What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 - Squad, Signings, Re-signings

redv13

Bench
  • Props - Hetherington, Welch and Pangai Jr
  • Backrow - the big O
  • Fullback - RTS
Recruitment completed. Move Laurie and Merrin to the Canterbury Cup Competition. So forward packs is to be as follows:

NRL
Vaughan
McInnes
Welch
T Sims
Big O
De Belin

Bench
Hetherington
Pangai Jr
Kerr
Ford
Cmon possm you’re off ya meds again old chap.

Maddragon99

Juniors
Jason Saab is a huge asset to us I believe and we need to play his card very well. We will only release him for a swap and with our recent emergence of some good local backs I reckon our best option is to try and organise a swap deal with the Rorters for Crichton. It makes perfect sense. Crichton will get to start and replace Friz, while Saab will get to learn off Tupou and should get plenty of game time with the Morris boys not getting any younger. It will definitely bite us as he will become pretty great I reckon but we desperately need a top line backrower.

I think Saab will stay, McGregor was the problem. jordan pereira will be the one on the outer. Saab & Matt Feagai will be fighting for his spot. On form Ramsey has to be in the side so that leaves Ravalawa as backup

Dragon David

First Grade
Most people want him in the side for his carries and for his strength to bulldoze over close to the line. I can’t see why he can’t be turned into a really good backrower. I imagine he would be pretty dangerous running lines off Sullivan.
The problem with Rava to me is that he doesn't have a great fend for someone who could be a hard runner bringing the ball back. His leg drives aren't too strong either to push more in a tackle. The opposition do not have trouble in tackling him as all they need to do is hold onto his legs and he comes down quickly. I still think that he is a good finisher on the wing but put him under the high ball all day and he will make mistakes which becomes heart attack material.

possm

Coach
Welch has resigned with Melbourne hasn't he?
Welch has agreed to stay at Melboune and his signature depends on C Smith's decision to play on or not. So no he has not signed as yet and would not sign with the Dragons for the low ball offer of 300k. I'd say 400-600k will win his signature. Apparantly Vaughan is on 600k.

possm

Coach
Yep and RTS has committed to Warriors for the next 2 years. Doesn't stop possm listing them in his team every time.
Would have been great to get RTS when he was wanting a move back to Sydney. However, if he has changed his mind, a first grade fullback with size, good defence and the ability to read and direct our team from the back would be a good improvement and most probably a must if we are serious about being competitive in 2021 and beyond.

possm

Coach
Most people want him in the side for his carries and for his strength to bulldoze over close to the line. I can’t see why he can’t be turned into a really good backrower. I imagine he would be pretty dangerous running lines off Sullivan.
I have confidence in Griffin finding the right solutions and if it meant moving Ravalawa to the back row I'd be fine with that; at least he is still in our cap and so no extra cost right now. He would have to get used to much more defence and probably a stint in Canterbury Cup in the early weeks of the 2021 season before being considered for first grade.

possm

Coach
The problem with Rava to me is that he doesn't have a great fend for someone who could be a hard runner bringing the ball back. His leg drives aren't too strong either to push more in a tackle. The opposition do not have trouble in tackling him as all they need to do is hold onto his legs and he comes down quickly. I still think that he is a good finisher on the wing but put him under the high ball all day and he will make mistakes which becomes heart attack material.
Leg-drive and palm-off drills would be something the new coaching staff could do well for him. The extra workload would be something Ravalawa would find it hard to adjust to. So a big effort increasing his fitness and durability in the off-season would be a must.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I’m not 100% on him becoming a great backrower but I can’t see him getting his spot back from Ramsey anytime soon. He’s just come into grade, is great under the high ball wayyy better acceleration than Rava and is a hard worker. If Lomax makes a half break Ramsey will finish it with speed. Rava is still young and can work on things but I can see him only getting bulkier at the expense of a touch of speed. Anyway interesting times ahead, can’t wait for the trials.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Rava was 'dropped' by Young for not competing enough not due to injury etc.
He didn't appear on the team sheet (even in the 21) after that.

