What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Redcliffe put their hand up

adamkungl

Immortal
I'm yet to meet a person who calls themselves a South Queenslander. No one has ever told me they live in South Queensland. I've never told anyone that I live in South Queensland.

Irrelevant
No one says they're from South Sydney either. South Sydney don't even play in South Sydney.
But it has Sydney in the name and that makes it immediately valuable.
No one outside of Moreton Bay even knows where Moreton Bay is.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
I'm all for that.
South Queensland Dolphins at Suncorp for most of the year is a great bid, as I've said in this thread.

Redcliffe Dolphins playing in front of sub 10k crowds at a local park will make Manly and Cronulla look like the Broncos.
Agreed they can't play at Dolphin Oval unless it gets bigger.....Suncorp has to be their main ground

Moreton Bay lol, it's an LGA that means nothing to most people. A bunch of random suburbs some government officer drew a circle around. I would avoid branding a team as Moreton Bay... Brisbane or South QLD Dolphins is definitely better.
The Bay of Moreton extends from Caloundra down to the Surfers Paradise, washing onto the shores of beachside suburbs in Brisbane, Gold Coast, Redlands, Moreton Bay Region and Sunshine Coast. People who live along these areas could easily attach themselves to the club.

adamkungl

Immortal
Easts Roosters are a small suburban club without juniors.

local juniors mean sweet f**k all in a professional sport.
Roosters recognised long ago that image, branding and facilities bring in more value than naming yourself after a local suburb. And the locals still support the club, even the ones still grumbling about the name change.

Irrelevant
No one says they're from South Sydney either. South Sydney don't even play in South Sydney.
But it has Sydney in the name and that makes it immediately valuable.
No one outside of Moreton Bay even knows where Moreton Bay is.
It's not irrelevant. I don't want to support a club called "South Queensland" and I am from the area. I am the sort of person who will be supporting this club. Attaching a broad name like South Queensland isn't going to unite people from Ipswich, Logan, Redland, Scenic Rim, Moreton Bay and Sunshine Coast. There's too much rivalry between these cities to ever have them united. I see it play out in the comments sections of the local paper all the bloody time.

Moreton Bay Region is named after the Moreton Bay, which is a large stretch of water that extends from Caloundra on the Sunshine Coast down to Surfers Paradise on the Gold Coast.

local juniors mean sweet f**k all in a professional sport.
Roosters recognised long ago that image, branding and facilities bring in more value than naming yourself after a local suburb. And the locals still support the club, even the ones still grumbling about the name change.
The point is a Sydney Easts supporter is not in any position to say a prospective team should be denied entry on the basis it is small and suburban.

adamkungl

Immortal
The point is a Sydney Easts supporter is not in any position to say a prospective team should be denied entry on the basis it is small and suburban.

The point is Roosters gave grown out of suburban tinpot footy to grow and secure their future.
They aren't small and suburban. They have internationally recognised branding and will play out of the best stadium in Sydney.
The benchmark for any new club should be Roosters, Melbourne, Brisbane, Souths.
Not Cronulla or Manly.

If you were starting fresh, or expanding into Sydney in 2020 (in a bizzaro alternate reality where Sydney currently only has 1 club) you certainly would not launch a new team called the Waverley Chickens. No one knows or cares how many people live in Waverley LGA.
You'd call it Sydney. Or East Sydney.

adamkungl

Immortal
It's not irrelevant. I don't want to support a club called "South Queensland" and I am from the area. I am the sort of person who will be supporting this club. Attaching a broad name like South Queensland isn't going to unite people from Ipswich, Logan, Redland, Scenic Rim, Moreton Bay and Sunshine Coast.

Any club basing their decisions on what rusted-on people set in their ways think is doomed to failure.
For every one of you who gives a shit about Q-Cup suburb rivalries, there will be 10 kids who think the jerseys are cool. Expansion has to appeal to the future, not the past.
South Queensland brings in a huge pool of potential supporters, even if it is vague semi-nonsense (at least it's not Greater Northern Brisbane...).
Redcliffe/Moreton Bay only appeals to the local area.

mongoose

Coach
The Bay of Moreton extends from Caloundra down to the Surfers Paradise, washing onto the shores of beachside suburbs in Brisbane, Gold Coast, Redlands, Moreton Bay Region and Sunshine Coast. People who live along these areas could easily attach themselves to the club.

well that is the actual Bay you are talking about. My point is more that people in the Moreton Bay regional council area don't say they live in Moreton Bay, they are most likely just going to say they live in Brisbane.

