What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WNRL Announce 2020 competition.

Dakink

Bench
Yes!!! Great to see the ladies game also running. The growth and potential is too important.

10$ Ferret

Staff member
Its is good. Pity its not a 6 week comp of rounds as it was planned.
Will also be interesting considering many won't be playing in state comps. The NSW HNWP will start but will only be 5 or 6 teams by the sound of it

siv

First Grade
Still only a finals TV filler replacing the old NYC pre finals games with only 4 teams

With Easts and the Warriors who had pulled out at outbreak of covid

Wonder who replaces them ?

10$ Ferret

Staff member
the Roosters and Warriors did not pull out, they simply made the point to the NRL how much money they (and the other 2 club) were losing each season and wanted the grant increased.
It was misreported (there is a surprise for you) and the inaugural 4 teams will once again take part this year

siv

First Grade
the Roosters and Warriors did not pull out, they simply made the point to the NRL how much money they (and the other 2 club) were losing each season and wanted the grant increased.
It was misreported (there is a surprise for you) and the inaugural 4 teams will once again take part this year

Interesting Souths and Cronulla said the same thing the year before

And were not invited to play

10$ Ferret

Staff member
Interesting Souths and Cronulla said the same thing the year before

And were not invited to play

Souths and Cronulla did not say the same thing.
They said they would not be putting any of their own money into it. Also the Souths proposal was so amateurish that even if they had offered to pay $1m they still would have been laughed out of the process as they were.

Anyway thats enough lets celebrate that they are running the comp again

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Souths and Cronulla did not say the same thing.
They said they would not be putting any of their own money into it. Also the Souths proposal was so amateurish that even if they had offered to pay $1m they still would have been laughed out of the process as they were.

Anyway thats enough lets celebrate that they are running the comp again
siv has been pushing this barrow for a couple of years now. Bit tiresome tbh

Dakink

Bench
Also noting that another stand alone Womens origin after the season. That's going to one cracker of a-game with a full WNRL season lead in. Friday night game. Hopefully we have full crowds back by then.

10$ Ferret

Staff member
I hope they run an U18s SOO along side the womens too this year.

Also Roosters announce they have signed Jamie Feeney as their WNRL coach, smart move I think

10$ Ferret

Staff member
I am looking forward to seeing the squads.
The NRL has almost stuffed up majorly as they want to put the girls in a bubble but the players can't afford it. These players have been playing outsidea bubble for months now and the NRL wants to prevent them from working. They really are moronic sometimes

mongoose

Coach
Hopefully the comp expands soon. Four teams just isn't that interesting unfortunately... I get that they want a high quality comp which is admirable rather than an amateurish sideshow like the AFLW who are happy to give contracts to girls who have never even played their game.

siv

First Grade
4 team comp would get more interest if they wore the

Kiwi
Queensland
NSW City
NSW Country

jerseys

Rather than trying to run the same comp in NRL kits

10$ Ferret

Staff member
4 team comp would get more interest if they wore the

Kiwi
Queensland
NSW City
NSW Country

jerseys

Rather than trying to run the same comp in NRL kits

Apart from the Kiwis, thats the national championships

10$ Ferret

Staff member
Hope so - there is the quality for it, just depends on the money I guess...

I think they need to look at running them apart from the NRL semis. I know sponsors want it run with the NRL semis because of exposure. This weekends game is a prime example. Not many that are going to see Souths and Parra are going to come early to watch the women. Not many people at all that just want to see the women's games have been able to get tickets as it was sold out.

So this weekend the women's games will get very few people watching at the game, I think the first will be lucky to get 200 as all the tickets have been sold to people wanting to see the NRL game
IF they were to run these 2 games stand alone they would get a couple of thousand at least.

Dakink

Bench
I think they need to look at running them apart from the NRL semis. I know sponsors want it run with the NRL semis because of exposure. This weekends game is a prime example. Not many that are going to see Souths and Parra are going to come early to watch the women. Not many people at all that just want to see the women's games have been able to get tickets as it was sold out.

So this weekend the women's games will get very few people watching at the game, I think the first will be lucky to get 200 as all the tickets have been sold to people wanting to see the NRL game
IF they were to run these 2 games stand alone they would get a couple of thousand at least.

Yea that's true - and I think ideally and in a post covid world the Women's games will be standalone. They will definitely be able to attract their own fans!