What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Week 2 finals Eels v Souths at Bankwest (and team list)

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Unfortunately thats what we and everyone probably expects.
We're paying $2.60 with Sportsbet, so no, we are still underdogs. And rightly so.
We need to show improvement to have a positive result for the season. A win and progression into week three is non negotiable. Should we limp out next week it could significantly derail season 2021.
How does the result of a single finals match where we are underdogs derail the following season? We've had a good year and some of our key players will be better for the experience.

Agree but will Arthur and co construct a game plan to shut him down? Or will game plan run hard, tackle hard be the order of the day
That's my concern. You can say well well it's just press conference stuff and that's meaningless but OTOH are we seeing evidence of that? Such as targeted game plans specific to teams? Or anything really to support the argument that it's not just about effort? I dunno. I'm happy to be where we are and I reckon we went OK yesterday and I'm still hopeful about next week.

Gazzamatta

Coach
We're paying $2.60 with Sportsbet, so no, we are still underdogs. And rightly so.

How does the result of a single finals match where we are underdogs derail the following season? We've had a good year and some of our key players will be better for the experience.
No doubt we will be underdogs next week which is probably a good thing.
Re point 2, thats exactly what we'd hope for and fans would expect. No argument. With a very similar roster, both players and coaching, it would be a massive step forward of our mental maturity next year if we havent gone at least one game better this year than last. Like you im hoping for the best.
Regardless lets smash the fu*k out of those Red & Greeners next week then the whole discussion is mute.

Avenger

Immortal
Big call based on having no inside knowledge of how any of the coaches work.
I've been watching the game since 1977, seen plenty come and go but one coach that instantly springs to mind is Brian Smith. By all reports from players and other coaches the most methodical tactician ever. He used to exploit the opposition weaknesses and dismantle them with players that stuck to the plan and not necessarily with superstars. It's a modern day tragedy that he never won a comp but getting to 4 grand finals still is a massive achievement.

Arthur is all about effort and completions. Sadly he doesn't get it and appears to have a football brain (at least to me) that is average at best. All year we have had problems on our left edge ( a well-documented fact by all) and everytime the opposition attacks there I panic. What has he done to rectify it? Nothing. Sweet f**k all. The same players get picked again and again. He is very similar to Paul McGregor and like him, I think he will be sacked prematurely.

hindy111

Post Whore
Souths if get going can put on points.

In last 8 games They put
31 against cowboys,
56 vs Manly
60 VS Roosters,
38 against us
40 against Newcastle

Dogs and Storm held them to 16 and Tigers held them to 26.

Last 2 games they have been fantastic but the two prior very shaky. They are beatable and in my eyes inconsistent.

I reckon they'll push it against us and go wide. Could be their undoing if they over do it.

What they like is a fast game. We need to get them playing in the middle. Our forwards will have to much nut. We made very easy ground last time and funnily more PCM with far less possesion.

Also Latrel played a big role in that game and Sivo was exposed badly.

Niakuore is a miss but easily covered. Stone,Kafusi or Alvaro can do the job. Even Gower if need be.

What happens on wing will be interesting. George will be one winger. Question is who is other. Id be tempted to put Taka straight on wing. He can do a job.

hindy111

Post Whore
BA is not the greatest but not terrible. I think he likes a tough big side that is aggressive. We have that. It works. But we lack the speed.

Fergo and MJ used to be fast. Perhaps BA didn't expect them to slow down so quickly......

Sivo was only purchased as a back up. His form was to good to drop.

I was excited when was signed Blake. He had potential to be best centre in game. Just lacks heart and desire. This needs to be unlocked. I reckon it is why Panthers flicked him. Kind of gave up trying.

I've been watching the game since 1977, seen plenty come and go but one coach that instantly springs to mind is Brian Smith. By all reports from players and other coaches the most methodical tactician ever. He used to exploit the opposition weaknesses and dismantle them with players that stuck to the plan and not necessarily with superstars. It's a modern day tragedy that he never won a comp but getting to 4 grand finals still is a massive achievement.

Arthur is all about effort and completions. Sadly he doesn't get it and appears to have a football brain (at least to me) that is average at best. All year we have had problems on our left edge ( a well-documented fact by all) and everytime the opposition attacks there I panic. What has he done to rectify it? Nothing. Sweet f**k all. The same players get picked again and again. He is very similar to Paul McGregor and like him, I think he will be sacked prematurely.

but but but it’s a “easy fix”

Soto

Bench
Souths if get going can put on points.

In last 8 games They put
31 against cowboys,
56 vs Manly
60 VS Roosters,
38 against us
40 against Newcastle

Dogs and Storm held them to 16 and Tigers held them to 26.

Last 2 games they have been fantastic but the two prior very shaky. They are beatable and in my eyes inconsistent.

I reckon they'll push it against us and go wide. Could be their undoing if they over do it.

What they like is a fast game. We need to get them playing in the middle. Our forwards will have to much nut. We made very easy ground last time and funnily more PCM with far less possesion.

Also Latrel played a big role in that game and Sivo was exposed badly.

Niakuore is a miss but easily covered. Stone,Kafusi or Alvaro can do the job. Even Gower if need be.

What happens on wing will be interesting. George will be one winger. Question is who is other. Id be tempted to put Taka straight on wing. He can do a job.
Nice post. I would actually move Waqa to wing and Taka to centre. For mine Kaufusi in for Nuikore.
Would also like to see us kick into touch more. Slow the game down..i think we need pepper and expose Jaxson Paulo..
Absolutely agree with @Avenger about Brian Smith. Tactically very very good. Was able to dissect the opposition with sometimes average teams/ players..Just couldn't produce on the big day.
Met him outside Parra Leagues a few nights before the 01 GF and spent 10 mins talking to me and 3 mates about Parra, Rugby League etc..absolute gentleman and student of the game.
Would be a great mentor for coaches. Just dont ask for advice on GF week

Hindmarshisgod2

Juniors
Big call based on having no inside knowledge of how any of the coaches work.
I don't need inside knowledge to know that BA is a shit coach.

All you have to see is how clueless the team looks in attack and defence to realise this.

If he had shit players I would never blame him, but he has a top roster that should be executing way better. Its on him.

Soto

Bench

If and i don't want to be controversial but if we get towelled up and exposed again down our right side does the club have a courageous conversation with BA and say this has gone on far too long without being rectified...time to go.
Before anyone gets too emotional we need to remember the right side defensive issues and to a lesser extent the left has been happening for quite a few years...i like BA. I just don't think he can take us to a premiership or compete against the likes of Bellamy, Robinson or Bennett. Boy i fkn hope I'm wrong though...

Latest posts