What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

You go girls

SBD82

Coach
Yuk. Yuk.

After the season that our men’s team had I was really looking forward to watching the women put some pride back into the jersey.

If NSW shit the bed this year there will be zero joy in rugby league in 2020.

SBD82

Coach
Just like the Men’s team. Our halves were very ordinary. Not much time to turn it around in a 4 week comp.

Also lots of pressure to make the finals from here. Can’t lose a game if we want to win the comp.

BLM01

First Grade
Agree..one out footy and losing the middle in attack and defense
The only difference between the womens and mens St george Ill side ATM is that the womens are littered with a lot of good players...just not playing as a team and too much trying to do it on their own. They mimic Maryism's in attack it is not funny.
Mind you Roosters were about $5.75 to win and showed they have got a pretty good side and depth on the bench and forwards that hit hard.
The Dragons need to put their no 6 back to the wing or bench (put Bremmer to 6) and find a quicker No 9 in all dept's and another 1.
The should not of let that No 1 they had last year go back to the Roosters. We were lucky she got injured early...would of been more of a carve up

gitano

Juniors
What's the games played vs grand final ratio in women's rugby league?

It feels like every time I catch a glimpse of it, there is a grand final on. Then the same players in a different jersey in another grand final a week later. Then NRLW for a week or 2, followed by another grand final and an origin decider.

getsmarty

Immortal
nrlw-rd02_preview_dragons-v-broncos.jpg

MATCH PREVIEW

NRL.com NRLW preview: Round 2 v Broncos
Author
NRL.com
Timestamp
Mon 5 Oct 2020, 03:01 PM

This is more than just a rematch of the 2019 grand final, the Dragons are effectively playing for their season in Saturday's match at Bankwest Stadium.

After suffering a 18-4 loss to the Roosters in their opening-round fixture St George Illawarra need a win to keep their chances alive.

Brisbane, on the other hand, look the goods once again. After a slowish start they took care of business against the Warriors to show they remain the team to beat.

The battle between rival No.7s Maddie Studdon and Ali Brigginshaw is one worth watching.

Match: Dragons v Broncos

Round 2 - Saturday 10th October

4:00pm

Home Team

Dragons

4th Position

Away Team

Broncos

2nd Position

Venue: Bankwest Stadium, Sydney

Match broadcasters:

• Nine Network
  • Kayo
  • Foxtel
Buy Tickets
The rundown
Team news
Dragons: There are concerns for star centre Jess Sergis and halfback Maddie Studdon, who suffered ankle injuries in round one, as well as five-eighth Shakiah Tungai (shoulder). Co-captain Kezie Apps copped a head knock and the back-rower must pass HIA protocols.

Broncos: All clear of injuries. Five-eighth Raecene McGregor was stretchered off with a neck issue against the Warriors but thankfully is OK.

Key match-up
Steph Hancock v Millie Boyle: The former teammates will go head-to-head. Hancock made 29 tackles and ran for 73 metres in round one while Boyle ran for 89 metres and made 21 tackles. Both sets of backs will be hoping their front-rowers can set them up to turn field position into points.
Stat attack
Tamika Upton's hat-trick against the Warriors was the just the second in the history of the competition. The first woman to achieve that feat was Kimiroa Nati in the 2018 grand final.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2020/10/05/nrl.com-nrlw-preview-round-2-v-broncos/

getsmarty

Immortal
201003046kc.jpg

WOMEN'S RUGBY LEAGUE

Play it again, Sam: After 755-day wait, Bremner aims to atone for loss
Author
Alicia Newton NRLW Chief Reporter
Timestamp
Tue 6 Oct 2020, 11:51 AM
newtonalicia-head.png

Dragons fullback Sam Bremner joked she needed to check every body part was still intact after her first NRLW game in 755 days, such is the rollercoaster journey she has ridden in recent years.

While St George Illawarra had an injury toll nearly as big as their margin of defeat against the Roosters at GIO Stadium on Saturday, Bremner wasn't on the list – which was a mini victory in itself.

The 28-year-old hadn't been sighted in the Telstra Women's Premiership since 2018 after being sidelined with a fractured toe during the inaugural season and giving birth to her son Reef last year.

After returning to the game in the NRL Nines in February, the 18-4 loss on Saturday was just the second NRLW game of her career.

"I actually didn't know what to do after the game," Bremner told NRL.com.

remote.axd

Match Highlights: Roosters v Dragons

Match Highlights: Roosters v Dragons

"It felt weird getting through a game, I had to actually say to my husband is this what it feels like to finish uninjured, what next now?

"I think people assume I've played a lot of NRLW because I've been around and I haven't been completely missing but I still feel like a rookie.

