What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shits and Giggles - A Kiwi Team

Tongue

Juniors
No tests this year, but a team should be named nonetheless.

1. Tuivasa-Sheck, Roger
2. Nicoll-Klokstad, Charles
3. Manu, Joseph
4. Hiku, Peta
5. Rapana, Jordan
6. Marshall, Benji
7. Hughes, Jahrome
8. Bromwich, Jesse
9. Smith, Brandon
10. Warea Hargraves, Jared
11. Harris, Tohu
12. Bromwich, Ken
13. Tapine, Joseph

14. Tevaga, Jazz
15. Asofa-Solomona, Nelson
16. Tapau, Martin
17. Taumalolo, Jason

Who did I miss or was more worthy than others?

Blair

Coach
Good to see Jazz in there for a bit of high energy off the bench.

JT2 (Taumalolo) has put his hand up to play for the Kiwis again?

Johnson had a really good season. Where is he?

jaseg

Juniors
Good team

Taumalolo & Taupau not Kiwis any more, but Luai I think wants to play for NZ, and deserves a spot somewhere (just about put him in the starting side and move Hughes to the bench).

Then throw in Nikora or someone I guess for the last bench spot.

Tongue

Juniors
Hard to keep a track of whos playing for the Kiwis and whos not.

I thought of Luai too but omitted him on the basis of him playing for Samoa already.

SmashEmBro

Juniors
1. RTS
2. Fusitua
3. Manu
4. CNK/Hiku
5. Rapana
6. Luai/Brown
7. Hughes/SJ
8. Fisher-Harris
9. Smith
10. JWH
11. Harris
12. Nikora
13. Tapine

14. Tevaga/Hughes
15. Asofa-Solomona
16. Jessie Bromwhich
17. Paseka

JJ

Immortal
Can't agree with the "good on him", if he's always wanted to play for Samoa then he should never have played for the Junior Kiwis. The Kiwis and Junior Kiwis shouldn't be a stepping stone to the PI teams.
sure, but better than doing a Tonie Caroll, JT, Taupau, Fifita, Brad Thorn, Brent Webb, Nathan Fein etc etc

On the other side, the Pacific teams (in union and league) shouldn't be stepping stones to the NZ/Aust teams - in a perfect world, one nation ever... or a very lengthy stand down

Matua

Bench
sure, but better than doing a Tonie Caroll, JT, Taupau, Fifita, Brad Thorn, Brent Webb, Nathan Fein etc etc

On the other side, the Pacific teams (in union and league) shouldn't be stepping stones to the NZ/Aust teams - in a perfect world, one nation ever... or a very lengthy stand down
No issues with Brad Thorn, he was one country for life in, just two different sports :). Fein (eventually) and Webb fulfilled the selection criteria and gave good service so I have no issue with them. JT and Taupau are dead to me but they had fairly lengthy Kiwis careers. But Luai blocked the development of another NZ half, a position we often struggle in, when his intention all along was to play for Samoa. That's BS.

Are the PI teams really stepping stones to NZ teams? I guess some players will play for a PI team while waiting to play for the Kiwis, and in rugby some will play in the U20s for the PIs as NZ usually selects only older players for that team. But I think in most cases they were always going to represent NZ.

Even a declaration at the start of the year would be better so we avoid situations like JT and Taupau when they swap on the eve of a tournament.

Reactions: JJ

shinobi

Juniors
Players like Fus, AFB, Taumalolo are a no go and shouldn't be picked again, they have chosen their respective island nations and good on them.

Interesting though, with no tests on this year quite a few Nz born players declaring their eligibility for Origin, guys like Fotuaika, Junior Paulo, Moses Leota etc. Wish NZRL could lobby the ARL or whoever looks after Origin to relax eligibility rules so that Kiwi players are not ruled ineligible as these new rules seem to only help Australia increase its player pool while NZ misses out.

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Players like Fus, AFB, Taumalolo are a no go and shouldn't be picked again, they have chosen their respective island nations and good on them.

Interesting though, with no tests on this year quite a few Nz born players declaring their eligibility for Origin, guys like Fotuaika, Junior Paulo, Moses Leota etc. Wish NZRL could lobby the ARL or whoever looks after Origin to relax eligibility rules so that Kiwi players are not ruled ineligible as these new rules seem to only help Australia increase its player pool while NZ misses out.
Or NZRL work to create something that can potentially rival Origin down the line.

Pacific Four Nations, Fiji, NZ, Samoa & Tonga or Tri Nations or something. There will only be more and more PI's playing in the future. Could be something to look at.

shinobi

Juniors
Or NZRL work to create something that can potentially rival Origin down the line.

Pacific Four Nations, Fiji, NZ, Samoa & Tonga or Tri Nations or something. There will only be more and more PI's playing in the future. Could be something to look at.

Yep definitely. The tonga vs nz test last year had the rivalry and intensity going for it we need to build that up hopefully bringing fiji and samoa up too. Keep it same time as origin and build from there. Australia can muck around and stick with their 1 test every 2 years like they have been doing.