What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rate our Season 2020

Yosh

Coach
Probably a bit soon with the horrible loss still fresh but how do you guys rate our season?

I'd give us a solid 6/10.

Some bad games in there but there was promise and getting into the top 8 was always going to get at least a pass mark. We were a win away from 6th. Would have been amazing to have had a home final but some of our losses were horrible.

If we can get good enough to avoid those bad losses against lower sides, I think we will get at least top 6 next year.

6/10. Some positives but way too inconsistent after the first few games. We are going to fall behind in games but rarely showed that we can tough out and launch a comeback.
Very one-dimensional in attack.
Defence generally improved a lot but we kept needing to refocus on it.
I seriously don't think we would have done as well if this wasn't 2020.

Knight Vision

First Grade
B - or 7/10 Considering last years we have improved no doubt about it.

We have a new coach with new staff and systems to learn. Huge injury toll plus Tuala, Shibasaki, Star, Best, Jones, Randall, all either new to the club or rookies - all showed great promise for the future.

Positives
  • The Coach- he improved everyone's individual game ( except Pearce )
  • Mann - busted his balls for the red and blue
  • Bradman Best - is a genuine Superstar of the future, perhaps even next season
  • Tuala - Last few games aside was our buy of the year for his first full season of NRL he was outstanding
  • Saf boys trajectory is exciting. Next season I'm expecting we should have the best prop rotation in the game bar none.
  • Toa - showed glimpses of a good footy player
Negatives
  • Mitchell Pearce- the decline is obvious
  • Lack of on field leadership
  • Inconsistency - young team, new systems, injury toll, weird asf season possible reasons
  • Effort- 1% efforts not there
  • Enthusiasm - often nowhere to be seen
  • Aggression - We conceded 2nd most run mtrs more than the Broncos and less than the Bulldogs
Notable mentions

• Attack - 7th in points scored, 8th in tries, 9th in offloads, but 2nd in run mtrs which suggests we can get to the other end of the field but fail to execute
  • Defense - 7th in tries conceded, 9th in line breaks conceded, 10th in offloads conceded and 12th in missed tackles - lack of Effort, Enthusiasm and Aggression,

Old dog

Juniors
I thought that our position achieved, top 8, was about expected, happy to have achieved that but would have preferred a more consistent results, achieved some good results with some poor ones, not the losses but the size of them. Expect about same next season unless we buy well and smart.

Knight76

Juniors
Rate it a pass grade, next season if we have the same up and down performances limp in to the finals for a quick exit it will be a fail.

Gus commented that the Knights had an easy year this year with a softer than normal competition allowing us to make the 8. I tend to agree with that idea though that just shows we handled it better than some. But next year will require a lift in performance.

Jono078

Referee
I'd say a 7.

Biggest concern is we're still consistently inconsistent. Also some question marks on our style of play and execution. Even though we put up some big scores towards the end, we never ever really looked like a cohesive unit.

But overall we made the finals and we were tracking for a top 4 for a good portion of the season.

Injuries to key players really hurt and we handled it fairly well with recruitment and depth.

I'm excited for next season if we can address a couple of important things this off season.

Knight Vision

First Grade
Gus commented that the Knights had an easy year this year with a softer than normal competition allowing us to make the 8. I tend to agree with that idea though that just shows we handled it better than some. But next year will require a lift in performance.
I agree , we handled the season better than some teams. If anything this season may have appeared to be soft on the field but mentally I'm sure it was a tough season for the players.

AusKnightRKO

First Grade
I agree , we handled the season better than some teams. If anything this season may have appeared to be soft on the field but mentally I'm sure it was a tough season for the players.
I semi Disagree, we versed the top 8 in 8-20 games, and the games we versed the teams outside of the 8 we dropped more times than not, especially games like The Cowboys, Bulldogs, Titans and The warriors.

If we finally nail down a halves pairing, we could move from 11 wins to 15-16, if we get some luck with injuries it will be very interesting, Klem will have a chip on his shoulder next year, hopefully Saulo can have a massive off season, as he clearly has a bit of Agro which we desperately need.

