What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mitchell Pearce, what does he do well?

Knight Vision

First Grade
Roosters flick him... bang 2 Premierships.
He's impossible to defend. Not only his performances, I get that he's not the 8th immortal but his attitude sucks big time.

The drop of the head and giving up after a mistake that lead to Cook's try.

I can forgive not having a great game and making mistakes, I cant forgive not having a red hot crack.

Has there ever been a more mythical career in the history of the game? 300 games, tons of rep games, playing as part of top rosters and behind awesome forward packs, adored by the media....and has never stood up and single handedly carried his team to victory in a big game.

This bloke owes Maloney big time.

Last edited:

General Knight

Juniors
Has there ever been a more mythical career in the history of the game? 300 games, tons of rep games, playing as part if top rosters and behind awesome forward packs, adored by the media....and has never stood up and single handedly carried his team to victory in a big game.

This bloke owes Maloney big time.

Would bringing in Maloney be an option?

murraymob

Coach
Pearce cops a lot from you supporters but you need to look closer at your forward pack .It offers not much in go forward.Most runs are 1 out or a inside pass from another forward easy to defend.Fix that area and your half’s shine

aqua_duck

Coach
Pearce cops a lot from you supporters but you need to look closer at your forward pack .It offers not much in go forward.Most runs are 1 out or a inside pass from another forward easy to defend.Fix that area and your half’s shine
Go forward isn't an issue, Klemmer averaged over 170m per game and D Saifiti averaged 145m, yes there were some games the pack didn't stand up but the issue is in 3 facets which all relate to Pearce, firstly structure and attacking continuity, we're such a predictable team and coaches need to take your responsibility for that but also Pearce has never been good at playing what's in front of him, 90% of the time it's all premeditated, I mean hitting Lachy Fitzgibbon 15 times a game on a short ball fools no one, secondly kicking game, our kicking game in particular short/attacking kicks is worse than most park footy sides. Most teams use grubbers short kicks to either score tries or build pressure through repeat sets, for us it's a chance to either hand over possession very cheaply or more often than not give them a leg up with a 7 tackle set, the high kicks were also terrible, most teams put up torpedo bombs that pressure the opposition back 3, Pearce puts up nothing uncontested end over end kicks that don't even have enough height to allow chasers to contest or put the fullback/wingers under pressure, all those kicks do is hand over possession cheaply and allow the back 3 to make 20-30m off the kick return. Our kicking game was so bad at some stages that a lot of us agreed we'd be better off just just not kicking at all if we were in the opposition 20m zone. The final and perhaps biggest issue is leadership and lack thereof, there were many games where we needed a leader to stand up and on the rare occasion when it did happen it was never Pearce who stood up but there were plenty of times where Pearce went missing as a leader and captain.
Whilst Pearce isn't solely to them he's a big factor in a lot of those problem areas.

General Knight

Juniors
Lol just saw Sterlo on NRL on Nine on youtube doing a review on our season. Says Mitchell Pierce had a 'good' season. Protected species much?

aqua_duck

Coach
Lol just saw Sterlo on NRL on Nine on youtube doing a review on our season. Says Mitchell Pierce had a 'good' season. Protected species much?
The issue is no one actually watches our games closely with a focus on Pearce. If they watch our games they focus on Ponga and if he hasn't scored 3 tries and set up another 2 he's perceived to have had a poor game whilst Pearce misses 7 tackles, hits Fitzy on 10 telegraphed short balls, 10 aimless high kicks, 5 grubber kicks that go dead or straight into opposition legs and that's perceived as a good game somehow. In fact if you want to go even deeper into it I challenge people to actually pick out the games where Pearce has been amongst our best 3 players in that game. I can think of maybe 3 games at most.

Spot On

Coach

So what was the problem when he was at the Roosters?

Spot On

Coach

Yep.

Some stats say he was 'goid'.

Anyone watching our games knows that there was some 'good' and a truck load of shite.

As per usual, there is always a myriad of excuses for the shite... from a feeble pack, to no 5/8, to no focus on attack, no dummy half, no senior players, not enough experience... blah, blah, blah.

Again, what were the excuses when he left the team that has won 2 comps since he departed?

Haffa

The issue is no one actually watches our games
I really think this is the case for most people. Unless we are playing their team or are playing on a friday or a sunday we are the easy game to skip. Anyone who told me they thought we'd win last week admitted later to not watching many of our games.

aqua_duck

Coach
Yep.

Some stats say he was 'goid'.

Anyone watching our games knows that there was some 'good' and a truck load of shite.

As per usual, there is always a myriad of excuses for the shite... from a feeble pack, to no 5/8, to no focus on attack, no dummy half, no senior players, not enough experience... blah, blah, blah.

Again, what were the excuses when he left the team that has won 2 comps since he departed?
As per my original post ignore all the outside factors what strengths does he actually have? Not even talking results here but skillset, his skillset is below average pretty much across the board. If you were the scout Pearce objectively almost like a NFL draft prospect the scouting report wouldn't look pretty

Knight Vision

First Grade
At this point I have to wonder of AOB really believes this ? or is this something he felt he had to say ?

Whilsts very valid excuses it doesnt explain the season Pearce had.

https://www.newcastleknights.com.au...-support-for-skipper-half-the-battle-in-2021/

"This bloke [Pearce], that's who it hurt the most," O'Brien said. "He had a different No.9 each week, or a different No.6 and they had different skill sets so that put more pressure on him to run the team.

"That's one thing I've got to identify over the summer is our best attack and how we can get our strike players to get the ball in good positions to help Junior out."

Yosh

Coach
At this point I have to wonder of AOB really believes this ? or is this something he felt he had to say ?

Whilsts very valid excuses it doesnt explain the season Pearce had.

https://www.newcastleknights.com.au...-support-for-skipper-half-the-battle-in-2021/

"This bloke [Pearce], that's who it hurt the most," O'Brien said. "He had a different No.9 each week, or a different No.6 and they had different skill sets so that put more pressure on him to run the team.

"That's one thing I've got to identify over the summer is our best attack and how we can get our strike players to get the ball in good positions to help Junior out."

Surely you don't need a good 6 and 9 to be able to kick a grubber not into legs.

mozza91

Coach
or be able to tackle
I don’t know whether it’s a loss of confidence or he’s just past it but this was the most concerning thing about Pearce this season.

He previously was one of the best defence halves in the game and would lead the line in defence. That was pretty much non existent this season.

Jono078

Referee
I don’t know whether it’s a loss of confidence or he’s just past it but this was the most concerning thing about Pearce this season.

He previously was one of the best defence halves in the game and would lead the line in defence. That was pretty much non existent this season.
I honestly think it was all downhill after he injured himself in the Panthers game. For me he never seemed to fully recover from that.

Knight Vision

First Grade

I've heard Cronk say on a number of occasions when referring to advice for young halfbacks or ones out of form " get back to basics - get your defense right and kick the ball well and everything will come off the back of that" ......

for a guy with nearly 300 games it's hard to explain Pearce's season.

Apey

Staff member
Sterlo has a MASSIVE hard-on for Pearce. He named him in his top 5 halfbacks of the NRL era.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/peter-...halfback/a956342b-ccec-47a0-a828-9cccb0bb3d9b

STERLO'S TOP FIVE HALFBACKS OF THE NRL ERA

1. Andrew Johns

2. Johnathan Thurston

3. Cooper Cronk

4. Mitchell Pearce

5. Daly Cherry-Evans

Latest posts