What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Origin 2020

possm

Coach
Origin is a chaotic mess. There's no structure to it whatsoever.

NRL is the polar opposite. Way too pre programmed and boring.

Rugby League at its best is somewhere in the middle, which we never see.
I look forward to one day seeing a round robin competition between a team from each state/territory in Australia, the two islands of New Zealand and the Pacific nations that currently play rugby league.

blue bags

First Grade
I look forward to one day seeing a round robin competition between a team from each state/territory in Australia, the two islands of New Zealand and the Pacific nations that currently play rugby league.
that a what i see a pacific super cup, all island nations, and Australian cap cities

getsmarty

Immortal
mcinnesc-200927_gt_08.jpg

STATE OF ORIGIN

McInnes, Frizell named in New South Wales Origin squad
Author
Dan Walsh NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Sun 27 Sep 2020, 08:31 PM
walshdan-head.png

Despite his team having a dismal year, Dragons captain Cameron McInnes has been rewarded for his standout form with inclusion in NSW's 27-man extended Origin squad for the end-of-year series.

McInnes was the only member of five players announced on Sunday who has not featured previously for the Blues, indicating finals form and recent game time is a priority for coach Brad Fittler.

The inspirational Red V captain enjoyed a hell of a Sunday, with the selection news capping a day in which he starred in his side's 30-22 defeat of Melbourne and also won the club's player of the year award.

Also named alongside McInnes was Brisbane's Payne Haas, Manly brothers Jake and Tom Trbojevic and Dragons teammate Tyson Frizell.

St George Illawarra pair Paul Vaughan and Tariq Sims are notable absentees, while backline candidates Zac Lomax and David Nofoaluma were also passed over.

remote.axd

Get Caught Up: Round 20

Get Caught Up: Round 20

Their absence bodes well for the likes of South Sydney's Campbell Graham and Penrith's Stephen Crichton, with another 22 members of the Blues extended squad to now come from finals-bound sides.

Those that have missed out may yet come into contention pending injuries and suspensions over the next month, with fringe players to be told to keep themselves fit and ready just in case.

McInnes's NSW nod is a deserved reward for his efforts in a wretched St George Illawarra campaign that led to Paul McGregor's exit from the club with 18 months to run on his contract.

remote.axd

Sneak peek: The True Believers

Sneak peek: The True Believers

New coach Anthony Griffin is slated to address the St George Illawarra players on Wednesday.

The eight-point win over a second-string Storm side featured the long-awaited debuts of 19-year-old half Jayden Sullivan and prop Eddie Blacker.

Sullivan in particular had his moments, setting up Frizell's second try to seal the victory, while he was also targeted, but not rattled, by Melbourne's big men.

Along with Matt Dufty, Max Feagai, Euan Aitken, Zac Lomax, Cody Ramsey and Adam Clune, Sullivan was part of a backline drawn entirely from their local Kogarah and South Coast junior bases.

For departing coach Dean Young, an Illawarra product himself and the son of legendary St George figure Craig, the Red V roots should form the basis of Griffin's rebuild.

"It was great actually, the whole backline was local juniors and that's what this club needs to be built on moving forward," Young said.

"The times that we have been successful have been built on local juniors coming through that really care about the club.

"Obviously you need to be really smart with your recruitment choices and fill in the missing pieces.

"We've got a good group of players coming through that are young, inexperienced and really eager so the fans have just got to be a bit patient with it. It's going to take time but we've got some talent here."

The opening game of the State of Origin series will be played at Adelaide Oval on November 4, with game two in Sydney at ANZ Stadium on November 11 before the series is completed in Brisbane at Suncorp Stadium a week later.

NSW Blues squad
  • Payne Haas (Brisbane Broncos)
  • Jake Trbojevic (Manly Warringah Sea Eagles)
  • Tom Trbojevic (Manly Warringah Sea Eagles)
  • Tyson Frizell (St George Illawarra Dragons)
  • Cameron McInnes (St George Illawarra Dragons)

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2020/09/27/mcinnes-frizell-named-in-new-south-wales-origin-squad/

getsmarty

Immortal
First Blues revealed as Fittler punts on Trbojevic, axes Vaughan and Sims
Michael Chammas
September 27, 2020 — 8.16pm
View all comments

NSW Blues coach Brad Fittler has named the first five players in his extended State of Origin squad, taking a punt on injury-plagued Manly fullback Tom Trbojevic and dropping out-of-form series incumbents Paul Vaughan and Tariq Sims.

