What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'True Believers'

possm

Coach
How good was that!!!

I dont know when the video was made (probably before Deano missed out on the top job) but all 4 - Deano, Gypsy, Sowie and Fein spoke so well. You could still feel the passion and pride their voices (seriously, we should be getting Sowie in as a halves mentor).

10yrs on and what has become of the 'true believers?

I hope under Hook, we can resurrect this notion and see this as part of our 'culture' thats been erased over the past 7 or 8 years under chinless and in particular McGregor.

2021 - the rise of the Red V.
I'm hoping that a few of our Board members who were promoting the value of having Mary as coach will fall on their sword very soon.

thebigredv

First Grade
I believe the guy can coach.
He's a smart cookie.

Brian Smith from memory said he's the smartest player he coached?
He just lacked that hard edged experience when he was with us.
I don't hold him responsible for the Noughts struggling - he took on a dunger job.

I hope he succeeds at the Warriors.
It would be great for the game over there if they nabbed a title.

Smart enough to buy Euan Aitken...

gregstar

Referee
Smart enough to buy Euan Aitken...
lol.

I actually think the douche had a better season this year than last.

But he only had to turn up at the right venue wearing boots to improve upon last year's effort.
The bar wasn't too high.

thebigredv

First Grade
lol.

But he only had to turn up at the right venue wearing boots to improve upon last year's effort.
The bar wasn't too high.

I think he caused about three times the amount of opposition tries than he scored in his career. He showed heaps of promise early on, got some big wraps, and then never lived up to the hype from that point. Overrated and persisted with far too long. Better season this year but agree that's not saying much. Usually played ok around contract time. See ya Euan.

gregstar

Referee
He showed heaps of promise early on, got some big wraps, and then never lived up to the hype from that point.

Agree.

He looked great in the beginning of '18 when the side played well for 10 rounds, was mentioned as a possible state player & presto - turned into a chewie.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Great doco and like you Gregstar I am amazed I did not celebrate as much as I should have because like you I just felt relieved to finaly win a comp. I even drove past Kogarah Jubillee on the way home and did not bother to stop. How bad is that.......

Browny could coach alright. You know that saying you hear " You cannot blame the coach, he is not the one on the field missing the tackles and dropping the ball". Well that applies to Browny, he got them to the big stage and the boys did not follow the game plan that got them there. They picked those games to play bad footy.

How sad is it how Barrett got pinned against the Tigers in the Major Semi for running of the mark after apparently being held and now you see it happen all the time and the refs let them go back to the mark, no penalty at all. From being a penalty that cost a team a potential finals spot to nothing.Saints would have beaten the Cowboys and won that year for sure.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
lol.

The bar wasn't too high.

he played a bit better this year because it was the last year of his contract.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
Great doco and like you Gregstar I am amazed I did not celebrate as much as I should have because like you I just felt relieved to finaly win a comp. I even drove past Kogarah Jubillee on the way home and did not bother to stop. How bad is that.......

Browny could coach alright. You know that saying you hear " You cannot blame the coach, he is not the one on the field missing the tackles and dropping the ball". Well that applies to Browny, he got them to the big stage and the boys did not follow the game plan that got them there. They picked those games to play bad footy.

How sad is it how Barrett got pinned against the Tigers in the Major Semi for running of the mark after apparently being held and now you see it happen all the time and the refs let them go back to the mark, no penalty at all. From being a penalty that cost a team a potential finals spot to nothing.Saints would have beaten the Cowboys and won that year for sure.

the annoying thing is, the walking off the mark rule was changed because of that incident. Just like the 20 metre restart after catching the ball on the full in the in goal was changed after Canterbury bombarded saints in the 85 GF

gitano

Juniors
Wish they did the doco properly, it was basically just an hour or so of cliches and one liners.

So many facets and key individuals involved barely got a mention (if at all), and I was confused who the target audience was meant to be.

Some of the recent sports doco's have set a high bar, I mean it wasn't terrible, but as a true believer there wasn't much substance to it.

