What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Soward Joins coaching team as kicking coach

Inisai Toga

Juniors
The other beneficiary might be Zac Lomax and his goal kicking and who ever else might kick if he’s out injured. Good to have a couple of goal kickers at around the 75 -80% mark. Need to win the close ones! Chook Herron was no Kenny Irvine, but he could pot a goal or two. Got us to a couple of GF’s.

hazzbeen

Bench
The other beneficiary might be Zac Lomax and his goal kicking and who ever else might kick if he’s out injured. Good to have a couple of goal kickers at around the 75 -80% mark. Need to win the close ones! Chook Herron was no Kenny Irvine, but he could pot a goal or two. Got us to a couple of GF’s.
Bring back the Chook and the Penguin ........:)

BLM01

First Grade
Bring back the Chook and the Penguin ........:)
Had a chat to the Penguin last Sat arvo and his brother at the Cabbage Tree Hotel
He is still fit and lean looking
Re Sowie
It is only a part time consultancy role float in and out so he’s not gonna be like there as a full time assistant coach anyway
I think it is a smart appointment for a majority of our squad that he can educate especially younger players
I’m a little bit concerned that people like Hunt and Norman would see his involvement as a “well I’m a better player than you ever were so why are you teaching me” attitude scenario
We will see

hazzbeen

Bench
Had a chat to the Penguin last Sat arvo and his brother at the Cabbage Tree Hotel
Re Sowie
It is only a part time consultancy role float in and out so he’s not gonna be like there as a full time assistant coach anyway
I think it is a smart appointment for a majority of our squad that he can educate especially younger players
I’m a little bit concerned that people like Hunt and Norman would see his involvement as a “well I’m a better player than you ever were so why are you teaching me” attitude scenario
We will see
The Cabbage Tree Hotel , many a drink and many a brawl ..... Ah the good old days .....

getsmarty

Immortal
sowardj-10062529-i.jpeg

CLUB NEWS

Soward returns to Dragons in consultancy role
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Thu 8 Oct 2020, 11:55 AM

St George Illawarra 2010 premiership-winning playmaker Jamie Soward will return to the Dragons in a kicking coach capacity ahead of the club's 2021 NRL Telstra Premiership campaign.

Soward's consultancy role follows the recent finalisation of the Dragons' 2021 football department, including Matt Elliott and Peter Gentle as assistants to incoming head coach Anthony Griffin and the introduction of Dragons Academy.

Soward played 140 NRL games for the Dragons between 2007 and 2013, and remains the club's leading pointscorer to this day (977 – 39 tries, 398 goals and 25 field goals).

"I'm extremely excited to return to the Dragons after a number of years away from the club," Soward said.

"It's a proud moment and great opportunity for me to be able to work alongside such a high quality squad.

"The Dragons have always held a special part in my heart and I'm looking forward to making more memories in my new role at the Red V."

Dragons general manager of football Ben Haran explained the rationale behind Soward's return to the club.

"We are delighted that Jamie has agreed to return to the club, given his experience as a former Dragons premiership winner and New South Wales Origin representative," Haran said.

"Jamie's focus will be centred on kicking, whether to help develop individual kicking games or instil best practice techniques as far as goal kicking is concerned, among a vast number of other aspects.

"The relationship that Jamie and Anthony Griffin established during their time at the Penrith Panthers together was another positive factor considered when making this appointment.

"We will now continue to explore a number of different consultancy options to further complement the club's 2021 program."

sowardj-10062025.jpeg

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/202...WktW5O9voEBxVHDMtbOlb-fT2MUKIyNKSc3YmhliVV-yw

redv13

Bench
Re Sowie
We will see
Maybe but how many premiership rings have Hunt and Norman won?? Between 2009 and 2011 Soward was a machine, scored and set up some cracking tries. I wish Hunt and Norman could do this

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
So when Soward used to play, he’d be standing pretty far back. Look towards where the fullback and wingers weren’t. Catch the ball from the play the ball and kick the ball as hard as he could towards the spot where the fb and winger weren’t.
If dragons management are reading this, I just saved you whatever you’re going to pay Soward...you’re welcome...

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Re Sowie
We will see
Well that’s up to Hook and Elliott to ensure they frame it that way and I’m sure they will! If done properly the players should welcome it. Soward is universally recognised as a great kicker of the football and if he stays within that brief the players would only gain from his shrewd knowledge.
Consultancy is a pretty common thing in workplace organisations and that attitude is pretty old school and also pretty easier to overcome...over to you Elliott

possm

Coach
Our halves, Lomax, Dufty and Hunt need to improve their field goal skills.

Latest posts