Fittler has unsurprisingly included Tom's brother, Jake, while Payne Haas and Tyson Frizell have been recalled. St George Illawarra captain Cameron McInnes, who is yet to make his State of Origin debut, has also been included in the squad.

Fittler will add to the squad as teams fall out of the premiership race, selecting just five players from the bottom eight teams and deciding against picking Dragons centre Zac Lomax despite an injury to Kotoni Staggs. Penrith centre Stephen Crichton is considered a strong chance of being selected.

It's a luxury Queensland won't have, with the Maroons to be forced to pick the bulk of their players from teams that won't feature in finals football and will not have played a game in almost six weeks by the time Origin I rolls around.

"I believe they all will play a role in helping NSW defend the State of Origin shield and I’m looking forward to working with them when we go into camp," Fittler said.

7bc63a54724afe4e77eacb0dc8506f9af1e5cf62

Brad Fittler's Blues are chasing a third straight series win, with the coach naming a train-on squad on Sunday night.Credit:Getty

"The State of Origin series will be an exciting way to finish the season and I’m confident the players we select will do the sky blue jersey proud."

The Blues are expected to begin gathering in camp at the Magenta Shores beachside resort on the Central Coast on October 19, with the players who feature in this year's grand final to join the rest of the team following the decider at ANZ Stadium on October 25.

Likely NSW team for Origin I
  1. James Tedesco
  2. Josh Addo-Carr
  3. Tom Trbojevic
  4. Jack Wighton
  5. Daniel Tupou/Nick Cotric
  6. Luke Keary
  7. Nathan Cleary
  8. David Klemmer
  9. Damien Cook
  10. Payne Haas
  11. Tyson Frizell
  12. Boyd Cordner (c)
  13. Jake Trbojevic
Reserves

14. Cameron Murray 15. Junior Paulo/Daniel Saifiti 16. Wade Graham/Angus Crichton 17. Clint Gutherson/Ryan Papenhuyzen

The selected players will be permitted to temporarily leave the NRL bubble introduced this season because of the COVID-19 pandemic and will be required to maintain a level of fitness before re-entering the bubble again for the start of camp.

NSW BLUES' POTENTIAL 27-MAN SQUAD
Backs (nine spots)
Safe:
James Tedesco, Josh Addo-Carr, Jack Wighton, Tom Trbojevic*
Fighting for five spots: Ryan Papenhuyzen, Clint Gutherson, David Nofoaluma, Nick Cotric, Blake Ferguson, Daniel Tupou, Stephen Crichton, Campbell Graham

Halves and hookers (five-six spots)
Safe:
Luke Keary, Nathan Cleary, Damien Cook, Cameron McInnes*
Fighting for two-three spots: Cody Walker, Mitchell Pearce, Mitchell Moses, Api Koroisau,

Forwards (12-13 spots)
Safe:
Payne Haas*, David Klemmer, Tyson Frizell*, Boyd Cordner, Cameron Murray, Jake Trbojevic*
Fighting for six-seven spots: Junior Paulo, Daniel Saifiti, Reagan Campbell-Gillard, Dale Finucane, Nathan Brown, Ryan Matterson, Wade Graham, Angus Crichton, Liam Martin, Isaah Yeo

*Denotes position confirmed

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/fi...ic-axes-vaughan-and-sims-20200927-p55zr3.html

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragon McInnes closes in on NSW Origin debut

AAP

3 hours ago

Cameron McInnes is one step closer to his State of Origin debut after being one of five players from outside the finals named in NSW’s squad.

McInnes had a dream Sunday, leading St George Illawarra to a 30-22 win over Melbourne and then being named the Dragons’ player of the year for a second straight season just hours after getting the news on Origin.

Incumbents Payne Haas, Tyson Frizell and Jake and Tom Trbojevic were the other players named to be included in Brad Fittler’s 27-man squad for the series on Sunday.

The Blues will continue to name players as their NRL seasons end, giving them notice to remain fit even while outside of the bubble before camp begins on October 19.

It means at this stage Zac Lomax and David Nofoaluma have been denied shots at a debut, while Dragons Paul Vaughan and Tariq Sims have been dropped.

It’s believed the Blues will however tap some players on the shoulder to say they could be brought in to the group if injuries hit during the finals series.

“This season has been extremely challenging for the game,” Fittler said.

“I believe they all will play a role in helping NSW defend the State of Origin Shield and I’m looking forward to working with them when we go into camp.”

Queensland will follow a similar method, and are expected to name their initial players after a series of medical assessments this week.

McInnes’ versatility gives him every chance to make an Origin debut.

While Damien Cook will likely be the first-choice hooker and Api Koroisau an alternative option, McInnes gives utility value if used off the bench.

