What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Origin 2020

possm

Coach
kerrrc1_0495.jpg

STATE OF ORIGIN

Kerr, Hunt named in Queensland Origin squad
Author
Michael Hillier QRL Media
Timestamp
Wed 7 Oct 2020, 05:04 PM

Queensland Rugby League is pleased to announce the first group of players selected in the Queensland Maroons squad for next month’s State of Origin series.

Maroons selectors have chosen 15 players from seven clubs who have completed their National Rugby League commitments in 2020.

The Gold Coast Titans have the greatest representation with four players – Jai Arrow, AJ Brimson, Moeaki Fotuaika and Phillip Sami.

They are joined by Kalyn Ponga, Edrick Lee and Hymel Hunt (Newcastle Knights), Valentine Holmes and Coen Hess (North Queensland Cowboys), Patrick Carrigan and Xavier Coates (Brisbane Broncos), and Ben Hunt and Josh Kerr (St George Illawarra Dragons); with Harry Grant (Wests Tigers / Melbourne Storm) and Daly Cherry-Evans (Manly Sea Eagles) rounding out the initial 15.

Ponga will consult with a surgeon tomorrow before a final decision is made on his availability.

Additional players will be added to the squad as further teams are eliminated from the NRL finals series.

Nine players have yet to make their senior Queensland debuts, meaning the Maroons are poised to inject a fresh wave of talent into the Origin arena under the guidance of newly-appointed coach Wayne Bennett.

“We’ve got an exciting mix of both emerging and seasoned talent in the squad so far and we’re really pleased to be able to announce this group today after what has been a challenging period for the game,” Bennett said.

“The players named in this squad today will have a small window to freshen up before commencing work with our high performance team to ensure they are in peak condition for the series.”

Queensland selectors will confirm the squad of 27 players after the NRL grand final on October 25, the same day the Maroons will enter camp to formally begin preparations for the series opener at the Adelaide Oval on November 4.

Bennett also confirmed a new addition to his support team, with former Cowboys and Titans coach Neil Henry returning to work in camp Maroon as an assistant coach. He replaces Justin Hodges.

Queensland Maroons squad members
Jai Arrow - Gold Coast Titans

AJ Brimson - Gold Coast Titans

Moeaki Fotuaika - Gold Coast Titans

Phillip Sami - Gold Coast Titans

Valentine Holmes - North Queensland Cowboys

Coen Hess - North Queensland Cowboys

Xavier Coates - Brisbane Broncos

Patrick Carrigan - Brisbane Broncos

Edrick Lee - Newcastle Knights

Hymel Hunt - Newcastle Knights

Kalyn Ponga - Newcastle Knights

Ben Hunt - St George Illawarra Dragons

Josh Kerr - St George Illawarra Dragons

Harry Grant - Wests Tigers / Melbourne Storm

Daly Cherry-Evans - Manly Sea Eagles

* Additional players will be added following NRL finals matches

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2020/10/07/kerr-hunt-named-in-queensland-origin-squad/

P.S congratulations to both Ben & josh on their selection.
Kerr will benefit greatly under the coaching of Bennett during this SOO series even if he is not selected in the top 17. Hunt will be as hooker which says a lot about his aspirations to play halfback for the Dragons in 2021.

possm

Coach
What does it say?
Hunt is a better hooker and more suited to the hooker position than he is a halfback. As we have McInnes we don't need Hunt and indeed don't need Norman as well. Getting rid of thses two we will have up to 2m extra available to spend on marquee players.

SBD82

Coach
Hunt is a better hooker and more suited to the hooker position than he is a halfback. As we have McInnes we don't need Hunt and indeed don't need Norman as well. Getting rid of thses two we will have up to 2m extra available to spend on marquee players

While I think you’re correct that he is more suited to hooker, and we would benefit from moving him on, I don’t think his selection at rep level tells us that.

Joey Johns was once selected to play 9. He was definitely more suited to the halves. Toovey as well. Cronk used to be used at 14 for the Maroons.

Out of interest mate, how would you move on Norman and Hunt? Do you think this is a realistic prospect? Given their overinflated salaries I can’t see anyone being interested, even if we carried a portion of the cost.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
I can't see many Dragons picked, if at all. It'd be around two months since their last NRL game.

