What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 - Squad, Signings, Re-signings

Gareth67

First Grade
I’d love to see him excel but for some reason I feel Hook won’t take to him. Old school coaches won’t stand for dropped balls or lazy efforts. Let’s just hope that he comes into the pre season with a totally open mind, watches how they train and may the best men win.

I believe that Griffin realizes that the man does have the potential to become a better player than he was . One aspect of Ravs game that I would improve upon is his handling . In the off season I would be ensuring that he has sessions where he constantly passing and receiving the ball , as well as taking kicks , this I would do at every training session .

I certainly do not expect the man to become fullback material , however it would greatly improve his handling ability and as a result would give the man greater confidence when receiving the ball in difficult situations .

I also believe that Griffin will chose Ravawala over Perriera , not that I have anything against Jordan , I just think that Ravawala has that tiny bit of Teddy Goodwin in him - great one day and all thumbs the next , but still a threat with the ball .

Last edited:

TruSaint

Referee
3 months ago I would have said no , but has improved how much more ? Don't know but worth a shot .....

Agree that a few months back i thought he was a liability. Over time he has shown a better knowledge of the game, even though he makes poor reads at times. That is "fixable" IMHO.
Power and size is what we lack bro.

I believe that Griffin realizes that the man does have the potential to become a better player than he was . One aspect of Ravs game that I would improve upon is his handling . In the off season I would be ensuring that he has sessions where he constantly passing and receiving the ball , as well as taking kicks , this I would do at every training session .

I certainly do not expect the man to become fullback material , however it would greatly improve his handling ability and as a result would give the man greater confidence when receiving the ball in difficult situations .

I also believe that Griffin will chose Ravawala over Perriera , not that I have anything against him , I just think that Ravawala has that tiny bit of Teddy Goodwin in him - great one day and all thumbs the next .

JP is a workhorse, and I like him. I still, like you, think Rava is a better option. look at our back 3. Ramsey is a speedster but lacking in kick returns, Dufty similar mould, JP punches above his weight but will rarely be a threat.

All the top sides have a back 3 that make easy work of coming out of their line.

Last edited:

RedVDave

First Grade
JP would be a fantastic winger if he more speed that's the only thing lacking in his game, I think he'd be better suited to centre but with many great talents coming through and the fact he's on the wrong side of his 20's he's best suited to a back up role only. Fegai twins, Ramsay are the future.

1) Dufty
2) Fengai
3) Fengai
4) Lomax
5) Ramsay

An inexperienced backline yes but one that could be for a very long time potentially.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Interesting how the Dragons world has changed since the departure of McGregor (and Young) and now with the appointments of our new coaching regime we are playing positional chess, moving players here and there. Some I feel are 'just to fit them in' eg: Rava is now seen as a back rower, even thoufh he's (probably) never played there before. Same as my thinking about JP in moving him to a lock forward. In the end it doesn't make sense, unless they can orove themselves consistantly over a season ie: a rare trip maybe to 1st grade in case of an emergency.

We do need to around 6-7 new players to add to our roster, until recruitement is complete, we know for certain about JDB andxwe know the make up of our juniors, we are just playing chess.

Hook & Co havent hit the ground yet, so lets wait to see what transpires from then.

ALSGI

Bench
Interesting how the Dragons world has changed since the departure of McGregor (and Young) and now with the appointments of our new coaching regime we are playing positional chess, moving players here and there. Some I feel are 'just to fit them in' eg: Rava is now seen as a back rower, even thoufh he's (probably) never played there before. Same as my thinking about JP in moving him to a lock forward. In the end it doesn't make sense, unless they can orove themselves consistantly over a season ie: a rare trip maybe to 1st grade in case of an emergency.

We do need to around 6-7 new players to add to our roster, until recruitement is complete, we know for certain about JDB andxwe know the make up of our juniors, we are just playing chess.

Hook & Co havent hit the ground yet, so lets wait to see what transpires from then.
Yep forum chess at it’s best but interesting seeing people’s opinions and observations.

Rava at back rower still sounds good to me as others have said with an off season training for it.

Ben Creagh started on the wing and was rocks and diamonds there before moving to 12 and then being a Kangaroo, Blues Rep and club Captain as a back rower.

RedVDave

First Grade
Yep forum chess at it’s best but interesting seeing people’s opinions and observations.

Rava at back rower still sounds good to me as others have said with an off season training for it.

