to collapse in court but the kept going in hopes of Scott collapsing under the emotional or financial pressure. To me that suggests collusion between the prosecution and police. Were it someone in a weaker position, they would have got away with it.
Spot on

nick87

Coach
Yeah that's the real troubling aspect of this for sure
If the cops act like thugs, well there is not a lot you can do about that other than reprimand them and hopefully get them out of the force eventually if behaviour continues

But for the prosecution to continue to pursue this is dreadful and frankly a sackable offence imo. As rightly stated, the only reason Scott was cleared was because he had the means to take on 100k of costs to fight this... most of us on this forum, couldnt have afforded to fight this charge and we'd be stiffed with a criminal record, and the impacts that can have on the rest of your life with jobs/career progression

The prosecutor who stubbornly refused to drop this matter should be sacked. The officers involved should be heavily reprimanded and if they have a history of this sort of thing, removed from their positions of power.

You have to wonder how many people a week who dont have 100k to fight this are being assaulted by the boys in blue every week

BadnMean

Juniors
Kid's lawyer is gonna go to town! Your lawyer might not be allowed to tell you what to say but your manager with a law degree can.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/cu...police-over-botched-case-20201128-p56iqo.html

Macedone is streets ahead of that clown he first hired. To be honest, the cops & prosecutors have made an absolute embarrassment of themselves. Friend of mine is a detective sargeant in the AFP & he was gobsmacked at the amateurish, vindictive & ill disciplined treatment of the whole thing from start to finish.

Everything Scott says sounds pretty believable to me- he's just a bit more articulate than the avg player who might say "Yeah course I was sh*tscared all the time that one of these bullSh*t charges would stick and i'd get the farkin sack bro. Was doin my head in, like totally doin it in bad man, I could hardly sleep and I started playin sh*t and that".

His form was certainly bad- not up to even FG standard and certainly the worst of his career. Not sure if they need to prove causality there or how they do though.

AJB1102

First Grade
Macedone is streets ahead of that clown he first hired. To be honest, the cops & prosecutors have made an absolute embarrassment of themselves. Friend of mine is a detective sargeant in the AFP & he was gobsmacked at the amateurish, vindictive & ill disciplined treatment of the whole thing from start to finish.

Everything Scott says sounds pretty believable to me- he's just a bit more articulate than the avg player who might say "Yeah course I was sh*tscared all the time that one of these bullSh*t charges would stick and i'd get the farkin sack bro. Was doin my head in, like totally doin it in bad man, I could hardly sleep and I started playin sh*t and that".

His form was certainly bad- not up to even FG standard and certainly the worst of his career. Not sure if they need to prove causality there or how they do though.

haha his worst form in FG to date might yet yield him one of his best pay days.

shear_joy9

Coach
hopefully he gets a massive payout and decides to retire from the nrl and move to bali/thailand.

All the police officers involved should be sacked and charged with assault. The lead prosecutor should be fired as well for proceeding with this case. What an enormous waste of time and tax payers money.

blue bags

First Grade
Curtis Scott commences legal action against police over botched case

Curtis Scott will take civil action against police for their botched handling of his Australia Day arrest in action that could result in a six-figure damages payout.

Scott was arrested and charged with seven offences, including the assault of two police officers, after falling asleep under a tree in Moore Park. The charges against Scott – including two for offensive behaviour, to which he had previously pleaded guilty – were dismissed after police body-camera footage from the arresting officers was shown in court.

508a9db4dd712d8f441468004aa342cec2b5e839

The vision showed Scott being handcuffed, Tasered and capsicum sprayed before regaining consciousness. One of Scott's lawyers told the court that a female officer stood on Scott's foot on purpose and twisted his ankle.

In September, Magistrate Jennifer Giles deemed the arrest "unlawful". Five of the original seven charges were withdrawn by police after that decision, while Giles dismissed two charges for offensive behaviour, with no conviction recorded.

NRL hands Scott $15,000 suspended fine for Australia Day incident
After considering his options since the Raiders’ season concluded, Scott has decided to proceed with legal action.

“The answer is yes, I’m instructed to go ahead with the claim,” Scott’s lawyer Sam Macedone told The Sun-Herald.

“We sought a transcript of what happened in court, which I’ve now got. I’d say we’d be in the process of issuing a statement of claim hopefully before Christmas.

“It should never have got to court, but I couldn't talk them out of it.

“I made it quite clear very early on in the piece that if they withdrew, there would be no application for costs. But they saw fit to run it, so game on. Next year, it will come to roost.”

While Scott was exonerated in court, the NRL took a dim view of the incident. The governing body issued Scott with a $15,000 fine, the entirety of which will be suspended if the former Storm centre completes mandated education and counselling programs.

Given the NRL had the power to stand Scott down until the court matter was finalised, Macedone said he was comfortable with how league officials handled the saga.

“At the end of the day, I’m happy with that,” he said.

In September, Scott spoke of the toll the incident had taken on him.

"I'm just happy I can get a full eight hours of sleep at night and not wake up with an anxiety attack," Scott said. "I've been coming in putting on a brave face. Knowing I'm at such a great club that has supported me through it all, and such a great playing group, made it much easier to come in.

"But always laying down in bed thinking, 'If one of these charges stick, I could be out of the workforce' every day is pretty scary."

e96bb1894842377bd446b06367bcc490ecef25b8

Adrian Proszenko
Adrian Proszenko is the Chief Rugby League Reporter for the Sydney Morning Herald.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/cu...police-over-botched-case-20201128-p56iqo.html

myrrh ken

First Grade
Well he's barely first grade, so will need some funds when he gets punted.

Another former storm fraud

Latest posts