Roosters are from the City of Sydney, are they not?

There's bugger all in regards to LGAs or even suburbs to the east of City of Sydney, as it's based on the harbour.

When the Elmer Fudds of Redfern came about they were based in what came to be the City of South Sydney. It doesn't exist anymore, but at some stage that area was known as "South Sydney".

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Isn't the idea of the name changing to cover more area to attract more supporters?

So by the Roosters changing from Eastern Suburbs to Sydney Roosters has this happened?

From my understanding they are always ridiculed for their poor support.

well that is the actual Bay you are talking about. My point is more that people in the Moreton Bay regional council area don't say they live in Moreton Bay, they are most likely just going to say they live in Brisbane.
I've heard people from the area say they're from Caboolture or Redcliffe.

In 20 years time the kids who are running around now might very well say Moreton Bay as it's what they will have grown up knowing it as.

Perth Red

Post Whore
With an estimated operating budget of A$391 million and a 2018 population of 459,585, Moreton Bay Regionis the third largest local government area in Australia behind the City of Brisbane and City of Gold Coast, both of which are also amalgamated entities.

For the umpteenth time there isnt a suitable stadium anywhere near Moreton Bay region! Its 40km from Moreton Bay to Suncorp. We know how keen RL fans are to travel to a stadium! So they are going to call themselves Moreton bay and either A) Play at a stadium 40kms away in front of no one from Moreton Bay or B) Play in the Moreton Bay region in a stadium that isnt fit for NRL?
Sounds like a great recipe for success!

Only way it works is if they call themselves Brisbane Dolphins, North Brisbane Dolphins or SQ Dolphins and play 11 games at Suncorp and heritage round at the local park in Redcliffe.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Isn't the idea of the name changing to cover more area to attract more supporters?

So by the Roosters changing from Eastern Suburbs to Sydney Roosters has this happened?

From my understanding they are always ridiculed for their poor support.

Well in 1994 (last years as Easts) they avg 11k and last year they avg'd 17k so there you go :)

MugaB

Coach
The point is Roosters gave grown out of suburban tinpot footy to grow and secure their future.
They aren't small and suburban. They have internationally recognised branding and will play out of the best stadium in Sydney.
The benchmark for any new club should be Roosters, Melbourne, Brisbane, Souths.
Not Cronulla or Manly.

If you were starting fresh, or expanding into Sydney in 2020 (in a bizzaro alternate reality where Sydney currently only has 1 club) you certainly would not launch a new team called the Waverley Chickens. No one knows or cares how many people live in Waverley LGA.
You'd call it Sydney. Or East Sydney.
You wouldn't call them the Sydney Roosters either, what a terrible mascot

MugaB

Coach
Only way it works is if they call themselves Brisbane Dolphins, North Brisbane Dolphins or SQ Dolphins and play 11 games at Suncorp and heritage round at the local park in Redcliffe.
Team 17 = East Coast Dolphins
Team 18 = West Coast Pirates
Team 19 = South Pacific Cyclones
Team 20 = North Sydney Bears (gosford)

north, south, east, west.... easy

For the umpteenth time there isnt a suitable stadium anywhere near Moreton Bay region! Its 40km from Moreton Bay to Suncorp. We know how keen RL fans are to travel to a stadium! So they are going to call themselves Moreton bay and either A) Play at a stadium 40kms away in front of no one from Moreton Bay or B) Play in the Moreton Bay region in a stadium that isnt fit for NRL?
Sounds like a great recipe for success!

You've got a point. Hopefully they can get enough funds to upgrade Dolphin Oval or market Moreton Bay as the actual bay and try to get everyone who lives alongside it to buy in. That or East Coast.

ash the bash

Juniors
In one of Redcliffe articles the guy putting together the bid (ex Broncos Corp guy) mentioned 3 possible names with more potentially put to the public.
South Queensland Dolphins - Moreton Bay Dolphins - River City Dolphins

Personally would go for either SQ or MB not so sure about RC Dolphins as a name.