What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Former Panthers in the NRL

age.s

First Grade
Broncos must be the Italians.

Yeah I think so. Once the seat of a great power, now more interested in food and drink than projecting any real influence.

Roosters the Japanese. A mighty force contained on a small parcel of land. Robust economically.

Melbourne the Germans. A great evil, but one that demands respect for their professionalism and workmanship. Efficient and terrifying.

MugaB

Coach
Yeah I think so. Once the seat of a great power, now more interested in food and drink than projecting any real influence.

Roosters the Japanese. A mighty force contained on a small parcel of land. Robust economically.

Melbourne the Germans. A great evil, but one that demands respect for their professionalism and workmanship. Efficient and terrifying.
The Eels, the french, choke under pressure
image-0-02-07-18acd096249298aa4bb2514cf44a6c1e3c029da943e4e034f1c108f383368fc8-V.jpg

Jane Murray

Bench
https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/cronul...ross-nrl/b0f3739a-18f4-4a39-919e-8d43400b9ac6

Former Test and Origin star Matt Moylan is now unwanted across the NRL, reportedly unable to find a new club due to his bloated contract.

Moylan, 29, is on $850,000 per season at Cronulla. He remains contracted for next season, having played just 19 games in the past two years due to injury, and the Sharks want to move him on.

Despite Cronulla being prepared to cover nearly half his salary, Moylan's agent Allan Gainey told The Daily Telegraph that he'd "pulled out all stops" but "nothing's happening".

"I thought there would be a couple of possibilities but every club is in the same situation," Gainey said.

"They are nearly all trying to move on players before they look at others. Everyone's on hold. There might be a spot at the Wests Tigers for Matt but not until they can move Josh Reynolds or the others they are trying to shop.

"Look, Matt wants to prove a point. He's really popular around the group at Cronulla and it would be hard for him to leave but I've been trying."

https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2Fc6963093-570a-4646-be54-bfc934c5afa2

Sharks half Matt Moylan is tackled during a loss to his former club Penrith. (Getty)
Reynolds is also on $850,000 per season, while Moses Mbye and Russell Packer are other big-money Tigers being shown the door. Josh Dugan and Andrew Fifita are other players affecting Cronulla's salary cap, making similar money to Moylan.

Rugby league great Peter Sterling expressed fears over Moylan's standing at the Sharks earlier this season, saying he would struggle to regain at starting position either in the halves or at fullback.
Former Test and Origin star Matt Moylan is now unwanted across the NRL, reportedly unable to find a new club due to his bloated contract.

Moylan, 29, is on $850,000 per season at Cronulla. He remains contracted for next season, having played just 19 games in the past two years due to injury, and the Sharks want to move him on.

Despite Cronulla being prepared to cover nearly half his salary, Moylan's agent Allan Gainey told The Daily Telegraph that he'd "pulled out all stops" but "nothing's happening".

"I thought there would be a couple of possibilities but every club is in the same situation," Gainey said.

"They are nearly all trying to move on players before they look at others. Everyone's on hold. There might be a spot at the Wests Tigers for Matt but not until they can move Josh Reynolds or the others they are trying to shop.

"Look, Matt wants to prove a point. He's really popular around the group at Cronulla and it would be hard for him to leave but I've been trying."

https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2Fc6963093-570a-4646-be54-bfc934c5afa2

Sharks half Matt Moylan is tackled during a loss to his former club Penrith. (Getty)
Reynolds is also on $850,000 per season, while Moses Mbye and Russell Packer are other big-money Tigers being shown the door. Josh Dugan and Andrew Fifita are other players affecting Cronulla's salary cap, making similar money to Moylan.

Rugby league great Peter Sterling expressed fears over Moylan's standing at the Sharks earlier this season, saying he would struggle to regain at starting position either in the halves or at fullback.

mxlegend99

Referee
No club has money to spare because 3 good games is all it takes for clubs to jump at guys and throw insane money at them.

Ben Hunt and Kalyn Ponga reshaped the market value of players by signing on insane overs for their ability (Hunt) and experience (Ponga). This then had the effect of every player thinking if these guys are worth this i am worth more too.

Ponga proved value for money for Knights but it was a huge risk still. While Hunt is earning probably double what he's worth.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Off to the Super League Moyza!

Such a shame, he was my oldest Sons favourite player. He was devastated when he signed with the Sharks, poor little guy.

Now he’s all about Romey and Bizza!

Whino

Bench
I don't know what this means for the Naden Storm rumours. George Jennings is rumoured to be heading to Melbourne next year.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
I don't know what this means for the Naden Storm rumours. George Jennings is rumoured to be heading to Melbourne next year.

I’ve never really believed that story, I can’t see Nado moving that far from his home.

No doubt the storm are keen on him, but I doubt the feelings are mutual.

Jane Murray

Bench

BY
MITCH KEATING
-
DEPUTY EDITOR
OCTOBER 19, 2020

Canterbury look to have emerged as the frontrunners for Melbourne star Josh Addo-Carr as the Storm winger remains set on moving home to Sydney for 2021.

Despite being contracted for next season, Addo-Carr has pressed for a move north of the border while Melbourne plan to allow his release if they can find a suitable replacement in time.

Watch the 2020 NRL Telstra Premiership Finals on a Kayo 14 day free trial with every game before the Grand Final Live & On-Demand. Or, Telstra customers get $10 off Kayo per month for 12 months. Stream instantly!

Wests Tigers and South Sydney are both believed to be in the race for the ‘Foxx’, but it is understood that the Storm flyer isn’t keen on returning to his former club in Wests, while the Rabbitohs are relatively satisfied with their current outside back stocks.