I think Frizz will be very lucky to keep his spot, given the amount of more skilled options there. Aitken is a massive shout, hammy dependent. For mine Wighton plays 14 and Euie slides in on that left edge.

I can't see many changes, Keary pressing and Api is a smokey for mine.
Aitken wouldn't make the team if8 centres were selected
G
I
T = git
A= another
N ninkompoop
O =obviously .....really can't see where the hell you get this aiken philosophy I'm Scottish I like euan but seriously he has his limitations and if you can't see them go to Specsavers. .....

blue bags

First Grade

While I think you’re correct that he is more suited to hooker, and we would benefit from moving him on, I don’t think his selection at rep level tells us that.

Joey Johns was once selected to play 9. He was definitely more suited to the halves. Toovey as well. Cronk used to be used at 14 for the Maroons.

Out of interest mate, how would you move on Norman and Hunt? Do you think this is a realistic prospect? Given their overinflated salaries I can’t see anyone being interested, even if we carried a portion of the cost.
Alfie langer, Ricky Stuart, played hooker for the kangaroos, v great Britain, England test matches

Adolf_Spritzer

Juniors
EA pushing Wighton into utility? Okay it’s official, after that comment it is actually impossible to take Git seriously and this is just the rustling of our respective jimmies for his own sick pleasure

Or he is in fact EAs mum..

Draginzaaar

Bench
Hunt is a better hooker and more suited to the hooker position than he is a halfback. As we have McInnes we don't need Hunt and indeed don't need Norman as well. Getting rid of thses two we will have up to 2m extra available to spend on marquee players.

And how do you get rid of contracted players on big money?

possm

Coach
And how do you get rid of contracted players on big money?
When player managers and players learn that their future at a Club is likely to be limited to reserve grade, they soon scramble to find another club to avoid the devaluation of their market value.

Vaughan was under contract playing in the Raider's reserve grade. Many high priced players have moved clubs mid contract for a variety of reasons including Norman.

getsmarty

Immortal
lomaxz--201020pb-369.jpg

STATE OF ORIGIN

Lomax's Origin call-up under Freddie five years in the making
Author
Troy Whittaker NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Tue 20 Oct 2020, 02:01 PM

Zac Lomax's relationship with Blues coach Brad Fittler stretches back to when he was playing under-16s.

Lomax, who is part of NSW's 27-man squad to face Queensland in November, made his junior State of Origin debut under the guidance of Danny Buderus and fellow Blues great Fittler in 2015.

The 21-year-old St George Illawarra Dragons centre recalled being "pretty gobsmacked" when he first met the pair.

He played off the bench in a 10-6 loss at ANZ Stadium before twice representing the Blues under-18s with Fittler at the helm.

"They're unbelievable coaches and unbelievable players as well," he told NRL.com on Monday morning before boarding a bus headed to NSW's camp at a Central Coast resort.

"But I think the best thing about them is they're such good people. I have so much time for them."

They clearly have a lot of time for him too. Fittler has long been a Lomax fan, famously dubbing him 'The Gifted One' prior to his NRL debut in 2018.

So it would be fitting if Fittler gave him his first senior Origin cap.

"I think Freddie's just shown confidence in me," Lomax said.

"Hopefully I can repay him by competing on everything and being the best teammate I can be for his team. That's all I'm looking to do."

Lomax said he's felt "no pressure at all" from having the coach championing his talent from such a young age.

"I think it's just Freddie being a good fella as he is. I'm sure he has pretty high opinions of a lot of players here," he said.

The bond he shares with Fittler was on display in an emotional video capturing the phone conversation advising him of his Blus selection.

"It was the best call ever to receive off Freddie. I can't wait to be like a sponge and come in and learn as much as I can off all these unbelievable players," he said.

"I was at home in my house in Wollongong. But I had my three best mates down there with me and obviously my partner, Jess [Sergis]. It was unreal to have all them four with me. It was the best feeling.

"I called my family straight away to let them know and it was the best feeling ever. So stoked."

With Tom Trbojevic unavailable due to injury and Campbell Graham initially being overlooked, Lomax is among the contenders to start in the centres at Adelaide Oval on November 4.

remote.axd

Fittler looks forward to Bennett's 'mind games'

Dally M medal winner Jack Wighton is set to retain his spot while Clint Gutherson and potential squad inclusion Stephen Crichton have been touted for the vacant jumper.

