What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Redcliffe put their hand up

ash the bash

Juniors
Hmmm not sure if they will be bigger than the Raiders/Q leagues club group but thats a debate for another time.

What "name" will they go with before the Dolphins is what has me curious. Initially felt a "Moreton Bay Dolphins" had a nice ring to it. However I'm starting to think a "South Queensland Dolphins" could work too. Especially if 10 home games are going to be based at Suncorp. Very generic name I know but plays nicely with a North Queensland already that someone mentioned earlier.

Pippen94

First Grade
Hmmm not sure if they will be bigger than the Raiders/Q leagues club group but thats a debate for another time.

What "name" will they go with before the Dolphins is what has me curious. Initially felt a "Moreton Bay Dolphins" had a nice ring to it. However I'm starting to think a "South Queensland Dolphins" could work too. Especially if 10 home games are going to be based at Suncorp. Very generic name I know but plays nicely with a North Queensland already that someone mentioned earlier.
North Brisbane - has to specific to area represented.

People from the south-east don't really identify as "South Queenslanders". "North Queensland" works because the people of northern Queensland want to secede from the rest of the state.

Dolphins own over $100 million worth of assets.

I don't know how much the Raiders own, but if it's more than Redcliffe then they're doing bloody well.

I reckon Moreton Bay or East Coast. Redcliffe could work too if the club focuses on the history of European settlement in south-east Queensland, which began in Redcliffe then was abandoned for Brisbane. The third team could then be Logan, as Patrick Logan was probably the most influential man in Queensland's history. If it wasn't for Patrick Logan then the settlement at Moreton would have been abandoned.

Pippen94

First Grade
People from the south-east don't really identify as "South Queenslanders". "North Queensland" works because the people of northern Queensland want to secede from the rest of the state.

I don't know how much the Raiders own, but if it's more than Redcliffe then they're doing bloody well.

I reckon Moreton Bay or East Coast. Redcliffe could work too if the club focuses on the history of European settlement in south-east Queensland, which began in Redcliffe then was abandoned for Brisbane. The third team could then be Logan, as Patrick Logan was probably the most influential man in Queensland's history. If it wasn't for Patrick Logan then the settlement at Moreton would have been abandoned.
Needs Brisbane in title to attract sponsors. Morton Bay is as big as Canberra but Dolphins should look to gain support in Sunshine coast & basically anything north of river

ash the bash

Juniors

Fair enough, good to hear a Queenslanders point of view about "South Queensland". Maybe the next best options are "Moreton Bay Dolphins" or "North Brisbane Dolphins". Can't be Redcliffe as they state on their website it won't be used.

In regards to the Raiders, they own 4 clubs in the ACT not including Queanbeyan leagues club. Also has a Canberra Raiders Trust that owns a whole heap of property all over the state. They would arguably be one of the most financially stable clubs in the NRL.

MugaB

Coach
Fair enough, good to hear a Queenslanders point of view about "South Queensland". Maybe the next best options are "Moreton Bay Dolphins" or "North Brisbane Dolphins". Can't be Redcliffe as they state on their website it won't be used.

In regards to the Raiders, they own 4 clubs in the ACT not including Queanbeyan leagues club. Also has a Canberra Raiders Trust that owns a whole heap of property all over the state. They would arguably be one of the most financially stable clubs in the NRL.
Off the field yes, but On the field, Ricky throws water bottles into the crowds... tehe

The Great Dane

First Grade

They also own the Toowoomba sports club and have their fingers in a bunch of other business's as well, but never let reality get in the way of a good story.

I like 'Moreton Bay' . Redcliffe is a suburb of Moreton Bay Regional Council and Moreton Bay stretches from Caloundra (Sunshine Coast) to Surfers Paradise (Gold Coast). That's a large catchment, including Sunshine Coast Regional Council, Moreton Bay Regional Council, Brisbane City Council, Redland City Council and Gold Coast City Council.

Canberra has done quite nicely for itself. The NRL needs strong clubs.

mongoose

Coach

The Raiders group Annual Report doesn't appear to be available online but I think they own a shit load of stuff....

Pippen94

First Grade
Anyway back to the Dolphins NRL bid.

On NRL reddit there is a post by a knowledgable person in Queensland Rugby league who breaks down all the QLD bids. Well worth a read, not sure if I can post that link here.

He does not include the Western Corridor and frankly I agree with him. You only hear the odd quote from the Jets CEO but nothing else concrete about the bid itself. I think they are gone as a serious contender this time around.

On the Bombers bid he summaries, which I agree with "Massive expenses to start up; No centre of excellence, training facilities, base of operations, leagues club, members or revenue apart from the initial buy in from the investors"

Quite favourable to the Easts "Brisbane Firehawks" bid but thinks the favourite would have to be the Dolphins. This quote is worth mentioning when thinking of things from an NRL point of view.
"The NRL would be looking for revenue and self-sustainability first and foremost"

They won't want another "Searle Gold Coast Titans" again, which hopefully imo means the Bombers will miss out.
Read that reddit post - guy is just another fan. Said dolphins brand was a negative!! Such a negavite titans tried to steal it

ash the bash

Juniors
Read that reddit post - guy is just another fan. Said dolphins brand was a negative!! Such a negavite titans tried to steal it

Yeah that was over the top, mind you he also admits it. His reasoning was lame too, Redcliffe didn't have great beaches to be called Dolphins. I can't think of a better brand that does not exist in top flight Aussie codes.

I like 'Moreton Bay' . Redcliffe is a suburb of Moreton Bay Regional Council and Moreton Bay stretches from Caloundra (Sunshine Coast) to Surfers Paradise (Gold Coast). That's a large catchment, including Sunshine Coast Regional Council, Moreton Bay Regional Council, Brisbane City Council, Redland City Council and Gold Coast City Council.

Canberra has done quite nicely for itself. The NRL needs strong clubs.
People from Sunshine Coast don’t associate themselves with being from Moreton Bay.
I like a more generic name such as SEQ dolphins.

Latest posts