What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Footy Clubs Crisis

LeagueXIII

First Grade
From SMH 1983:

"They have less money to give to their footballers who, in turn, are attracting fewer spectators.

Some of the clubs and some of the teams may not survive the end of the recession."

The article went on to say the game would basically become part time. Naming clubs who were doomed, one being Souths.

Fast forward nearly 40 years Souths are doing very well, even Cronulla one of the smaller clubs has set itself up financially for the future.

Clubs did survive.

Shows all the doom and gloom in the media is just hot air. Clubs can adjust to their circumstances and ride the rough patches.

Perth Red

Post Whore
From SMH 1983:

"They have less money to give to their footballers who, in turn, are attracting fewer spectators.

Some of the clubs and some of the teams may not survive the end of the recession."

The article went on to say the game would basically become part time. Naming clubs who were doomed, one being Souths.

Fast forward nearly 40 years Souths are doing very well, even Cronulla one of the smaller clubs has set itself up financially for the future.

Clubs did survive.

Shows all the doom and gloom in the media is just hot air. Clubs can adjust to their circumstances and ride the rough patches.

They've been predicting the death of RL for over 100 years lol.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
They've been predicting the death of RL for over 100 years lol.

I have seen an article from the 1930's saying the game would die.

I have never read of any other sport that has had it's imminent death written about so often.

You may recall there was a famous article written in England 20 odd years ago by Frank Keating, I think his name was, about the games oncoming death. He received a barrage of complaints from RL people he eventually apologised.

Latest posts