Jono078

Referee
I semi Disagree, we versed the top 8 in 8-20 games, and the games we versed the teams outside of the 8 we dropped more times than not, especially games like The Cowboys, Bulldogs, Titans and The warriors.

If we finally nail down a halves pairing, we could move from 11 wins to 15-16, if we get some luck with injuries it will be very interesting, Klem will have a chip on his shoulder next year, hopefully Saulo can have a massive off season, as he clearly has a bit of Agro which we desperately need.
It's an interesting one for that 4th prop spot. Prior to this year I was more excited about Saulo, but going into next year I actually am excited to see if King can take another step up. I thought he did really well in each game he played.

Knight Vision

First Grade

Mentally I think this season would be different to most others - being locked in a bubble, not being able to see sick loved ones etc is an adverse effect we cant really quantify this year.

I think with the exception of the Bulldogs game all those games you mentioned were away and required travel on the day of the game? We played 8 games at home this season losing only 2.

The Panthers have played 16 games in Sydney and 1 on the central coast this season and only had to leave the state on 3 occasions - a very huge leg up in terms of preparation, recovery and mental health I'd say.

AusKnightRKO

First Grade
Mentally I think this season would be different to most others - being locked in a bubble, not being able to see sick loved ones etc is an adverse effect we cant really quantify this year.

I think with the exception of the Bulldogs game all those games you mentioned were away and required travel on the day of the game? We played 8 games at home this season losing only 2.

The Panthers have played 16 games in Sydney and 1 on the central coast this season and only had to leave the state on 3 occasions - a very huge leg up in terms of preparation, recovery and mental health I'd say.

Basically why i semi disagree with the soft year that Gould is talking about, the hardest team was probably Canberra, they were really
Screwed for half a season.

Knight Vision

First Grade
Basically why i semi disagree with the soft year that Gould is talking about, the hardest team was probably Canberra, they were really
Screwed for half a season.
Yeh not exactly a fair and equal season really - I suppose we should just be thankful we had a season at all

Knight76

Juniors
It's an interesting one for that 4th prop spot. Prior to this year I was more excited about Saulo, but going into next year I actually am excited to see if King can take another step up. I thought he did really well in each game he played.

I think King has reached his Ceiling pretty much.

Jono078

Referee
I think King has reached his Ceiling pretty much.
Even if that's his ceiling I think he makes a very good bench option. As of right now I favour him to Saulo, but I can acknowledge Saulo still has some development, especially physical, in him.

Old dog

Juniors
With King we know what we have so unless you can sign a middle forward in front of him he is ok, Saulo is a developer who will potentially outstrip King so we are ok, let’s find a 5/8.

I'm probably going to sound a little harsh but I think we finished 7th less for how good we were and more for how ordinary the comp was. This season is an extremely soft comp with some of the worst performing/most unfortunate sides in memory. The Broncos, Cowboys, Bulldogs and Dragons were total nothing sides, Manly and Canberra were ravaged with injury from the outset and had squads that would have finished higher, Titans were rubbish until the last month or so, Souffs were plain ordinary most of the season, the Sharps made the 8 without ever beating a Top 8 side, the Warriors had a million problems, the Tigers were the Tigers.... seriously, a club has huge problems if it didn't make the 8 this year.

That said, I loved our defence for the first half of the season and I thoroughly enjoyed the rise of Bradman Best. Also liked watching Andrew McCullough play, I thought he done us proud. Honestly though, most of our games were painful to watch, even the wins. I'm still hurting. 5/10.

Jono078

Referee
Did anyone catch any of tonight's awards night?

Didn't want to create a new thread but Ponga took out player of the year.

Last edited:

mozza91

Coach
We did have a shitload of injuries to key players as well. Losing Brailey and Watson for pretty much the whole season really affects the teams structure and energy.

Decent season but could’ve been better. But it was certainly in improvement on last year and next year I’m confident that we‘ll see improvement again.

Latest posts