St Georgio

Juniors
I don't know how others felt watching it, but when the footage of '85, '92, '93, '96, '99, '05 & '06 was run, it simply reminded me that I didn't actually celebrate to the extent I thought I would. I really only felt relief.

I suffered badly in '85 because we were denied the chance by 1 point to cap off the most dominant club performance in the history of rugby league in this country.

In '92 I was disappointed but was happy we'd got there after 7 years of absolute second rate crap. Mind you this was erased during the Price / Jowls era where we were sub chewie level. If we're ever worse than that, I'll quit the game. (f**k true believing when that sh*t is dished up)

In '93 I was definitely p*ssed. We were in form, had momentum & the Drongos were busted. It was a boringly crappy game & we lost to a club subsequently proven to be rorting the cap.

In '96 I was simply in awe of Waite's effort & the club's personnel (except Tallis). Getting there is the club's greatest achievement. Losing sucked but I was absolutely proud of the group.

In '99 I suffered. That sucked & I hate talking about it.

In '05 we had a team that could storm the gates of hell & lost. That sucked & I hate talking about it.

In '06 I just felt we wouldn't beat the scum (who also were found to be rorting) so whilst disappointed (again!) I accepted it. I'd point out however that that finals series highlighted to me that Browneye could coach! We played two completely different styles 2 weeks in a row under pressure and won. Our effort against the Drongos was simply outstanding.

'09 sucked balls but I was again happy we'd climbed the table to win a minor premiership for the first time since '85. I just felt we'd lose to the Drongos in Brisbane given what happened in the first semi.

In '10 after the game, I remember simply posting some messages in LU & then went to bed. I was actually surprised I didn't f*c-k about more.

I agree with 99% with this, it was a relief seeing the Red V win it, I personally have become more emotional with other sports, which is quite strange, when the Dragons have been my number 1 team since the late 70's, for example when Liverpool came back from the dead to beat Barcelona to win the Club Championship for the 6th time.
For me the passion towards the whole game is not the same anymore-
85 loss , 86-90 diabolical, 93 Loss, 96 Mathew Ridge, 99 dagger to the heart worst GF Loss ripped off, 05, 06 missed opportunity, 2011 could have won back to back but Mr Big Ego did his job then pissed off, thanks for the 1 night stand, 2012-2020 forced suffering from the BOD, We Should have had a new coach for the Start of the 2017 season, but wasted a further 4 years of nothingness, the icing of the cake is seeing Scumulla, Souffs win GF's and the Cherry on top is seeing the Number 1 Rorters in the game go on to win 3 premierships and a possible fourth.

Last edited:

Adolf_Spritzer

Juniors
I dont care what anybody says, Ben Hornby was my Clive Churchill winner. Barking orders well into the final minutes of the game. When most of the others started getting swept up in the moment, there was old Benny just making sure.. he was all class.

Glad Gypsy got a special mention too

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Liverpool won their first English title in 30 years as well. 2 awesome team both alike.

If only Dragons were what Liverpool is now in the league and that is the benchmark team of the world of football all because they have the best Manager/coach in charge. Goes to show how important a coach is but our club pick rookies until now.

This Year?

Immortal
I found it quite bland. The trip down memory game was nice, but there's nothing we didn't already know. It might have given slightly more insight for a casual viewer.
I find the whole "true believer" thing a slap in the face to dragons supporters whose culture of disappointment over the shortcomings of the team's performance in big games over the last 3 decades have been well documented.
I know it makes me look like a really sad f**k, but I'm sure many people feel the same way.

thebigredv

First Grade
I found it quite bland. The trip down memory game was nice, but there's nothing we didn't already know. It might have given slightly more insight for a casual viewer.
I find the whole "true believer" thing a slap in the face to dragons supporters whose culture of disappointment over the shortcomings of the team's performance in big games over the last 3 decades have been well documented.
I know it makes me look like a really sad f**k, but I'm sure many people feel the same way.

I feel the same way.

Where is us trying to sign Bellamy or Bennett as directors?? We know what brings success but those in charge would rather do the easy and comfortable thing instead of pursue actual success. We seem to exist and any serious achievement is just a bonus.

The loyal fans see it, say it and get nothing by way of action.