Ben Creagh started on the wing and was rocks and diamonds there before moving to 12 and then being a Kangaroo, Blues Rep and club Captain as a back rower.

Beau Scott also comes to mind turn into an awesome second rower.
I thought Aitken would have been okay in that role to but we won't ever know now.

Sloth

Juniors
I still think Ravalawa is the first choice winger next year, leaps and bounds above the rest. JP is the one that makes way for either a Fegai or Ramsay most likely after a few rounds. Don’t be surprised by the end of 2021 that Ramsay is our fullback and Dufty gone or in lower grade.
I don’t expect Max Fegai to start in first grade, he will find himself there throughout the year however. I expect a signing for the backs over the off season, there will be some good ones available despite contracts.

Dragon David

First Grade

Here here Dragonslayer!

Inisai Toga

Juniors
I still think Ravalawa is the first choice winger next year, leaps and bounds above the rest. JP is the one that makes way for either a Fegai or Ramsay most likely after a few rounds. Don’t be surprised by the end of 2021 that Ramsay is our fullback and Dufty gone or in lower grade.
I don’t expect Max Fegai to start in first grade, he will find himself there throughout the year however. I expect a signing for the backs over the off season, there will be some good ones available despite contracts.
I agree with your thoughts on Rava; need his power to get out of our territory. The more I think of it though, I can’t see Dufty going anywhere. I’d also like a more all rounder type fullback, but the reality is that whilst he’s attacking play continues to be so dominant, we win football games, and if we’re winning games than the lesser the chance of him getting dropped or Griffin being experimental (barring injury) with Ramsay.

Last edited:

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade

Yeah obviously we are all bored awaiting some solid news on signings etc so we all are mentally shifting the squad around a bit. It’s all good fun and all we really have at the moment. Good point about Creagh. Boyd was also a winger that took a while to adapt to fullback but Bennett showed faith and the following year won the Churchill. Lockyer moved to 5/8, Chris Lawrence moved from centre to the forwards. It happens all the time. So it’s not as out there as some in here may think it just takes a coach with patience and that was not Mary. Lomax and Mann got one game.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Please don't get to excited with young wingers think they need a little more experience and Ramsey a bit more beef. Interested how the young blokes look after a strong pre season.
Ramsey does need a bit more beef no doubt but in an off season or two if he can throw on a few kegs I reckon he will be a gun player for us and a bit of character in the team.

possm

Coach
JP would be a fantastic winger if he more speed that's the only thing lacking in his game, I think he'd be better suited to centre but with many great talents coming through and the fact he's on the wrong side of his 20's he's best suited to a back up role only. Fegai twins, Ramsay are the future.

1) Dufty
2) Fengai
3) Fengai
4) Lomax
5) Ramsay

An inexperienced backline yes but one that could be for a very long time potentially.
In mid 2021, I tip Ramsey will go to fullback with Schiller coming onto the his wing. I'd day that Ravalawa and Pereira will be backup wingers in 2021 and in early 2021, Schiller will be our fullback in Canterbuy Cup.

Dufty's future lies at 6 and so I hope his defence will improve during the off-season. The team would benefit greatly if Norman and Hunt were moved on and out halves comprise of Dufty 6 and Sullivan 7. We need all the salary cap we can get in order to bolster our forward stocks.

possm

Coach
How slick are Panthers halves thats what I want.
Young, speedy, elusive, smart and well coached. At the Dragons we would need a complete change and possibly 12 months to get there.

I place my faith in two inexperienced halves that have most of the skills required but lack the necessary coaching. The Dragons should place their faith in a Sullivan / Dufty halves combination.

So just off-load Norman and Hunt who are a lost cause and a big drain on our salary cap.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I mentioned earlier about targeting Angus Crichton. Last night reinforced that even more. He’s free to talk in November. We should at least force the Roosters to up or lengthen their deal if they want to keep him. He’s the best second rower available by far. I’d offer him a 3 year deal and see if we can get him early with Saab and a bit of cash their way.

Spazer

Juniors
I also believe that Griffin will chose Ravawala over Perriera , not that I have anything against Jordan , I just think that Ravawala has that tiny bit of Teddy Goodwin in him - great one day and all thumbs the next , but still a threat with the ball .

IIRC, from rounds 9 - 16 Rav didn't make a single handling error, so he is able to get those errors out of his game he just needs another off season to fine tune some things.

Having him and Feagai on the same side is certainly an option as he has played on the left wing a few times already, and I feel like Ramsey would benefit outside Lomax more with his speed.