Is there more to this story?

Gareth67

First Grade
Rava was 'dropped' by Young for not competing enough not due to injury etc.
He didn't appear on the team sheet (even in the 21) after that.

Is there more to this story?

Not competing said Young ?

I find that very odd as Rava as we all know had not only become a try-scoring machine for the Dragons , but was also excelling in his new roll of bulldozing the opposition .

Although - as Dragon David has mentioned he could be ‘ heart attack ‘ material at times , he certainly had improved his game so I really don’t know why Young would say such a thing ? A bit more to this than meets the eye .

As to him making the transition to the forwards I had thought the same a while back , however it takes a player with a totally different type of mentality to be able to play in the ‘ hogs ‘ . You are called upon to make the hard yards in attack and also the defensive workload would be too much for him week in - week out .

Let’s leave the bulldozer in the back line where he can do the most damage in both attack and defense .

Last edited:

getsmarty

Immortal
Welch has agreed to stay at Melboune and his signature depends on C Smith's decision to play on or not. So no he has not signed as yet and would not sign with the Dragons for the low ball offer of 300k. I'd say 400-600k will win his signature. Apparantly Vaughan is on 600k.

Just a question...where did you get the Lowball figure of 300K from ? Have a good day.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Not competing said Young ?

I find that very odd as Rava as we all know had not only become a try-scoring machine for the Dragons , but was also excelling in his new roll of bulldozing the opposition .

Although - as Dragon David has mentioned he could be ‘ heart attack ‘ material at times , he certainly had improved his game so I really don’t know why Young would say such a thing ? A bit more to this than meets the eye .

As to him making the transition to the forwards I had thought the same a while back , however it takes a player with a totally different type of mentality to be able to play in the ‘ hogs ‘ . You are called upon to make the hard yards in attack and also the defensive workload would be too much for him week in - week out .

Let’s leave the bulldozer in the back line where he can do the most damage in both attack and defense .
I’d love to see him excel but for some reason I feel Hook won’t take to him. Old school coaches won’t stand for dropped balls or lazy efforts. Let’s just hope that he comes into the pre season with a totally open mind, watches how they train and may the best men win.

Dragon David

First Grade
I’m not 100% on him becoming a great backrower but I can’t see him getting his spot back from Ramsey anytime soon. He’s just come into grade, is great under the high ball wayyy better acceleration than Rava and is a hard worker. If Lomax makes a half break Ramsey will finish it with speed. Rava is still young and can work on things but I can see him only getting bulkier at the expense of a touch of speed. Anyway interesting times ahead, can’t wait for the trials.
Yes, I must agree with you and Possm on your comments both insofar as Rava getting more training for durability and strength/fitness and Ramsey being hard to oust because of his ability to accelerate and beat a man and put in deft kicks from the side line in field for someone from our side to chase and score. I would say that Ramsey is definitely a thinker, which is so important and being able to anticipate and manoeuvre around the field and he can back up well.

Dragon David

First Grade
I’d love to see him excel but for some reason I feel Hook won’t take to him. Old school coaches won’t stand for dropped balls or lazy efforts. Let’s just hope that he comes into the pre season with a totally open mind, watches how they train and may the best men win.
If Rava can develop on the wing like Josh Mansour, then he could be a handful, but, and there is always a but with him, he has still a lot to learn to become a decent winger in the class of good wingers like Brett Morris and David Nofoaluma and others. A forwards position for him will be out of the question as fr as Griffin will be concerned in my opinion. Griffin will want no weaklings in the pack where we have been suffering for sometime (particularly without JDB).

hazzbeen

Bench
If Rava can develop on the wing like Josh Mansour, then he could be a handful, but, and there is always a but with him, he has still a lot to learn to become a decent winger in the class of good wingers like Brett Morris and David Nofoaluma and others. A forwards position for him will be out of the question as fr as Griffin will be concerned in my opinion. Griffin will want no weaklings in the pack where we have been suffering for sometime (particularly without JDB).
David I think they all should be worried , the 7 year holiday is over ......