What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

Tiger05

First Grade
If you think that's a top 8 contender, you're dreaming.

You need to get rid of mbye as well. Isn't he on like a million dollars.

I doubt he is on that much but who is going to take him for his salary ? No club pay full freight.

Tigers Tale

Juniors
WOW, be interesting how this plays out?

I actually think this story has legs. How many times have we heard a story where it starts "a source close to the club is quoted....." or "a mates brother who is friends with so and so told me this." Whenever I hear a story starting like that I tend to take it with a grain of salt and file it under BS.

This story however is quoting the exact source of where the information has come from, most likely obtained through GIPA and the media is prepared to say they have seen and possess copies of the actual information and there seems to be a lot of it. The media while often loose with the truth can at time dig up some truthful stories, their techniques are often similar to the way the cops obtain first hand statements or information. These reporters are not the same as Rothfield.

I might be wrong but this story I think may bring Burgess down and really bite the Bunnies.....

The Rosco

Bench
If there's no trace . . . absolutely zero trace of Souths, Fox, or the NRL sweeping anything under the carpet . . . . bring on the popcorn !!!

BrotherJim05

Bench
I actually think this story has legs. How many times have we heard a story where it starts "a source close to the club is quoted....." or "a mates brother who is friends with so and so told me this." Whenever I hear a story starting like that I tend to take it with a grain of salt and file it under BS.

This story however is quoting the exact source of where the information has come from, most likely obtained through GIPA and the media is prepared to say they have seen and possess copies of the actual information and there seems to be a lot of it. The media while often loose with the truth can at time dig up some truthful stories, their techniques are often similar to the way the cops obtain first hand statements or information. These reporters are not the same as Rothfield.

I might be wrong but this story I think may bring Burgess down and really bite the Bunnies.....

Exactly. This article has employed this thing I used to remember called Journalism. Haven't seen it in years but I think they decided to bring it back in this instance

Pezz70

Juniors
I still can’t see JAC or Grant at the Tigers next year, And I don’t think Tamou is money well spent either(I hope I’m wrong) but I don’t see him as putting up the performances that bring winning changes to the Tigers. We’ve got a bit of space now we’ve axed a few for next season but I don’t think there’s a lot of quality on the market

Tigerm

First Grade
This looks like high paid lawyers using the media to their advantage. I’m tipping it will die a natural death once Sam pays his dues. Not saying it isn’t true but it looks like a tactical ploy to me.
Hmm, not sure about this, the new commissioner is a forthright man. Someone will pay for this, probably Sam.

Tigerm

First Grade
I still can’t see JAC or Grant at the Tigers next year, And I don’t think Tamou is money well spent either(I hope I’m wrong) but I don’t see him as putting up the performances that bring winning changes to the Tigers. We’ve got a bit of space now we’ve axed a few for next season but I don’t think there’s a lot of quality on the market
Again, I never expected Tamou to give us winning performances, I am hoping he can show our young fellows how to go about it, it is what I had hoped from Packer.

I think we have the talent just not the experience.

Tigers Tale

Juniors
Hmm, not sure about this, the new commissioner is a forthright man. Someone will pay for this, probably Sam.

True. The NRL will have to investigate this to its full extent now. I think the police may have already done their bit so now it is in the media. I believe Burgess wife is good friends with one of the reporters.

The problems are not with the NRL or Fox, it is solely Sam Burgess and Souths. It seems to me it is his former wife and her family taking him on over his behaviour PLUS how Souths condone his behaviour. She (and her family) will no doubt have plenty of evidence to support her complaints. Whether this does lead to criminal charges I don't don't but on the balance of probabilities Burgess and Souths will be dragged through the mud (possibly deserved) and his career in Australia will become untenable. Outcome achieved.

I could be wrong though.....

macnaz

Staff member
Seems the police , souths officials including Crow and the NRL headed by Greenberg all must have known something about it but for some reason its remained dormant for this long. Its easy to see why in this case it may have taken a media release to bring it out in the open . Massive story if true and in my opinion out strips every salary cap breach combined.
Ps.. please read the full story above or view it online , the mainstream media version is just a snippet of a 20 or so minute read.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Seems the police , souths officials including Crow and the NRL headed by Greenberg all must have known something about it but for some reason its remained dormant for this long. Its easy to see why in this case it may have taken a media release to bring it out in the open . Massive story if true and in my opinion out strips every salary cap breach combined.
Ps.. please read the full story above or view it online , the mainstream media version is just a snippet of a 20 or so minute read.

Totally agree.

BrotherJim05

Bench

Tamou's value will be defined by how much our young forwards lift

rex2ce

Juniors
Apparently the full story is in the Australian, so I can't get it. It is journalists writing it, so may be true or not, but it sounds explosive. BOOM

https://www.news.com.au/sport/sport...s/news-story/06e9d924dae35a5ac030393fa343da35

NRL, South Sydney must respond to bombshell Sam Burgess allegations

The NRL and South Sydney have been rocked by serious allegations levelled at former Rabbitohs star Sam Burgess on the eve of the finals series.

After a four-month investigation into various off-field matters, The Australian newspaper published an exclusive report on Thursday night.

It includes claims that South Sydney officials went to great lengths to prevent the public exposure of the raucous post-season celebrations of the English-born star late in his career.

Burgess’ lawyer Mark O’Brien last night issued a stern rebuttal of claims in the newspaper directed at his client.

“The allegations are false and constitute an indefensible defamation against my client,” Mr O’Brien told the newspaper.

“It is apparent sources of the false allegations are those currently in dispute with my client over various issues.”

But the rugby league community is demanding answers.

“Souths and Sam Burgess have serious questions to answer today,” veteran rugby league reporter Danny Weidler said. “These details demand that Burgess and other officials be stood down whilst investigated.”

English rugby league star Burgess joined South Sydney in 2010 and quickly became one of the game’s premier forwards and was instrumental in the Rabbitohs’ 2014 premiership success, winning the Clive Churchill Medal as the best player in the grand final.

He left the sport for rugby union in 2015 and was part of England’s disastrous World Cup campaign before returning to rugby league in 2016.

Named one of the best players of the 2010-2019 decade, Burgess battled shoulder injuries late in his career before he was medically retired at the end of the 2019 season.

It saw increased scrutiny of his private life including a messy break up with now estranged wife Phoebe. The pair separated in 2018 but reconciled in early 2019 before finally splitting in October 2019.

After the split, Burgess was hit with an apprehended violence order after an alleged dispute in Bowral with Phoebe’s father Mitchell Hooke.

Burgess has pleaded not guilty and denied any wrongdoing.

His lawyer Bryan Wrench told court in November 2019 they were “false allegations” but the AVO was upheld with the case set to be heard in this November.

As little as two weeks ago, Burgess, who has taken on a role as development coach
with the Rabbitohs under the tutelage of Souths coach Wayne Bennett, was being linked a potential return to the NRL.

The South Sydney Rabbitohs have been contacted for comment.
The full story is on “The Warren”