What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 - Squad, Signings, Re-signings

Dragonsteve2

Juniors
Rather than pay massive overs, we should play a mix of the kids and the remaining roster.

Dufty/Ramsey
Rava
Lomax
Fegai
Pereira/Fegai/Ramsey
Sullivan/Norman
Hunt/Clune
Lawrie/Kerr
McInnes
Vaughan/ Blacker
T.Sims/K.Sims
Fuimono/Ford
Merrin/Ellis

The pack needs strengthening but not at the expenses paying overs.

Welch/Maguire/Asiata/Ofengaue or a number of the Roosters/Panthers/Storm bench forwards.

I have assumed JDB isn’t available and Saab leaves.

Saints Forever,
What I like about what you have done here is put together a team, with a number of subs for injuries, from what we currently have available rather than making up some case for some highly desirable but very unlikely additions. I have no doubt that with a qualified coach this team will bring better results than the 2020 roster which suffered from an unqualified and delusional coach, preoccupied with his own future. Hopefully signings to bring the squad up to 29/30 will include a few who can add some strength to the team you have listed.

Craig93

Juniors
We should be going for Corey Allen from the Rabbitohs. He is currently filling in for the injured Latrell Mitchell and when he comes back, Allen will be in the reserves. I don't know where he is at with his current contract at Souths though.
I do like Allen wither as a fullback or left centre. I think he signed up with Souths for atleast next year but. Im sure they would rather let Roberts leave and keep Allen as backup.

Dragon David

First Grade
I do like Allen wither as a fullback or left centre. I think he signed up with Souths for atleast next year but. Im sure they would rather let Roberts leave and keep Allen as backup.
I think that would be the go as you say Craig93. Allen was brought down from the Broncs and so was Roberts by Bennett. Now that there are injury and possibly other personal issues with Roberts, Allen would be preferred and will probably be retained by the Bunnies and Roberts let go.

I guess in the circumstances we play what we have with several candidates in Dufty, Ramsey, Schiller etc at fullback. We need quality forwards and our backs seem to be ok.

I am sure that the head hunters at the Dragons are in the process of negotiating with a few guys and they will announce them in due course.

Mjab

Juniors
I agree with your thoughts on Rava; need his power to get out of our territory. The more I think of it though, I can’t see Dufty going anywhere. I’d also like a more all rounder type fullback, but the reality is that whilst he’s attacking play continues to be so dominant, we win football games, and if we’re winning games than the lesser the chance of him getting dropped or Griffin being experimental (barring injury) with Ramsay.
I’m hoping hook or someone else can fix duftys deficiencies
Flanagan did apparently help him and he probably just needs some good coaching

I hope

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I'd be very surprised if Dufty wasn't our fullback at least for the opening quarter if season 2021.

The other great debate is who will be our wingers and left centre. I believe these positions are very open atm. Ramsey, has done enough to warrant being the incumbent right winger imo.
However, this may come down to pre-season training and trial games.

Positions 6 - 13 (actually add 14 - 17 as well) seem to be hanging on what happens with JDB. This one event has such a flow on effect for more than 2/3's of the make-up of our team.

I'm Hornby

Juniors
Going back over the off contract/released players I noticed Peni Terepo the eels front rower is on there.

He is a decent ball runner and would be worth a go to bolster our lack of front rowers.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Same. Flanno turned him into a weapon in attack, so I hope Griffin can improve his positioning instead of just dropping him completely. A player with 13 tries and assists is worth persisting with.

Dufty has always been a great attacking weapon- he played in the halves as a junior and so the passing game was always there- where he needed help from Flanno (and still needs it) is confidence in going for the high ball, positional play, strength to resist the "rag doll", communication with his defensive line, and- critically- defensive technique.

i remember reading about the great full back Clive Churchill who was no bigger than Dufty. Part of what made him such a great player was his reading of play in defence. For example, he understood that when a big player made a break and was bearing down on him, he was at a disadvantage just standing there waiting to be crunched. Where possible, he would rapidly close the distance between himself and the attacking player so that the attacking player's footwork was disrupted, thereby making him an easier target.