According to The Daily Telegraph’s Phil Rothfield, incoming Bulldogs coach Trent Barrett is pushing hard for Addo-Carr, with Canterbury now leading the race.

“I think he’s going to the Canterbury Bulldogs,” Rothfield told Big Sports Breakfast.

“Wayne Bennett’s on record for saying he’s well-off for wingers and outside backs and I don’t think he’s keen on the Wests Tigers.”

A deal won’t to be made in the coming days as Melbourne prepare for their Grand Final against Penrith on Sunday.

“I’ve decided not to even think about it until after the grand final,” Addo-Carr told The Daily Telegraph.

“My manager is doing all that. He’s told me to focus on footy and I’m only thinking about Sunday.”

Canterbury winger Dallin Watene-Zelezniak could be a suitor to move to Melbourne to get a deal done for Add-Carr, with Melbourne playing hardball in negotiations so far.

Jane Murray

Bench
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/live-scores?match=484679282
James Roberts has played his last game for South Sydney.

Roberts has been told that his services are no longer required, despite the fact he is contracted to the club for 2021. The former NSW centre has accepted the club’s decision and is searching for a new home for next season.

Sydney Roosters are a potential destination, although Souths don’t want to release Suaalii to their arch-rivals.

Roberts followed coach Wayne Bennett from Brisbane to Redfern in the belief the seven-times premiership winner could unlock his best football. However, injuries and off-field issues have restricted the 27-year-old to just 18 NRL appearances in the cardinal and myrtle during the past two years.

The former Titans, Broncos and Panthers back hasn’t played since South Sydney’s round-six loss to Newcastle in July. He struggled during the COVID lockdown with life in isolation, missing the structure and camaraderie that training provides.

The man dubbed "Jimmy the Jet" was admitted to a rehabilitation facility for anxiety and depression, the third time he has sought professional help.

Speaking on the Refuse to Lose Podcast in May with Nine journalist Jake Duke, Roberts said he was constantly on the move during his childhood, spending time at 10 schools while residing with relatives and strangers. It created issues that have resurfaced in his adult life and affected his mental health.

"It's gotten really bad,” Roberts said. “There were times where I didn't want to live at some stage. There were a couple of times, and the alcohol and all those other things didn't help.”

When fit and focused, Roberts is undoubtedly one of the most potent outside backs in the game. The Kempsey product was named Dally M centre of the year in 2015, played three games for NSW during their successful Origin campaign in 2018 and is considered one of the fastest men in the NRL when fit.

The Knights are an option, but several other clubs are also in need of a strike centre. Parramatta are expecting to be without Michael Jennings after the veteran back provided a positive A sample to performance-enhancing substances earlier this month.

The Bulldogs also have money to bolster a back line set to welcome Raiders recruit Nick Cotric, but their immediate focus is on out-of-favour Rooster Kyle Flanagan.

The Rabbitohs have additional salary cap space after Ethan Lowe was forced into premature retirement due to a neck injury that required surgery. The former Maroons forward was under contract for next year but opted to end his career on medical advice.

Sport newsletter

The_Frog

First Grade
Apparently Parra have picked up another of our cast offs, Bryce has signed with them according to several media outlets
Titans would be paying some of his freight. Parra are renowned for signing players under those circumstances. Still, I hope he can resurrect his career.

Kilkenny

Coach
Titans would be paying some of his freight. Parra are renowned for signing players under those circumstances. Still, I hope he can resurrect his career.

I think we all wish him well. Personally, I don’t think his body or more importantly his head space is going to see him get anywhere near his best but certainly I hope he makes every post a winner.

snickers007

Juniors
I had a chance meeting with the great Royce Simmons on Saturday at a servo in the Blue Mountains. I said "G'day" to him. Told him I was a big Panthers fan, and jokingly said that he still owes me a beer after 91.

He shook my hand, turned to his wife and said "Looks like we've got another stop to make." So he followed us to the Ivanhoe in Blackheath where I was meeting some friends for lunch before a wedding, and Royce came in (his wife went window shopping) and shouted me a beer and sat down for a bullshit.

We spent about 20mins chatting about everything from 91, 03, and the current squad to my job, family etc. Such a genuine guy, super generous with his time, and even filmed a quick shout out to my mate on his wedding day on my phone.

If you ever get the chance, definitely have a chat with him.

Smug Panther

First Grade
I had a chance meeting with the great Royce Simmons on Saturday at a servo in the Blue Mountains. I said "G'day" to him. Told him I was a big Panthers fan, and jokingly said that he still owes me a beer after 91.

He shook my hand, turned to his wife and said "Looks like we've got another stop to make." So he followed us to the Ivanhoe in Blackheath where I was meeting some friends for lunch before a wedding, and Royce came in (his wife went window shopping) and shouted me a beer and sat down for a bullshit.

We spent about 20mins chatting about everything from 91, 03, and the current squad to my job, family etc. Such a genuine guy, super generous with his time, and even filmed a quick shout out to my mate on his wedding day on my phone.

Cracking story

Jane Murray

Bench

I've had a chat with Royce a few months back. He had a pop up shop in the Lennox centre, Emu Plains.

soc123_au

Staff member

I still remember getting an Autograph from Royce on a Saturday morning at the Mick Simmons sports store in the old plaza in Penrith. Would have been around 1981. He asked me if I played & when I told him yes & I was also a hooker he talked to me for a good 10 or 15 minutes. I would have been 9 or 10 years old. That Saturday morning cemented me as a Panthers fan for life. Before that I used to flip between Parra, Balmain & Penrith.

franklin2323

Immortal

That is a great story... Was no ego back then and it is refreshing unlike a few other ex players I have met

Latest posts