What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Week 2 finals Eels v Souths at Bankwest (and team list)

Soto

Bench
Personally, my only issue with Blake on the wing, is that Waqa Blake is a lazy player, and doesn't go looking for work.

Fergo works his arse off every game, making hard runs, as does Gutho.

Sivo is lazy, and I fear that Waqa is even lazier.
Waqa has effective hitups. I like it when Waqa comes out fired up. Looks he will be taking right wing if Fergo doesn't play. In the smh also states that Taka and Jennings were rotating at right centre today...With Waqa you get decent post contact metres from him. Sivo u get zero or negative post contact metres.
We need an angry and fired up Parra to take the field on Sat night..give soufs fkn nuthin...

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I think we also need to push Jnr to his absolute limits over the next few weeks (however long we remain)
We look better when he is on the field, let him go back to playing big minutes
Junior Paulo
Final: 59 minutes (0.51 tackles per minute)
R20: 61 minutes (0.44 t/m) beat Tigers
R19: 41 minutes (0.49 t/m) beat Broncos
R18: 62 minutes (0.55 t/m) lost to Panthers
R17: 55 minutes (0.51 t/m) beat Warriors
R16: 50 minutes (0.68 t/m) smashed by Souths
R15: 47 minutes (0.28 t/m) beat Storm
R14: 48 minutes (0.67 t/m) lost to Dragons
R13: 54 minutes (0.44 t/m) beat Sharks
R12: 59 minutes (0.53 t/m) beat Bulldogs
R11: 68 minutes (0.49 t/m) beat Tigers

Interestingly, over the final half season there were four games where he played 50 minutes or less. In two of these we lost and Paulo would have been replaced due to fatigue, with a tackle-per-minute rate 30% higher than his average. The other two games where he played considerably shorter minutes we won easily and he was probably rested because we could. I was surprised to see his work rate was only slightly up against the Panthers.

lucablight

First Grade
I dunno. From my point of view BA hasn't managed the team as well as other coaches when it comes to game time. Keep whipping the same team without giving some of them a decent break is going to end badly. On the surface it feels like we've been playing our best players longer minutes over the season as a whole to make up for our dodgy bench. A week off would have been handy, but here we are.
I would agree with that. RCG and Lane were in great form at the beginning of the season but they were barely having a break. I always thought it would be difficult to keep that up for the entire season.

Lemon Squash

First Grade
Personally, my only issue with Blake on the wing, is that Waqa Blake is a lazy player, and doesn't go looking for work.

I don’t necessarily agree.. I think he takes his share of hit ups coming out of our own end and is quite strong at doing so.

Traditionally centre is a position where it does become a little difficult to get involved in the play sometimes, it’s the nature of the position on the field. You often hear centres criticised for being lazy or ‘not looking for work’ but I think sometimes it’s more just a result from the flow of the game/field position thing.

Regardless chucking him on the wing will force him to do more as he will likely be targeted with kicks etc Blake’s got plenty of flaws but we are stuck with him long term so I’m interested to see how he goes on the wing.

hindy111

Post Whore
Well Stone is a middle. More a lock then anything.
Why wouldn't he be considered in his natural position?

His role would be 15mins for N.Brown I would guess.

Davey would come on for Lane who can spend also some time in middle.

Lets say Matto plays 80mins.

That's leaves

Jnr - 55
Rcg - 55
Brown- 65
Lane - 65

That leaves 85 mins to fill

Evans = 25-30
Davey = 35- 45
Stone = 15-20

W.Smith back up for Rheed,halves,fullback

hindy111

Post Whore
Souths have a fast side and like to move the ball quickly. Maybe and this is just a guess but maybe the idea of smaller and a faster middle will help stop overlaps outwide.
Guys like Stone are more mobile.

On Marata how long is his suspension. 2 weeks?

A real shame as he does give us a bit of energy off bench. But as I said prior Stone,Kafusi,Alvaro or Gower are able to cover.

Glenneel

Bench
Evans has had lazy dumb shit in him almost every game this year. I am always shocked that he continues to get picked and even more shocked that he keeps producing the same dumb lazy efforts without repercussion.
Typical BA, he persists with Blake so what would you expect?

TheParraboy

Staff member

Agree

Felt Sivo should have been rested after the Manly game when he copped that knee hit, as it was a 5 day turn around v tigers. He hasn't been the same since.

Fergo has been very solid without spectacular, unfortunately though does has a brainless snap in him once or twice in some games

Waqa is having a 2018 MJennings year but worse, At least Jenko was solid in defence that year. Souths will be gunning for Waqa So hopefully we can maintain a ton of possession (particularly in the first half) to limit their raids. Waqa does have an explosive game in him, maybe it will turn up this Saturday, he is well over due