What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL on Melbourne FTA is a joke

Perth Red

Post Whore
Thanks in part to your mate Smiffy ,who earlier set the stage for future PTV deals involving AFL.

My mate Smiffy got us a bigger FTA deal than AFL for the first time ever, despite our metro ratings being pss poor in comparison. Top bloke, Shame he never got given the chance to smash Fox in same way.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Based on the audience for a particular time slot.

Its usually a package and relates to time slots (often a combo of prime and cheap) type of program for specific brand targeting etc. Putting NRL on a Sunday afternoon on Ch9 instead of digital costs Nine nothing but would help the game. In fact we know sport is a major advertising driver for certain products, having national exposure for the betting, drink, harvey normans of the world would be quite appealing Id have thought and more valuable than jims mowing they show on a sunday afternoon during some rerun no one is watching.

You think the 12 year old film "Make it Happen" is going to rate well in Perth this Sunday afternoon? They stick sht films on that would barely top 40k viewers. We should be able to build an NRL audience equivalent to that, if we cant it doesnt say much about our game or its appeal does it?

adamkungl

Immortal
Despite all of these leg-ups, dating back almost 40 years, fumbleball is still a minnow in Sydney.

What chance does RL have in Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth when we know the media will be against us?

The aim isn't for the AFL to be #1 in Sydney or Brisbane, just to have skin in the game.
Despite limited mass-interest Swans draw higher crowds and revenue than any Sydney NRL club.
Their presence here allows the AFL to sell itself as a national game.
It increases TV rights and sponsorship value for every club in the sport.

The NRL still remains an arguably niche East Coast sport.
With so much of Australia's national media culture based in Melbourne, the NRLs failure to have a presence in the 5 main state capitals makes it easy to refer to the sport with disdain.
Even in Sydney, League's lack of international ambition means that in the big-end of town (where serious sponsorship value sits) it still plays second fiddle to Union - an absolute basketcase of a sport in this country.

Qantas has pulled its sports sponsorships due to the COVID crash. When they inevitably come back to the table in a few years, it would be nice to see Rugby League in the conversation, but I'm 99% sure we won't.
Qantas Kangaroos has a nice ring to it doesn't it? But I can't see it while the sport remains completely obsessed with Western Sydney and Brisbane. 100 years building up the heartlands, maybe another 100 will do the trick.

Perth Red

Post Whore
We have 10m half Time. Afl have 20m + 2X5m Quarters. half that time is spent advertising

The vast majority of revenue for PTV comes from subscriptions not advertising. An extra few adds repeated ad nausea during a couple of extra breaks isnt worth much.
Given NRL is more popular its fair to assume it is driving more subscriptions, no?

tri_colours

Juniors
The vast majority of revenue for PTV comes from subscriptions not advertising. An extra few adds repeated ad nausea during a couple of extra breaks isnt worth much.
Given NRL is more popular its fair to assume it is driving more subscriptions, no?

Say its half & Half during the breaks, roughly 15m is 30, 30seconds or over 250 30 sec adds each week .Not that small a difference considering we get about 80% of the money they get. And don't forget they got more thanks to your mate.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Say its half & Half during the breaks, roughly 15m is 30, 30seconds or over 250 30 sec adds each week .Not that small a difference considering we get about 80% of the money they get. And don't forget they got more thanks to your mate.

Like I said PTV money comes from subscriptions, mostly.

We will never know will we? Grant lost his balls before seeing what he could get out of them. All we do know for a FACT is that he got us a massive increase on the FTA deal, more than the AFL 's for the first time in the games history. You can guess what might have happened if he had been allowed to stay the course and negotiate with them but it is just that, a guess.

tri_colours

Juniors
Like I said PTV money comes from subscriptions, mostly.

We will never know will we? Grant lost his balls before seeing what he could get out of them. All we do know for a FACT is that he got us a massive increase on the FTA deal, more than the AFL 's for the first time in the games history. You can guess what might have happened if he had been allowed to stay the course and negotiate with them but it is just that, a guess.

The aim isn't for the AFL to be #1 in Sydney or Brisbane, just to have skin in the game.
Despite limited mass-interest Swans draw higher crowds and revenue than any Sydney NRL club.
Their presence here allows the AFL to sell itself as a national game.
It increases TV rights and sponsorship value for every club in the sport.

The NRL still remains an arguably niche East Coast sport.
With so much of Australia's national media culture based in Melbourne, the NRLs failure to have a presence in the 5 main state capitals makes it easy to refer to the sport with disdain.
Even in Sydney, League's lack of international ambition means that in the big-end of town (where serious sponsorship value sits) it still plays second fiddle to Union - an absolute basketcase of a sport in this country.