He has impressed this year while playing mostly at lock for St George Illawarra, leading the club’s tackle count while still offering plenty of play-making opportunities.
Meanwhile the decision not to pick Lomax suggests Fittler will include either Stephen Crichton or Campbell Graham in his squad.

Both remain in the finals at Penrith and South Sydney, and would likely be needed for back-up if Tom Trbojevic is not fit for the series opener.

Jack Wighton would then be expected to hold his position on the other side at right centre.

https://www.theroar.com.au/2020/09/28/dragon-mcinnes-closes-in-on-nsw-origin-debut/

possm

Coach
that a what i see a pacific super cup, all island nations, and Australian cap cities
Gould has been hire to set up a pathways program for the Warriors but that will take a few years to realise any real talent. I've always thought that NZ could have their own Island of origin series and we could have a third series with a pacific Island team v an Asian team (Hong Kong + Japan).

blue bags

First Grade
Gould has been hire to set up a pathways program for the Warriors but that will take a few years to realise any real talent. I've always thought that NZ could have their own Island of origin series and we could have a third series with a pacific Island team v an Asian team (Hong Kong + Japan).
Asian team (Hong Kong + Japan) never entered my mind, maybe in 50 years, I'm just thinking south pacific islands 1zt
japan has union controlling everything, very hard to get in there now
my thoughts are what rugby league has got now in the pacific, league should step up with pathways towards NRL with more residents games in the islands

getsmarty

Immortal
kerrrc1_0495.jpg

STATE OF ORIGIN

Kerr, Hunt named in Queensland Origin squad
Author
Michael Hillier QRL Media
Timestamp
Wed 7 Oct 2020, 05:04 PM

Queensland Rugby League is pleased to announce the first group of players selected in the Queensland Maroons squad for next month’s State of Origin series.

Maroons selectors have chosen 15 players from seven clubs who have completed their National Rugby League commitments in 2020.

The Gold Coast Titans have the greatest representation with four players – Jai Arrow, AJ Brimson, Moeaki Fotuaika and Phillip Sami.

They are joined by Kalyn Ponga, Edrick Lee and Hymel Hunt (Newcastle Knights), Valentine Holmes and Coen Hess (North Queensland Cowboys), Patrick Carrigan and Xavier Coates (Brisbane Broncos), and Ben Hunt and Josh Kerr (St George Illawarra Dragons); with Harry Grant (Wests Tigers / Melbourne Storm) and Daly Cherry-Evans (Manly Sea Eagles) rounding out the initial 15.

Ponga will consult with a surgeon tomorrow before a final decision is made on his availability.

Additional players will be added to the squad as further teams are eliminated from the NRL finals series.

Nine players have yet to make their senior Queensland debuts, meaning the Maroons are poised to inject a fresh wave of talent into the Origin arena under the guidance of newly-appointed coach Wayne Bennett.

“We’ve got an exciting mix of both emerging and seasoned talent in the squad so far and we’re really pleased to be able to announce this group today after what has been a challenging period for the game,” Bennett said.

“The players named in this squad today will have a small window to freshen up before commencing work with our high performance team to ensure they are in peak condition for the series.”

Queensland selectors will confirm the squad of 27 players after the NRL grand final on October 25, the same day the Maroons will enter camp to formally begin preparations for the series opener at the Adelaide Oval on November 4.

Bennett also confirmed a new addition to his support team, with former Cowboys and Titans coach Neil Henry returning to work in camp Maroon as an assistant coach. He replaces Justin Hodges.

Queensland Maroons squad members
Jai Arrow - Gold Coast Titans

AJ Brimson - Gold Coast Titans

Moeaki Fotuaika - Gold Coast Titans

Phillip Sami - Gold Coast Titans

Valentine Holmes - North Queensland Cowboys

Coen Hess - North Queensland Cowboys

Xavier Coates - Brisbane Broncos

Patrick Carrigan - Brisbane Broncos

Edrick Lee - Newcastle Knights

Hymel Hunt - Newcastle Knights

Kalyn Ponga - Newcastle Knights

Ben Hunt - St George Illawarra Dragons

Josh Kerr - St George Illawarra Dragons

Harry Grant - Wests Tigers / Melbourne Storm

Daly Cherry-Evans - Manly Sea Eagles

* Additional players will be added following NRL finals matches

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2020/10/07/kerr-hunt-named-in-queensland-origin-squad/

P.S congratulations to both Ben & josh on their selection.

getsmarty

Immortal
Queensland names Dragons prop as bolter as Bennett opts for youth
Adam Pengilly
October 7, 2020 — 6.26pm
Leave a comment

Dragons prop Josh Kerr is one of nine players yet to be capped at State of Origin level in Wayne Bennett's initial Queensland squad, which is still sweating on the availability of Kalyn Ponga.

