What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Football Staff for 2021

I like the notion that they each bring their own strengths, but why not have one of the assistants be new school? Someone similar vintage to Ryles or Fitzgibbon who are on the pulse tactically?

It's got a real 'my grandparents are getting nbn but don't know what a modem or computer is' vibe about it all.

Lol.

I get that feeling v my kids.

I’ve tried to get the lad into the footy but he’s a geek.

The fitzburger was not a happy camper during the bloodbath. He looked like he was growing hair.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
I like the notion that they each bring their own strengths, but why not have one of the assistants be new school? Someone similar vintage to Ryles or Fitzgibbon who are on the pulse tactically?

It's got a real 'my grandparents are getting nbn but don't know what a modem or computer is' vibe about it all.
Love the analogy gitano, but just don’t think the modern game is really that complex; if anything I feel it’s dumbed down (unfortunately), and can’t see how the age factor would impact.....

Last edited:

gitano

Juniors
Love the analogy gitano, but just don’t think the modern game is really that complex; if anything I feel it’s dumbed down (unfortunately), and can’t see how the age factor would impact.....
It's plenty smart, trust me.
Commentators have dumbed it down significantly and the media cater to the masses in how they report.

There's a heap of technical detail, if you're prepared to look, and if you know what you're looking at

Inisai Toga

Juniors
It's plenty smart, trust me.
Commentators have dumbed it down significantly and the media cater to the masses in how they report.

There's a heap of technical detail, if you're prepared to look, and if you know what you're looking at
You could be right; still can’t see how these ‘old bastards’ would miss the ‘heaps of technical details’ though...?

Last edited:

Old Timer

Coach
You could be right; still can’t see how these ‘old bastards’ would miss the ‘heaps of technical details’ though...?
The game itself is no more technical today then it was 20 years ago

Run, pass, catch, offload, support, kick, tackle, commit nothing new in any of that.

No doubt the athleticism, fitness levels, body shapes, strength & conditioning elements have evolved as the wrestling became a dominant part of the game but Ryles & Fitzgibbon & Co would have no role to play in that.

HC can’t be in the ears of the players all the time otherwise their message will get lost and that’s where the assistants come into their own and age is not a pre-requisite although younger fitter types probably resonate a little better with the playing group although Young certainly didn’t.

If age was a factor, the game wouldn’t have Wayne Bennett!

And apart from getting his side into the finals, their performance last week was historic over the 112 years of the formal game.

He said it was difficult to think of a stronger win in his 33 years of coaching.

So many players at full tilt is mind blowing and with the goat sidelined worrying about himself too.

If anything, it’s a case for older coaches.

He’s got more going on upstairs than just about anyone else in the game with no signs of slowing down. The opposite actually.

So long as his basically healthy etc, he could coach and be successful for at least another decade.

Last edited:

Gareth67

First Grade

Agree the younger tactical ‘ wizards ‘ so to speak would had been my preference also gitano . However according to media reports Fitzgibbon was still loyal to the Roosters and apparently rejected the Dragons approach whereas Ryles was still overseas .

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Agree the younger tactical ‘ wizards ‘ so to speak would had been my preference also gitano . However according to media reports Fitzgibbon was still loyal to the Roosters and apparently rejected the Dragons approach whereas Ryles was still overseas .
Ryles was next to Bellamy on Sunday

draco

Juniors
NRL REVIVAL

Incoming St George Illawarra assistant coach Matt Elliott says he owes the Dragons “everything” as he prepares to make a homecoming to the club.

Elliott was announced this week alongside another ex-St George player in Peter Gentle as part of a revamped St George Illawarra coaching staff under Anthony Griffin. Elliott hasn’t coached since leaving the Warriors in 2014 but has had a desire to return to the NRL in recent times. It wasn’t until Griffin called and asked Elliott’s opinion on a range of matters just last week that planted the seed in Elliott’s mind about joining Griffin’s staff.

“I owe the club everything,” Elliott said.

“I played my first grade games there and got a free set of torpedoes. I began my coaching career there. To have the opportunity to go back and make a difference, I’m not going to leave any stone unturned in getting the team heading in the right direction under Anthony.

“Returning to coaching has been itching at me.”

Elliott has been running a successful business – The Change Room – working with the likes of Anthony Minichiello to help people overcome poor health, illness and injury. He has also been working for ABC Grandstand.

“We have to create an environment for them to play their best footy,” Elliott said. “Then we need to give them systems of preparation to elevate that. My external observation is there are a lot of good players there but they haven’t played well. Players aren’t the common denominator.

“It’s the environment to ensure we can let them focus on what they do best.”

The Dragons are also making a play for North Queensland representative forward Josh McGuire.

https://www.couriermail.com.au/spor...n/news-story/27867814480a23c859c8febb96426aed

Latest posts