What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Lodge

jeffdragon

Bench
Not that many good players on the market.
All out of form players.or injury prone.
We need some forwards though.

ALSGI

Bench
Regardless, he hasn’t been released from the Donkeys yet. Walters quoted as saying he’ll talk to him first - quiet the warning shot fired there.

Was it Bennett that gave him a go? Curious if Lodge is in fact paying off the civil proceedings debt against him.

Personally, I wouldn’t go there with Lodge or any outside player with a dubious history in future.

Dugan wasn’t bad until he became world class precious, Packer was great until he cashed out on us and I was dead against Norman for dickhead drug related issues but his deficiencies so far (as far as we know) is performance related not dickhead drug related.

That said, would I sign McGuire from Cowboys. f**k yeah!

Gareth67

First Grade
Yet another example of how people will tend to overlook ones past indiscretions if there is an advantage to be gained . His much documented incident in the Big Apple of Trumpsville was as bad as it could get . But of course the league saw fit to allow him back into the game - as the money Broncos wanted him .

There is a very big difference to both Lodge and Packers respective incidents . As muzby has pointed out - Packer has done his time for his offense and is not only a rehabilitated man , but a family man .

Lodge on the other hand ran and it was only after he was dragged kicking and screaming before he paid the compensation to his victimS - yes victims .

I am not attempting to take the moral high ground here , but merely pointing out that there must be a line drawn in the sand somewhere , otherwise our emblem of St.George and the Dragon won’t really count for much at all .

Last edited:

George Sancti

Juniors
Too slow and cumbersome for the way the game is now being played. Perhaps a consideration prior to 6 tackle restart rule. As far as his off field behaviour is concerned, I believe all people found guilty of a non-violent crime should be given a second chance, so I am probably biased against him.

Mjab

Juniors
Like Woods he is dead wood ....
Agree
Sharon was massively overrated before let alone now please don’t get either of these

we need good quality young players from good systems eg panthers storm roosters to come across and fill some gaps

not older Fkers on the way way out

Mjab

Juniors
Yet another example of how people will tend to overlook ones past indiscretions if there is an advantage to be gained . His much documented incident in the Big Apple of Trumpsville was as bad as it could get . But of course the league saw fit to allow him back into the game - as the money Broncos wanted him .

There is a very big difference to both Lodge and Packers respective incidents . As muzby has pointed out - Packer has done his time for his offense and is not only a rehabilitated man , but a family man .

Lodge on the other hand ran and it was only after he was dragged kicking and screaming before he paid the compensation to his victimS - yes victims .

I am not attempting to take the moral high ground here , but merely pointing out that there must be a line drawn in the sand somewhere , otherwise our emblem of St.George and the Dragon won’t really count for much at all .

id also prefer not to have a certain player awaiting the courts at our club either

TruSaint

Referee

Yep, It was only after the NRL got some very unwanted publicity in the US, that the they forced Lodge to enter into a repayment plan.

He never apologised to the victims, and the court ordered 1.6 million payout was " renegotiated ", as the victims received zero, until 3 plus years later.

Ruth Fowler and Joseph Cartright said they had never received an apology from Lodge and he had never attempted to begin paying back what was owed to them

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...facing-nrl-axe-if-he-does-not-pay-his-victims

Gareth67

First Grade
Yep, It was only after the NRL got some very unwanted publicity in the US, that the they forced Lodge to enter into a repayment plan.

He never apologised to the victims, and the court ordered 1.6 million payout was " renegotiated ", as the victims received zero, until 3 plus years later.

Ruth Fowler and Joseph Cartright said they had never received an apology from Lodge and he had never attempted to begin paying back what was owed to them

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...facing-nrl-axe-if-he-does-not-pay-his-victims

Yes TruSaint , I recall not only the bad publicity it gave the NRL for even considering to allow him to resume his playing career , but also the black eye he gave Australia in general.

The bloke is a down and out thug with no real football ability, only a large body with a vicious mean streak in it . The way he went after young Blake Lawrie in the 2018 semi against the Broncs was unbelievable. He decided to take out his frustrations on the young Blake rather than have a go at Leeson Au Mau , Tariq Simms , Frizell or any of the bigger boys of the Dragons pack .

One to steer well clear off imo.

Last edited:

possm

Coach
Agree
Sharon was massively overrated before let alone now please don’t get either of these

we need good quality young players from good systems eg panthers storm roosters to come across and fill some gaps

not older Fkers on the way way out
Who are the available forwards you would like to see the Dragons sign. I think everyone on here agrees that we need to harden up our forward pack.

Welch seems to be on prop that people agree on however, we tabled a low ball offer that was never going to fly. This despite the fact we have lost Graham, Frizell and maybe De Bellin with no real replacements. Graham on about 600k, Frizell on 550k and De Belin on 550k. In addition we have Aitken, Lafai, K Sims, Sailor and a few others who have left the Club.

It seems to me that we have more than enough salary cap to buy the type of forwards we need however, as usual we are late to the dance and all the pretty girls are taken.

Latest posts