What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The next season issue

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
I also hope the recruiters are a bit smarter in staggering the big contracts when they look at signing some big names for ‘22. Having 4 of your top 5 paid players coming off contract at the same time virtually eliminates you from entering the player market until then.

R-15-3

Bench
Could we bring on another winger and move Ron to FB. Ron can catch , jumps high in any contest for the bomb, fast, runs the ball back no fear style. I agree that Kennedy has gone about as far as he can. But can he run into an attacking play? I really do not want Kennedy replaced with a worn out veteran.
If we can’t get another decent fullback to the club then Ronaldo is my first choice of what we have at the club. It’s a big stretch for him as he does have a few flaws and think we need to sign a fullback or 2 but what’s out there? I can deal with Kennedy under the high ball, with him linking in the back line but nothing else. His defensive reads have got to be the worst iv seen from anyone to ever play fullback. Online he is out of position on every tackle, no energy to cover the line, no strength to make the tackle, no talk in organising the defence line. 50% of our try’s conceded this year have him jogging over to late to end up putting a hand on player as it’s been scored because he was out of position not reading the play.Yes our defence as a whole has been horrendous but any other fullback in the comp would of been better than him this year. Put on any game against the top 7 this year and watch his position and compare it to the opponent.
i get this year has been shit all round but if Kennedy is in our top 3 choices of fullback next year we are f**ked.

ghoti

Bench
If we can’t get another decent fullback to the club then Ronaldo is my first choice of what we have at the club. It’s a big stretch for him as he does have a few flaws and think we need to sign a fullback or 2 but what’s out there? I can deal with Kennedy under the high ball, with him linking in the back line but nothing else. His defensive reads have got to be the worst iv seen from anyone to ever play fullback. Online he is out of position on every tackle, no energy to cover the line, no strength to make the tackle, no talk in organising the defence line. 50% of our try’s conceded this year have him jogging over to late to end up putting a hand on player as it’s been scored because he was out of position not reading the play.Yes our defence as a whole has been horrendous but any other fullback in the comp would of been better than him this year. Put on any game against the top 7 this year and watch his position and compare it to the opponent.
i get this year has been shit all round but if Kennedy is in our top 3 choices of fullback next year we are f**ked.

I think I disagree with almost everything in this post! Kennedy hasn't been perfect but a lot of those points just seem made up to paint him as a bad fullback.. and if Mulitalo is yr answer then he almost certainly is worse on all of those criteria, his communication and defensive reads have been f**ken dreadful on the wing (can improve though) and he doesn't seem to have much ball playing potential. Moots is a winger through and through for mine

Kennedy on the other hand developed extraordinarily well this year, probably put in firsts a year too early too and I'd have him in the bottom of a top 10 fullbacks in the NRL that played this year on form.

I've only been to a couple games this year but his communication at the back seemed good to me. Keeping in mind he has a defensive rabble in front of him he's done a decent job.

Next year no doubt Morris has Moylan on his last chance and Kennedy as the first choice fullbacks. If a better option comes on the market I'd jump for sure, but I really don't understand the Kennedy criticism in here... My feel is his development is on track and 2022 will be the year he threatens to be a legitimate first choice NRL fullback

Craigshark

First Grade
Kennedy is a terrible fullback. He is not only the worst fullback in the nrl, he’s one of the worst players. Who is a worse fullback then him in the nrl at the moment? He probably did play too much too soon through no fault of his own but he’s shown nothing to suggest he’s going to do any thing more then throw that final pass on the out the back play. He can’t tackle, he is out of position 99% of the time, his runs are weak. I could go on and on. If we go in to next year with him being our first choice fullback we’re f**ked.

ghoti

Bench
Kennedy is a terrible fullback. He is not only the worst fullback in the nrl, he’s one of the worst players. Who is a worse fullback then him in the nrl at the moment? He probably did play too much too soon through no fault of his own but he’s shown nothing to suggest he’s going to do any thing more then throw that final pass on the out the back play. He can’t tackle, he is out of position 99% of the time, his runs are weak. I could go on and on. If we go in to next year with him being our first choice fullback we’re f**ked.

f**k... I disagree with all of that. Just going off the teamlists for Round 20 alone, I'd say throughout the season Kennedy often outplayed Darius Boyd, Corey Allan (prior to his great form at the end of the season), Val Holmes (who was mud for half the season), Will Hopoate and Tevita Funa at least.

I think for a first year in he's done a solid job behind the merry-go-round of halves he's had to run off.. his ball playing is already at a state that Holmes' fullback player took five seasons to develop, his kick returns are solid, sometimes breaks the line and asks questions and his main problems in that regard have been communicating with Mulitalo. His one-on-one defence has been poor, but again, no fullback should have to be fixing that many mistakes made by the front line defence. His positonal play is not 99% shit, and my guess is you're basing that call on highlights packages of the tries we concede rather than a whole-of-game analysis where he's very, very often in the right position.

