What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Redcliffe put their hand up

greenBV4

Bench
This all began when you ridiculed the idea of the Dolphins and 3 other clubs representing Brisbane.

I am very passionate about the BRL. When it is disrespected I stand up in defence of it.

Dolphins Leagues Clubs is one of the richest sporting clubs in the country.

Up The Mighty Phins
I think what he means is what is their revenue and annual profits? 100mil in assets is good to sell off if the club goes under but what do they have available on a day to day basis?

I think what he means is what is their revenue and annual profits? 100mil in assets is good to sell off if the club goes under but what do they have available on a day to day basis?
I cannot answer that as I don't have access to their records. What I do know is they're probably the strongest and most successful club outside of the NRL. Twenty years ago I was fascinated by their success on and off field and thought they would make it in the NRL.

Perth Red

Post Whore

exactly, do they make $2-3million a year surplus that they can put behind an nrl club or are they going to have to reduce their grassroots sport funding like some other LC’s?

I see they own the stadium, LC and supermarket next door, what other assets do they have?

it’s very unusual for a public owned LC not to have its annual reports publicly available?

Last edited:

ash the bash

Juniors
exactly, do they make $2-3million a year surplus that they can put behind an nrl club or are they going to have to reduce their grassroots sport funding like some other LC’s?

I see they own the stadium, LC and supermarket next door, what other assets do they have?

it’s very unusual for a public owned LC not to have its annual reports publicly available?

I noticed its very hard to find annual reports for QLD leagues clubs compared to ones in NSW. Have tried finding a Redcliffe and Easts reports for a while with no luck.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
SEQ as a region with 4 clubs by 2040 is not unreasonable...

Redcliffe Dolphins playing at an upgraded 25k stadium at Redcliffe up north
Brisbane Broncos 52k stadium in Brisbane city
Gold Coast Titans 25k stadium at the Gold Coast down south
Ipswich Jets 25k stadium at Ipswich out west

greenBV4

Bench

No its not. The debate though is as it has always been who misses out instead, and/or how many teams can the comp grow

Last edited:

I agree.

I am warming to the idea of the Dolphins being the "North Brisbane Dolphins". Add a team south of the river to be "South Brisbane".

Brisbane Broncos. Have the club develop strong ties with Brothers and Valleys so it has some connection with the traditional BRL clubs from their immediate area.
North Brisbane Dolphins. It can represent the northern suburbs and Moreton Bay Region. Ideally it would link up with the Devils.
South Brisbane??? I'd call them Scorpions if I was in charge, to give the team a spiritual link with Logan's defunct team and have them represent the southern and eastern suburbs, plus Logan.
West Brisbane can enter the fray after 2050.

No its not. The dabate though is as it has always been who misses out instead, and/or how many teams can the comp grow
Adelaide and Perth cannot miss out when they don't have any skin in the game. If they bothered to adopt RL in the same fashion as Queensland did over 100 years ago then they would have a case for inclusion at the expense of Brisbane 3 and 4, but they never did so they don't. Brisbane needs to be rewarded for its loyalty and passion, especially with fumbleball doing all it can to win over the next generation in southeast Queensland.

What incentive is there for the next generation of Queenslanders to stick with RL and shun fumbleball if the game starts favouring anti-RL cities like Adelaide and Perth over Brisbane

The NSWRL used its power to discriminate against the QRL for over 100 years, leading to the death of the BRL as Sydney clubs collected revenue from pokies since the 1950s and Brisbane's didn't ad they were forbidden in Queensland. Telling Queenslanders who've suffered enough from bias and indifference from down south that we're not to have rightful representation because power figures want teams in Adelaide, Melbourne and Perth but want Queensland to fund it, so Sydney can retain its 9 teams, is the ultimate insult. It reminds me of these do-gooders who stopped handing out awards to 1st, 2nd and 3rd place at school sports carnivals and replaced it with a "participation award" for everyone. All it does is deter people from giving a shit as there's no reward.