Regardless of what eventuates, Lomax is already living out a dream being around the team.

"If I carry the bags and be the waterboy for the boys, that's what I'm looking to do. If I do get a game I'll be ready," he said.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/202...ll-up-under-freddie-five-years-in-the-making/

blacksafake

First Grade
lomaxz--201020pb-369.jpg

STATE OF ORIGIN

Lomax's Origin call-up under Freddie five years in the making
Author
Troy Whittaker NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Tue 20 Oct 2020, 02:01 PM

Zac Lomax's relationship with Blues coach Brad Fittler stretches back to when he was playing under-16s.

Lomax, who is part of NSW's 27-man squad to face Queensland in November, made his junior State of Origin debut under the guidance of Danny Buderus and fellow Blues great Fittler in 2015.

The 21-year-old St George Illawarra Dragons centre recalled being "pretty gobsmacked" when he first met the pair.

He played off the bench in a 10-6 loss at ANZ Stadium before twice representing the Blues under-18s with Fittler at the helm.

"They're unbelievable coaches and unbelievable players as well," he told NRL.com on Monday morning before boarding a bus headed to NSW's camp at a Central Coast resort.

"But I think the best thing about them is they're such good people. I have so much time for them."

They clearly have a lot of time for him too. Fittler has long been a Lomax fan, famously dubbing him 'The Gifted One' prior to his NRL debut in 2018.

So it would be fitting if Fittler gave him his first senior Origin cap.

"I think Freddie's just shown confidence in me," Lomax said.

"Hopefully I can repay him by competing on everything and being the best teammate I can be for his team. That's all I'm looking to do."

Lomax said he's felt "no pressure at all" from having the coach championing his talent from such a young age.

"I think it's just Freddie being a good fella as he is. I'm sure he has pretty high opinions of a lot of players here," he said.

The bond he shares with Fittler was on display in an emotional video capturing the phone conversation advising him of his Blus selection.

"It was the best call ever to receive off Freddie. I can't wait to be like a sponge and come in and learn as much as I can off all these unbelievable players," he said.

"I was at home in my house in Wollongong. But I had my three best mates down there with me and obviously my partner, Jess [Sergis]. It was unreal to have all them four with me. It was the best feeling.

"I called my family straight away to let them know and it was the best feeling ever. So stoked."

With Tom Trbojevic unavailable due to injury and Campbell Graham initially being overlooked, Lomax is among the contenders to start in the centres at Adelaide Oval on November 4.

remote.axd

Dally M medal winner Jack Wighton is set to retain his spot while Clint Gutherson and potential squad inclusion Stephen Crichton have been touted for the vacant jumper.

Regardless of what eventuates, Lomax is already living out a dream being around the team.

"If I carry the bags and be the waterboy for the boys, that's what I'm looking to do. If I do get a game I'll be ready," he said.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/202...ll-up-under-freddie-five-years-in-the-making/
The experience will do him wonders & by the looks of it he’s under no illusion whatsoever thinking he’ll be involved in any game. Seems like the sort of person who’ll listen to everything & take away what’s good for him.

Draginzaaar

Bench
When player managers and players learn that their future at a Club is likely to be limited to reserve grade, they soon scramble to find another club to avoid the devaluation of their market value.

Vaughan was under contract playing in the Raider's reserve grade. Many high priced players have moved clubs mid contract for a variety of reasons including Norman.

Vaughan was not on $1.2M. Who is going to pay that and $850K for Norman. I'll tell you who..........no one.

possm

Coach
Vaughan was not on $1.2M. Who is going to pay that and $850K for Norman. I'll tell you who..........no one.
Griffin will be a genius is he can lift the form of Norman and Hunt to a level that reflects their pay level. These to players alone are creating a huge blockage in our ability to fund good quality players.

I for one would rather see our young halves directing the team under the guidance of Griffin and his staff. We would then have the salary cap to recruit 3-4 first grade forwards and possibly a top line fullback.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
The experience will do him wonders & by the looks of it he’s under no illusion whatsoever thinking he’ll be involved in any game. Seems like the sort of person who’ll listen to everything & take away what’s good for him.
He better get ready though because an injury or two and he very well could find his way in the side at some stage. If there ends up being a dead rubber I could also see Freddy give a few blokes a run.