I know I'm overstating his strengths to compensate for yours and R-15's "one of the worst players in the NRL" calls, but I really don't get that analysis of what he's shown throughout a whole game in 15+ appearances this year. Of course he's not first choice yet, but I think he's shown f**king plenty this year to be in an NRL roster as a medium term second choice fullback.

carinashark

First Grade
I like Kennedy and he is safe for catching, which is good. But going forward we need a big angry guy, like Katoni. I know next season we will not be in the market . But we should be looking. Has to be big , fast and scary.

R-15-3

Bench
f**k... I disagree with all of that. Just going off the teamlists for Round 20 alone, I'd say throughout the season Kennedy often outplayed Darius Boyd, Corey Allan (prior to his great form at the end of the season), Val Holmes (who was mud for half the season), Will Hopoate and Tevita Funa at least.

I think for a first year in he's done a solid job behind the merry-go-round of halves he's had to run off.. his ball playing is already at a state that Holmes' fullback player took five seasons to develop, his kick returns are solid, sometimes breaks the line and asks questions and his main problems in that regard have been communicating with Mulitalo. His one-on-one defence has been poor, but again, no fullback should have to be fixing that many mistakes made by the front line defence. His positonal play is not 99% shit, and my guess is you're basing that call on highlights packages of the tries we concede rather than a whole-of-game analysis where he's very, very often in the right position.

I know I'm overstating his strengths to compensate for yours and R-15's "one of the worst players in the NRL" calls, but I really don't get that analysis of what he's shown throughout a whole game in 15+ appearances this year. Of course he's not first choice yet, but I think he's shown f**king plenty this year to be in an NRL roster as a medium term second choice fullback.
Will have to agree to disagree, iv watched every second of every game and was watching him closely all game all season long and his positional play was the worst iv ever seen.

Version IV

Juniors
Guys remember we are calling for Ferris and Trindall to play in 2021 I believe both don't have contracts I could be wrong

Frenzy.

Immortal
I think I disagree with almost everything in this post! Kennedy hasn't been perfect but a lot of those points just seem made up to paint him as a bad fullback.. and if Mulitalo is yr answer then he almost certainly is worse on all of those criteria, his communication and defensive reads have been f**ken dreadful on the wing (can improve though) and he doesn't seem to have much ball playing potential. Moots is a winger through and through for mine

Kennedy on the other hand developed extraordinarily well this year, probably put in firsts a year too early too and I'd have him in the bottom of a top 10 fullbacks in the NRL that played this year on form.

I've only been to a couple games this year but his communication at the back seemed good to me. Keeping in mind he has a defensive rabble in front of him he's done a decent job.

Next year no doubt Morris has Moylan on his last chance and Kennedy as the first choice fullbacks. If a better option comes on the market I'd jump for sure, but I really don't understand the Kennedy criticism in here... My feel is his development is on track and 2022 will be the year he threatens to be a legitimate first choice NRL fullback

I agree with all this but would point out that one could argue, man for man there, is a better option for every player. This "better option" now doesn't mean they end up better overall.

Kennedy is fine. He's got L Plates on.

People would spew blood if he went elsewhere and went all superstar and start whinging about another one that got away.

MilkShark

First Grade
Kennedy could still turn out ok, but if it takes him 2/3/4/5 years for him to figure his defence and positioning, I don’t know that it’s worth waiting for

Inferno

Coach
I wonder if his development is going to be hampered by only playing half a season or less if he continues to be replaced when Moylan is fit.

I think we need to make a decision on whether Moyza is up to playing fullback or not and if not Kennedy should be the first choice fullback.

Ads

First Grade
Problem with Kennedy is his size and with that size you need to have stand out skills and pace. Papenhuyzen is tiny like Kennedy but he has the tools to survive. Kennedy is not fast, not particularly evasive, certainly not strong. There’s not much there to work with to make him a starter long term.

Weaponhead

Coach
Problem with Kennedy is his size and with that size you need to have stand out skills and pace. Papenhuyzen is tiny like Kennedy but he has the tools to survive. Kennedy is not fast, not particularly evasive, certainly not strong. There’s not much there to work with to make him a starter long term.
Agree. Papenhuyzen is explosive, Kennedy is not. Papenhuyzen has far more intent than Kennedy.

Kennedy has nice hands and chooses passes well. However, his defence is not good and his kick returns offer very little which is why he passes off to a winger nearly every time. He is missing vital ingredients for fullback that it is doubtful can be trained enough to get to the required level.

The coaching is the difference. I swear Bellamy would make the most average player a solid first grader. Cannot be underestimated.

Tiger Shark

Bench
The coaching is the difference. I swear Bellamy would make the most average player a solid first grader. Cannot be underestimated.

To an extent, it's mostly the player. Pap is an elite talent, always has been from when he was at the Tigers. They didn't think much of losing him because they had Teddy ..haha

When you have Slater, Smith etc it's not hard to entice the next young Fullback, Hooker to join and learn from the best with the aim of eventually taking over.

Version IV

Juniors
We have Kennedy one more year over summer I would get David Peachey to come down and work with Kennedy, some of the things Kennedy does are Peach like, I don't think it would cost us huge but there is upside if works.