What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Each Club's Fanbase Size

gregstar

Referee
Jowls was still coaching us in June '20 hence the sh*thouse figure.

I'd suggest that the moment he was rissoled, 1 million supporters would have immediately returned.
This poll should have been done then.

It says they surveyed 50,000 people, no details on methodology other than that. I very much suspect answering the question “what nrl team do you support?” gives these results with no criteria for what support means. Probably best to drop it in the low validity unreliable non published Research bin lol.

I’m sure in past surveys I’ve come across they have follow-up questions like; how many games do you (or a likely to) attend this year? 1-3/4-6 times etc. So yeh, most likely dodgy methodology.

greenBV4

Bench
Does anyone actually think the NRL even looks at the results of these?
whether they are dodgy/exaggerated or not (they are) they come from a legit market research company and thus im sure clubs would be using the figures to help secure sponsors etc.

RedVDave

First Grade
A big difference between clicking follow on Facebook and actually being a fan. I'd bet ask those in this survey to name 5 players and most will struggle

Really good point not to mention much of the same people have 4 or 5 likes on different teams.

wazdog

Juniors
whether they are dodgy/exaggerated or not (they are) they come from a legit market research company and thus im sure clubs would be using the figures to help secure sponsors etc.

Exactly, Roy Morgan is widely used in the corporate world so advertisers, prospective and current club sponsors and the clubs themselves would use the findings of the report.

When you purchase the report you actually get the underlying detail for each of the individual responses for people surveyed so its pretty insightful data in the hands of marketers.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Nonsense list. Cowboys are not that big. And quality matters more than quanitity. Victorians who pay attention to the Storm come finals time aren't worth the same as those riding the highs and lows week in and week out. The Storm and Cowboy are mid pack, not near the top.

As for the Sydney teams, there is a well known clear two tier dynamic between the big clubs and the small clubs.

Big Sydney clubs: Souths, Eels, Dragons, Dogs, Tigers.
Small Sydney clubs: Easts, Sharks, Panthers, Sea Eagles.

greenBV4

Bench
Nonsense list. Cowboys are not that big. And quality matters more than quanitity. Victorians who pay attention to the Storm come finals time aren't worth the same as those riding the highs and lows week in and week out. The Storm and Cowboy are mid pack, not near the top.

As for the Sydney teams, there is a well known clear two tier dynamic between the big clubs and the small clubs.

I seem to recall Melbourne being the second most watched team on pay TV? Up there on FTV, and in the top 3 or 4 for both crowds and memberships

Now 900k is ridiculous, but I wouldn't say mid pack

beave

Coach

Disagree about NQ.

We are that big.