"It was a little bizarre because we lost but I'd been waiting for the moment for two years. Obviously, a lot of work to do with the team but nice to finish the game healthy and prepare for next week."

Bremner said she noticed a distinct difference in competitiveness across the paddock in her return to the field with the addition of several rugby converts and rising talent coming through the ranks.

nrlw20_draw_1080x1350.jpg

Among the competitors who are likely to challenge Bremner for future representative No.1 jerseys include Broncos fullback Tamika Upton, Roosters flyer Botille Vette-Welsh and utility Corban McGregor.

"Certainly from just being out of the game and coming back in the competitiveness has ramped up," she said.

"There's no such thing as me putting my feet up when I was out of the game because of the young girls coming in or from different codes.

"It presents an opportunity for everyone now so you can't relax, you need to try and be better than your opposition on everything.

"I think that's why we're starting to get good, consistent, rugby league players because there's so much pressure around and you've got to thrive on it or you don't make it."

The Dragons remain hopeful key quartet Kezie Apps (head knock), Jessica Sergis (ankle), Maddie Studdon (ankle) and Shakiah Tungai (shoulder) will be available for the must-win grand final rematch with the Broncos on Saturday.

However, another loss will put the heavily-fancied side under immense pressure to reach the 2020 decider in a fortnight with points differential expected to come into play.

remote.axd

Sign up for a free NRL Account to access this video and other exclusive content.

"Unfortunately, it's just something we've done in the past and even in the Nines, we come out a little frantic and I think we know the potential so well that we try to overplay our hand a little bit," Bremner said.

"We just need to practise our patience. It's a 60-minute game and we need to build to the end instead of worrying about scoring tries every play.

"The girls were in this exact position last year where it turned into sudden-death footy and we got it done so we're confident of doing the same.

"I know we can get better."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/202...-755-day-wait-bremner-aims-to-atone-for-loss/

getsmarty

Immortal
remote.axd

NRLW preview: Round 2 v Broncos

TEAM LISTS

Updated
Presented By

24-hour warning: NRLW Round 2 v Broncos
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Fri 9 Oct 2020, 12:00 PM

St George Illawarra NRL Telstra Women's Premiership coach Daniel Lacey has trimmed his squad to 19 ahead of the Dragons' Round 2 clash against the Brisbane Broncos at Bankwest Stadium on Saturday, October 10 (4pm).

The Dragons have named the exact same squad as last week, other than the inclusion of Georgia Page (concussion) in the reserves at the expense of young gun Teagan Berry.

Kezie Apps (concussion), Shakiah Tungai (shoulder), Jessica Sergis and Maddie Studdon (both ankle) have all been named to play and are expected to play.

The Dragons will face the Broncos in NRLW football for the first time since the 2019 grand final, where Brisbane were big winners. Another defeat to Brisbane will bring an end to the Red V's 2020 Women's Premiership campaign.

NRL Women's Premiership squad for Round 2 v Brisbane Broncos –
1. Sam Bremner (c) – sponsored by CBC
2. Tiana Penitani – sponsored by Baytek Construction
3. Jessica Sergis – sponsored by Floormania
4. Isabelle Kelly – sponsored by Nutrition Station
5. Jaime Chapman – sponsored by Wollongong Jetski
6. Shakiah Tungai – sponsored by Kingsgrove Sports Centre
7. Maddie Studdon – sponsored by Paul's Customs and Forwarding Solutions
8. Ellie Johnston – sponsored by EFEX
9. Keeley Davis – sponsored by Dincel Construction System
10. Steph Hancock – sponsored by Fox Property
11. Kezie Apps (c) – sponsored by Modus Projects
12. Shaylee Bent – sponsored by Stonemasons & Landscapers (since 1970)
13. Elsie Albert – sponsored by SMAI

Interchange:
14. Aaliyah Fasavalu-Faamausili – sponsored by Professionals Padstow
15. Christine Pauli – sponsored by CMG Audio Visual
16. Talei Holmes – sponsored by Bodytech Fitness
17. Mahalia Murphy – sponsored by Trendline
18. Rikeya Horne
22. Georgia Page

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2020/10/09/nrlw-team-announcement-round-2-v-broncos/

possm

Coach
Our girls doing it tough today, just no luck or bounce of the ball our way. Congrats to the girls for making the final.

TheFlash

Juniors
Next week Bremner to 6, Champman to 1, Penitani to replace injured Kelly.
Girls need to learn to be switched on when defending on our line, also cant believe how many turn their backs after a tackle as the get back into the defensive line, also have to move up in defense not wait for the attacker to come to them way too much easy yardage gained by attacking team..

Latest posts