I think it is very offensive and arrogant for expansionists to say Brisbane should be limited to just 2 teams so Sydney can have 9 plus Adelaide, Melbourne and Perth.

ash the bash

Juniors

If you asked me for my ideal scenario in SEQ that would be it. Could have Dolphins and Jets play 2 games (Derby ones) at Suncorp as event games. Other 10 based at 23K Dolphin Oval and 25k North Ipswich Reserve. Go with Dolphins this round of expansion and maybe in 5-10 years go down the Ipswich road.

T-Boon

Coach
in a perfect world and a comp from scratch I would have no more than 4 in Sydney

Sydney in my opinion is an expansion area given there are so many sectors of the sydney population that the NRL and clubs have deliberately excluded through laziness and neglect. Sydney needs a stack of old clubs gone and a new team or two.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I agree.

I am warming to the idea of the Dolphins being the "North Brisbane Dolphins". Add a team south of the river to be "South Brisbane".

Brisbane Broncos. Have the club develop strong ties with Brothers and Valleys so it has some connection with the traditional BRL clubs from their immediate area.
North Brisbane Dolphins. It can represent the northern suburbs and Moreton Bay Region. Ideally it would link up with the Devils.
South Brisbane??? I'd call them Scorpions if I was in charge, to give the team a spiritual link with Logan's defunct team and have them represent the southern and eastern suburbs, plus Logan.
West Brisbane can enter the fray after 2050.

Logan is RL heartland and would be great to have their own team but I'm not sure it will happen. What is a crime though is that they no longer have a QLD Cup team.

Logan is RL heartland and would be great to have their own team but I'm not sure it will happen. What is a crime though is that they no longer have a QLD Cup team.
The Logan City Council screwed the Scorpions over in 1988 when they forced them to sign an inflated lease for Meakin Park. The Scorpions didn't even want to play there, with Cronulla Park their preferred venue. The amount they had to pay was greater than every other sporting club in the city. It bankrupted the club from their first season in the BRL in 88, making it near impossible for them to compete with the other cashed up clubs for players in the player market.

What pisses me off is how Meakin Park was pretty much gifted to the Brisbane Strikers soccer club in 2003 and now Cronulla Park hss been hander to fumbleball. When I tried to contact the bloke who is now mayor about putting a team at Cronulla Park in 2013 he never bothered to return my message. He was the councilor for that division back then.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Sydney in my opinion is an expansion area given there are so many sectors of the sydney population that the NRL and clubs have deliberately excluded through laziness and neglect. Sydney needs a stack of old clubs gone and a new team or two.

lol, no one is more than 30mins away from an NRL team in Sydney. I do agree though that the clubs that are there are certainly not tapping into all the markets they could in any sort of proactive way. probably why the avg attendance for Sydney is around 13k in a city of millions.

T-Boon

Coach
Every time I look at Brisbane on maps I think it would be perfect for a North Brisbane and South Brisbane split by the river. It would be a great rivalry.
Piss the Broncos off or call them South Brisbane Broncos.

greenBV4

Bench
Every time I look at Brisbane on maps I think it would be perfect for a North Brisbane and South Brisbane split by the river. It would be a great rivalry.
Piss the Broncos off or call them South Brisbane Broncos.
Broncos are based north of the river

T-Boon

Coach
Today I think Brisbane Dolphins is the best name. Sunshine Coast can have their own team in a decade or persuade a NSW team to move up there.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
The Logan City Council screwed the Scorpions over in 1988 when they forced them to sign an inflated lease for Meakin Park. The Scorpions didn't even want to play there, with Cronulla Park their preferred venue. The amount they had to pay was greater than every other sporting club in the city. It bankrupted the club from their first season in the BRL in 88, making it near impossible for them to compete with the other cashed up clubs for players in the player market.

What pisses me off is how Meakin Park was pretty much gifted to the Brisbane Strikers soccer club in 2003 and now Cronulla Park hss been hander to fumbleball. When I tried to contact the bloke who is now mayor about putting a team at Cronulla Park in 2013 he never bothered to return my message. He was the councilor for that division back then.

It really shits me that in QLD (and maybe NSW, I'm not sure) there seems to be the need to give equity to AFL whereas in the AFL states it's ok to openly give AFL a leg-up.