Qantas has pulled its sports sponsorships due to the COVID crash. When they inevitably come back to the table in a few years, it would be nice to see Rugby League in the conversation, but I'm 99% sure we won't.
Qantas Kangaroos has a nice ring to it doesn't it? But I can't see it while the sport remains completely obsessed with Western Sydney and Brisbane. 100 years building up the heartlands, maybe another 100 will do the trick.

If having a national footprint is so important why did News Ltd shut down Perth and Adelaide after the SL war? And why did he chose an organisation based solely on the East Coast to spearhead his start-up PTV company rather than the AFL - a truly national competition?

taipan

Referee
My mate Smiffy got us a bigger FTA deal than AFL for the first time ever, despite our metro ratings being pss poor in comparison. Top bloke, Shame he never got given the chance to smash Fox in same way.

We were discussing PTV ,and we should have been on much more than we got during his reign.
Even allowing for the extra ads they get for having 4 qtrs.

Your mate's deal with 9 ended up skewering the total FTA and Pay deal, because it got Murdoch offside.You can be a so called top bloke, and Greenberg ,Gallop were also top blokes, but it's the dollars and cents and the end result for the game that counts.We have been marking time for years with them all in charge.Smash Fox LOL, when Fox ended up paying the AFL a few hundred million extra out of spite.

You do understand FTA thus ch9 has the SOO ,so metro ratings are just parti of the mix.Ignore SOO revenue on FTA at your peril.
I doubt any of the former CEOs would have had a clue how to handle the COVID debacle.

adamkungl

Immortal
If having a national footprint is so important why did News Ltd shut down Perth and Adelaide after the SL war?

Because, mostly due to the Super League war, they were bleeding money and had no historical foundation or leagues clubs to prop them up. Politics and history.
The game could afford to expand in 1994, and could again now if it had the ambition or courage, without shooting itself in the foot.

Perth Red

Post Whore
If having a national footprint is so important why did News Ltd shut down Perth and Adelaide after the SL war? And why did he chose an organisation based solely on the East Coast to spearhead his start-up PTV company rather than the AFL - a truly national competition?

They had to cull number of clubs, ARL (nswrl) wanted perth gone and Sydney clubs saved, news wanted melbourne, perth financially screwed due to travel costs, Adelaide case of last in first out.
They chose RL as it was an easy target. Afl was better run and they knew they wouldn’t be able to run rough shod over them. Also for better or worse they had a grand vision for RL internationally.

tri_colours

Juniors
AFL was better run? according to who? Rugby league was generaly recognised as No1, simply the best as Tina would say.

News LTD would of been paying travel expenses for Townsville & NZ and they wouldn't of been much different. And Last in 1st out doesn't seem much of excuse if we needed a truly national competition. He started up the storm not long after that. (Another East Coast side )

Perth Red

Post Whore
AFL was better run? according to who? Rugby league was generaly recognised as No1, simply the best as Tina would say.

News LTD would of been paying travel expenses for Townsville & NZ and they wouldn't of been much different. And Last in 1st out doesn't seem much of excuse if we needed a truly national competition. He started up the storm not long after that. (Another East Coast side )

RL has been mired with self interest and conflicts of interest it’s whole history. It made jamming a wedge between clubs and governing body easy, especially when the clubs found out what was transpiring with ptv deal that the arl was signing them up to. Weak leadership is always ripe for a coup. Not sure how true it is but I heard from a board member of the reds at HT basically arl and news ltd put forward the clubs they wanted in the new nrl comp Then had some give an take on who was I. And who was out, both immediately and longer term. News ltd were still keen on a 12 team comp For 1998. Arl wanted nsw and qlnd clubs, as many as possible in. Sadly news owning perth, arl being pssed off with perth and news desire to move the club and license to Melbourne meant the end for us.

news ltd didn’t care about perth or Adelaide, small markets for them. They still don’t much. It’s why if we only run the game for the benefit of tv it will not become any bigger than they want it to be. In fact I very much doubt news ltd want Brisbane2. It offers them nothing and adds a competitor to one of their profitable businesses.

