What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wk2 Finals: Parra v Souths GAME DAY thread (10/10/20)

Happy MEel

First Grade
Young halves generally do get paid on potential/promoted to the top 30 early as they are so hard to find. Reckon there is even a few in squads this year suggesting that - (not that I can provide evidence of their contract value). Even look at the fairly average half’s that clubs are willing to sign / keep
Sure, but there’s paying for potential and then there’s offering $650k to a half who hasn’t shown much playmaking ability.

I think Flanagan is overrated as well but he has much better stats than Drown. He was also dropped during the season. I can’t see him being on anywhere near Drown’s salary.

As I’ve said, Drown is a first grader but I don’t think he is necessarily suited to the halves.

Last edited:

yy_cheng

Coach
2 things. Cook and hazza grant and cam takea a few steps around the ruck b4 passing to a forward. The forward gets it on the advantage line.

We usually fire it out 10 to 20m to a player who gives it to someone steaming from the back fence.. E. G rcg, nrown, kafusi, peni et al

It means they have to make up the ground that the passes goes backwards and they are using more energy. We are much more puffed than the other teams

General Kicking... We have no real alternative except moses. Alot of the times he is either standing in the wrong position or he has a defender in his face, so he rushes a shit bomb. He doesnt have time to look up after kick what is appropriate. The defense knows its moses who will get the kick .

What some teams have done especially in the finals is too spread it to the centre who kicks. Canberra does it really well.

We need to put that into our game and mahoney to keep practising kicking from dummy half

We are not coached that well. Its like we are using v1 of the storms gameplan which is now probably v 15

Only in this game, we started giving away 6 agains on the first. All the top teams have been doing it for some time now.

We need to hire an assistant with innovative ideas or someone who just studies what the chooks, panfers, storm, souths, Canberra does to bend the rules

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Yes.
Cook was injured and didnt make it till late.
Api was a benchy

really, so those 2 get several years to develop but Mahoney doesn’t?

Cook was never injured, he just wasn’t good enough at 22, he basically went Steelers, dragons, panthers , Helensburgh, dragons, dogs, Souths to get a start.....

AP wasn’t permanent benchie until 23 or so.

Basically since Mahoney has been a permanent starter at 21, he has been in a side that has played finals 2 years in a row...

hindy111

Post Whore
really, so those 2 get several years to develop but Mahoney doesn’t?

Cook was never injured, he just wasn’t good enough at 22, he basically went Steelers, dragons, panthers , Helensburgh, dragons, dogs, Souths to get a start.....

AP wasn’t permanent benchie until 23 or so.

Basically since Mahoney has been a permanent starter at 21, he has been in a side that has played finals 2 years in a row...

Relax...
I just feel he can. Most improvement is in the first 3 or 4 seasons I feel. They can improve after that but chances are less likely.
If D.Brown is playing ar same level next season you'd also begin to wonder.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Sure, but there’s paying for potential and then there’s offering $650k to a half who hasn’t shown much playmaking ability.

I think Flanagan is overrated as well but he has much better stats than Drown. I can’t see him being on anywhere near Drown’s salary.

As I’ve said, Drown is a first grader but I don’t think he is necessarily suited to the halves.

not sure he is on $650k this year, I doubt it is, as he was already signed up from his junior days (why wouId we give such a big increase this year ?). But yes next year that is possible. So you have to factor in his first 2 years was probably on a fairly small contract (for a half)

If comparing to Flanagan then based on this year:

Flanagan , 4 tries / 11 TA, averaging 6 runs for 35 m (0.4 TB 0.1 LB), 31 m per kick (total 156 kicks), 92 % tackle success rate.

Drown , 4 tries / 5 TA, 12 runs for 111 m (3.2 TB 0.4 LB), 25 m per kick (78 kicks), 95% tackle success rate.

Yeah Flanagan is slightly better play maker but how much do you factor in he is playing for the Roosters? Is 2 years older? His partner is Keary? And Drown already has had 2 serious injuries in 2 years ?

anyhow he is already better defensively/running than Flanagan. Probably as good as any half. In another 2 years I reckon his kicking will get better along with his passing game.

Bandwagon

Staff member
We missed Fergo's runs getting outta trouble last night big time. I know he cops a lot of flack, and deserves it for some of his errors, but the guy consistently makes a 100 tough meters in hit ups or ruck runs, and I reckon we underestimate how important that is to the start of our sets.

hindy111

Post Whore
Maybe Moses should only get the ball on the last - he's been terrible for a while, now.