The old saying is that defence is all about attitude- but it's also about technique- and that comes naturally to some (Jake T) and not others.

I've given up on Dufty at FB because he causes more problems than he solves. Att 5/8 he can get some help from his forwards with his defensive responsibilities. I'm on board the JAC train for full-back if we can manage to give the Storm say Saab and some cash.

I'm Hornby

Juniors
Dufty has always been a great attacking weapon- he played in the halves as a junior and so the passing game was always there- where he needed help from Flanno (and still needs it) is confidence in going for the high ball, positional play, strength to resist the "rag doll", communication with his defensive line, and- critically- defensive technique.

i remember reading about the great full back Clive Churchill who was no bigger than Dufty. Part of what made him such a great player was his reading of play in defence. For example, he understood that when a big player made a break and was bearing down on him, he was at a disadvantage just standing there waiting to be crunched. Where possible, he would rapidly close the distance between himself and the attacking player so that the attacking player's footwork was disrupted, thereby making him an easier target.

The old saying is that defence is all about attitude- but it's also about technique- and that comes naturally to some (Jake T) and not others.

I've given up on Dufty at FB because he causes more problems than he solves. Att 5/8 he can get some help from his forwards with his defensive responsibilities. I'm on board the JAC train for full-back if we can manage to give the Storm say Saab and some cash.

Agreed completely. I guess the question is does Dufty deserve the first crack at fullback next year or do we just concede he has too many defensive deficienices?

I don't want to see him in the halves, I think if he can't improve at fullback we should shop him around.

Inisai Toga

Juniors

My old man tells me exactly the same thing ad nauseum on what you highlight above; that Churchill would take them on and drive them back through great technique and guts.

Also agree with your thoughts on Dufty’s defensive liability; he’s got plenty of friends too; Pongas defence is bog average, Allan missed one on Newcastle that was really poor, some of them just give up close to the line. It’s hard to watch after being used to Changa and Wombat Eadie and their marvellous defensive talents.

Jack Wighton and Munster’s defence at five eighth on the weekend was unreal at times and changed the momentum with some wonderful tackles. For the life of me, I just can’t see Dufty ever doing that and I don’t believe the new rules allow you to cary a bad defender in the front line with a defensive ‘minder’ particularly at five eighth.
Then again I’ve got along history of being wrong!

Last edited:

True_Believer

Juniors
Jack Wighton and Munster’s defence at five eighth on the weekend was unreal at times and changed the momentum with some wonderful tackles. For the life of me, I just can’t see Dufty ever doing that and I don’t believe the new rules allow you to cary a bad defender in the front line with a defensive ‘minder’ particularly at five eighth.
Then again I’ve got along history of being wrong!

I tend to agree. Defensively we can't afford to carry him in the front line. Wighton and Munster are bigger bodies but they defend well.

Also, Dufty doesn't like to take the line on. I just wish he'd hit a bit of speed bringing the ball back but he canters into the defence nearly every time and submits far too often. I don't think we can afford to spend the time to convert him to a half when we have some quality there already.

I like how Sullivan and Clune are willing to take the line on. Players like Cronk, Thurston and Keary all had/have no self preservation. That's one element that made them good in the modern game. Ability to ready the defence, control the game, guide their team across the park, and take on the line without fear. Our 2 at least seem to be off on the right foot. Long way to go though and we've seen very little of Sullivan. Looks promising though.

Spazer

Juniors

Good post about Churchill, unfortunately I never got to see him play but it sounds like he was a very competent defender which we desperately need from Duff.

I'm curious what you see in JAC at fullback? If I remember correctly he and Vunivalu had terrible defensive misreads leaking in over half of Melbourne's conceded tries in 2018 I think it was? I could be wrong, though, and he has most likely improved since then but it's not a huge upgrade over dufty in my opinion.

Anyway, I have a feeling Griffin will go with Ramsey in the end, as he is/will be more of a complete player, but we will have to wait and see.

Latest posts