Last edited:

tri_colours

Juniors
RL has been mired with self interest and conflicts of interest it’s whole history. It made jamming a wedge between clubs and governing body easy, especially when the clubs found out what was transpiring with ptv deal that the arl was signing them up to. Weak leadership is always ripe for a coup. Not sure how true it is but I heard from a board member of the reds at HT basically arl and news ltd put forward the clubs they wanted in the new nrl comp Then had some give an take on who was I. And who was out, both immediately and longer term. News ltd were still keen on a 12 team comp For 1998. Arl wanted nsw and qlnd clubs, as many as possible in. Sadly news owning perth, arl being pssed off with perth and news desire to move the club and license to Melbourne meant the end for us.

news ltd didn’t care about perth or Adelaide, small markets for them. They still don’t much. It’s why if we only run the game for the benefit of tv it will not become any bigger than they want it to be. In fact I very much doubt news ltd want Brisbane2. It offers them nothing and adds a competitor to one of their profitable businesses.

News Ltd don't want a 2nd team in Brisbane. But that is only because of self centered reason. Thankfully they no longer run the game

The game at the outbreak of the SLwar had never been in a stronger position. Hence the takeover interest.

With all clubs acting in there own interest , then naturaly there is going to be some jealousy and discontent just as there is today.

Agree 100%, these are small markets that would give a national footprint but thought to be not worth the cost or bother.

Now you're starting to understand how it works.

Congratulations!

Maybe there's hope for you yet.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Maybe you could also consider the games needs rather than the broadcasters wants? Do you really think AFL brought in the Suns and Giants because TV wanted them or asked for them or even where asked about them beyond the added value of a ninth game content? Since 1997 the top level of the game has basically been run for the benefit of TV companies first and foremost. I had really hoped when we got our independence back that we would have seen change to that but no, we continue to just respond and react to Ch9 and New Ltd rather than strategically planning for our own benefit and future. Sht every time our exec leader stands up to them they force them to be sacked, We cant expand and grow the game because tv aren't interested (WTF?) we cant support clubs to grow their revenue bases from attendance and membership and corporate sales because TV continues to dictate sht KO times for fans. The game is littered with TV running the game even today. Sure lets move the GF to suit TV, sure lets mess around with Origin to suit TV, sure lets play on a Thurs and 6pm Fri, Sure lets not show the game on primary channels nationally, sure lets not show clubs into growing markets every week on FTA, sure lets not have FTA games on Saturday night handing AFL a massive ratings advantage, sure lets not have simucast games so more can be played when fans want to attend, sure lets just take it on the chin when our TV partners publicly bag us off ( and even worse agree with them!) and so it goes on.

Perth Red

Post Whore
News Ltd don't want a 2nd team in Brisbane. But that is only because of self centered reason. Thankfully they no longer run the game

The game at the outbreak of the SLwar had never been in a stronger position. Hence the takeover interest.

With all clubs acting in there own interest , then naturaly there is going to be some jealousy and discontent just as there is today.

Agree 100%, these are small markets that would give a national footprint but thought to be not worth the cost or bother.

The game was going gang busters but was still poorly run and full of weakness and self interest, and poor management decisions (ptv in this case) hence why it was so easy for News Ltd to come in with a take over. 1995 there were many clubs in severe financial distress. Thats not a sign of a strong competition.

And thats the big strategic problem. We are being driven by what TV wants. Small markets, (though I wouldnt call 20% (50% if inc Vic where the NRL continues to massively under invest) of population that small) not much value to Tv etc. Meantime our main competitor is well on its way with achieving its vision of being Australia's national footy code. The spin offs that come with that are massive, something we seem to not understand and have now probably dropped so far behind that can no longer catch up if we wanted to.

tri_colours

Juniors
The game was going gang busters but was still poorly run and full of weakness and self interest, and poor management decisions (ptv in this case) hence why it was so easy for News Ltd to come in with a take over. 1995 there were many clubs in severe financial distress. Thats not a sign of a strong competition.

And thats the big strategic problem. We are being driven by what TV wants. Small markets, (though I wouldnt call 20% (50% if inc Vic where the NRL continues to massively under invest) of population that small) not much value to Tv etc. Meantime our main competitor is well on its way with achieving its vision of being Australia's national footy code. The spin offs that come with that are massive, something we seem to not understand and have now probably dropped so far behind that can no longer catch up if we wanted to.

There was no clubs unable to pay there players, unlike a few years back in the current game .

And they but a team in Victoria, so were not talking about them. As for the rest, I'm afraid i don't share your doomsday sentiment.

I think the 'olden days' may have been remembered just a little bit too fondly. Nowadays I can watch my team and any other team i want. Not sit around , fiddling with radio antenna to get around the ground score updates every 15minutes.

Latest posts