Kerr, who had a breakout season for St George Illawarra, was included in a 15-man train-on squad alongside clubmate Ben Hunt and four Titans players, whose representation outstrips that of the Broncos (two).
Former Queensland forwards Josh McGuire and Joe Ofahengaue were the big omissions from a squad laden with youth, while Michael Morgan, Anthony Milford, Kyle Feldt and Corey Oates have already been ruled out through injury.

Ponga was named in the squad, but will visit a surgeon on Thursday to determine whether he needs immediate surgery on a shoulder problem, potentially paving the way for Titans flyer AJ Brimson to wear the Queensland No.1 while Valentine Holmes is suspended for the opening game.

Brimson was joined in the Queensland squad by Gold Coast teammates Jai Arrow, Moeaki Fotuaika and Phillip Sami, eclipsing Brisbane's representation (Patrick Carrigan and Xavier Coates) after Bennett's old club finished with the wooden spoon.

Harry Grant has also been included in Bennett's squad after he took over the reins when Kevin Walters accepted Brisbane's head coaching role.

b5128fa73f28c0e6a2d2bcf046ed612716dc8474

The Dragons' Josh Kerr has emerged as a bolter in Wayne Bennett's Queensland squad.Credit:Getty

"We’ve got an exciting mix of both emerging and seasoned talent in the squad so far and we’re really pleased to be able to announce this group [on Wednesday] after what has been a challenging period for the game," Bennett said.

"The players named in this squad will have a small window to freshen up before commencing work with our high performance team to ensure they are in peak condition for the series."

Queensland selectors will confirm a squad of 27 after the NRL grand final later this month. The Origin side will be aided by experienced coach Neil Henry, who has taken over as assistant coach from Justin Hodges.

Queensland squad: Jai Arrow (Titans), AJ Brimson (Titans), Moeaki Fotuaika (Titans), Phillip Sami (Titans), Edrick Lee (Knights), Hymel Hunt (Knights), Kalyn Ponga (Knights), Valentine Holmes (Cowboys), Coen Hess (Cowboys), Xavier Coates (Broncos), Patrick Carrigan (Broncos), Ben Hunt (Dragons), Josh Kerr (Dragons), Harry Grant (Tigers/Storm), Daly Cherry-Evans (Sea Eagles).

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/qu...s-bennett-opts-for-youth-20201007-p56304.html

BLM01

First Grade
I didn't hear , surprised with Kerr's selection .... Away good luck to them .....
No matter who Bennett will pick..he will get them up for an origin series better than anyone and they will likely play over and above what we think they can
FFS..Fatty Vautin was able to do it with a bunch of no names.

SBD82

Coach
I’m genuinely surprised that Hunt was picked. His form hasn’t warranted selection.

Although who am I to question Sir Wayne? The bloke knows a thing or two about footy.

gitano

Juniors
I’m genuinely surprised that Hunt was picked. His form hasn’t warranted selection.

Although who am I to question Sir Wayne? The bloke knows a thing or two about footy.

Smart pick and not surprised at all.

Origin is not clean, QLD in particular play a real spoiling type of footy. BH excels at it. He's quick enough particularly out of dummy half to react, and a smart kick to a corner can turn the whole momentum of a game.

SBD82

Coach
Smart pick and not surprised at all.

Origin is not clean, QLD in particular play a real spoiling type of footy. BH excels at it. He's quick enough particularly out of dummy half to react, and a smart kick to a corner can turn the whole momentum of a game.
When he’s in form I’d probably agree, but that spark and spoiling play hasn’t been apparent this year. Obviously that’s impacted by the style that’s coached at the club, but to what degree I’m not sure.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Friz had a pretty ordinary season too by his standards..

But he grows an extra leg come Origin..

SBD82

Coach
Friz had a pretty ordinary season too by his standards..

But he grows an extra leg come Origin..
I’m not sure he’s guaranteed a starting spot. In years gone by I’ve been critical of the Blues for not playing him to start and stay on the right edge, but I think Chrichton is ahead of him this year.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I’m not sure he’s guaranteed a starting spot. In years gone by I’ve been critical of the Blues for not playing him to start and stay on the right edge, but I think Chrichton is ahead of him this year.
This is me pretty much every origin game when I see how effective Frizz is used in origin vs at club level:
giphy.gif