My issue is you need someone to calm guys down and game manage. At big times Reynolds put in brilliant kicks and forced drop outs. Moses failed too. That is where Norman was good.

Unsure who decided short kick. I feel Gutherson and it was waving the white flag. I'd understand with under 10 to go but not 16mins...

I still feel moving Moses if could land Burton would be a great play.

hindy111

Post Whore
We missed Fergo's runs getting outta trouble last night big time. I know he cops a lot of flack, and deserves it for some of his errors, but the guy consistently makes a 100 tough meters in hit ups or ruck runs, and I reckon we underestimate how important that is to the start of our sets.

160mtrs +
GJ was good.
Haze isnt a bulldozer type

Avenger

Immortal
being ruthless is good but who do we replace him with ?

You only replace him with someone better and no one has suggested someone better (only rookies after complaining about our own rookies ).........
Who cares? He plays like a rookie at 3 times the price. 150 games and he turns in an inept performance like that. They need to f**k him. I’d take Flanagan before him and he is a way better goal kicker.

Bandwagon

Staff member
What 20 year old half is getting paid as an established first grader? If he wants the kind of money he’s getting he needs to play to that standard, regardless of his age.

This article suggests he’s on $650k FFS. https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/12/03/dylan-brown-agrees-to-new-deal-with-eels/

To put that into perspective, Gutho’s on a similar amount.

Moses is only on $150k more and deservedly cops a hammering on here. However, golden child Drown has been just as ineffective in attack and he’s untouchable.

That kinda coin for Drown his a gamble on potential. and if you read your own source the 650k is for 2021 - 2023, this year it mentions an upgrade, but to what it doesn't say.

If the gamble pays off, we'll have him on unders in 2022 / 23 I'd reckon, and given where he is at the moment probably overs for 2021, that's swings and roundabouts.

Personally I reckon he is being coached to always think run first, then pass. Only kick when we go his side on the last. I don't mind that, along with his efforts in D, it gives him a solid foundation to his game, build that and the rest will just come with time.

I have no doubt, barring injury, he will be very good value @650k in 2022/23, that's a f**king long way from elite half money, and probably is about average for a decent half.

Avenger

Immortal
My biggest problem with Moses he didn't ice a kick into the in goal with no pressure which lead to a try and not once did he try for the sideline when we were losing the arm wrestle. He has no clue at what pace he wants to play at or how to lead a side to a win in an arm wrestle. 150 games and he's still just a running half IMO.
Yes but who teaches him to do those mid field bombs? Why the f**k couldn’t he see like the rest of the rugby league world that we were spent, had rookie defending on the edge and we needed to slow down the game by kicking to sides or finding touch.

like I said he has no feel for the game, he is a manufactured 7, he was always a running number 6 and has no smarts. Either he doesn’t listen or BA is as dumb as he is.

Tooooks

Bench
It took John’s 4 final series before he got Newcastle over the line. It also took the Melbourne group of Smith, Slater & Cronk about the same before they won one. I’m not expecting our 2 young spine players in Brown & Mahoney to be at that level yet. Gutho was in everything, he pushed a couple of pass that didn’t need to be thrown, and should have just grounded that ball in goal, but he was in the top 3 on the field tonight.

Moses... just fails to ice the moments that matter too often. I think we persevere in 2021 as there is nothing better available but unless we see some stability, consistency and leadership from him in early 2021, I think we start shopping.

Johns won a comp in his second finals series (correct me if I’m wrong).

Moses doesn’t have a winning mentality and can’t handle pressure, which shows in his goal kicking when he’s nailing kicks from the sideline then shanking an important kick from near in front. After last season, I thought he’d kick on and even go to another level but he just doesn’t have it in him.

Avenger

Immortal
We need to tell him that he isn’t part of the future and hopefully a desperate team like the Dogs or Brisbane take him on.

The Rosco

Bench
Not here to gloat. Though I really hope rhyno is feeling like shit right now.
On Mitch Moses . . . . you'd wanna hope he doesn't read this stuff.
Coz you don't want him near your team once he works out that he's not the pinup boy and nobody likes him.
He hasn't even deliberately tried to lose you a game yet.

Wizardman

First Grade
Some of you are harsh on Dylan Brown....he is a good talent.

On the other hand, you are entirely fair on Mitchell Moses. His sookiness will win you blokes nothing. It has taken a long time for you Eel fans to work out that he is not the messiah and just a naughty boy.

The penny has finally dropped. Upto Brad Arthur to get rid of him.

Latest posts