What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Christian Welch

possm

Coach
The lack of blooding & persevering with our juniors under the previous coach was nothing short of disgraceful.
Listening to Hook talk there’s no doubt that will change.
Always enjoy & appreciate your insights Smarty.
We have a good line of young backs coming through our pathways program but not so many forwards - especially props. Given that props don't really come of age until they are in their mid 20s, it would be very surprising if Griffin was relying on solving our problems in the forwards from within our ranks.

A minimum of two first grade experienced props and a 'like for like'replacement of Frizell is the minimum recruitment required in order to bring our forwards up to scratch. Of our current players, Vaughan, McInnes, T Sims and De Belin are the only forwards that can provide a competitive edge right now. Kerr, Blacker, Lawrie and Ford all need a lot of work if we intend bring them up to standard

I think we have reasonable depth in the halves and so the only position in the backline I feel needs attention is fullback. We do have depth for the fullback position however, the candidates (Ramsey and Schiller) are currently very inexperienced. It will be up to Griffin to make that judgement.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
We have a good line of young backs coming through our pathways program but not so many forwards - especially props. Given that props don't really come of age until they are in their mid 20s, it would be very surprising if Griffin was relying on solving our problems in the forwards from within our ranks.

A minimum of two first grade experienced props and a 'like for like'replacement of Frizell is the minimum recruitment required in order to bring our forwards up to scratch. Of our current players, Vaughan, McInnes, T Sims and De Belin are the only forwards that can provide a competitive edge right now. Kerr, Blacker, Lawrie and Ford all need a lot of work if we intend bring them up to standard

I think we have reasonable depth in the halves and so the only position in the backline I feel needs attention is fullback. We do have depth for the fullback position however, the candidates (Ramsey and Schiller) are currently very inexperienced. It will be up to Griffin to make that judgement.

Not convinced that Tariq Sims is still the player he was at his blockbusting best- lots of injuries and he's not young (31 by the time the season gets under way). Widdop was about the same age when he started to get recurring injuries to the same part of his body(shoulder) and it knocks your confidence around. It's only natural you want to protect that vulnerable ligament or joint.

This lack of reliable and experienced depth in the back row is one reason I wanted to move Vaughan, with his leg speed and evasiveness, into an edge role. Chucking the ball to him from kick offs and expecting him to smash into opposition forwards, for mine, is a waste of his talent.

Only one position in the Dragons backline for 2021 is settled IMO and that is Lomax at right centre. It's a giant jigsaw and a lot of the player pieces are promising but untried kids. Hook will be earning his money in 2021.

possm

Coach
Not convinced that Tariq Sims is still the player he was at his blockbusting best- lots of injuries and he's not young (31 by the time the season gets under way). Widdop was about the same age when he started to get recurring injuries to the same part of his body(shoulder) and it knocks your confidence around. It's only natural you want to protect that vulnerable ligament or joint.

This lack of reliable and experienced depth in the back row is one reason I wanted to move Vaughan, with his leg speed and evasiveness, into an edge role. Chucking the ball to him from kick offs and expecting him to smash into opposition forwards, for mine, is a waste of his talent.

Only one position in the Dragons backline for 2021 is settled IMO and that is Lomax at right centre. It's a giant jigsaw and a lot of the player pieces are promising but untried kids. Hook will be earning his money in 2021.
I'd say that T Sims is the best backrow forward in our roster at the moment. If JDB becomes available, then I would concede that T Sims may be the second best backrow forward but would be the best edge forward.

With no surgery schedule this off-season and with what can only be described as a tough training program to be conducted this off-season, I'm very sure Griffin will have T Sims back to his best by the start of season 2021.

T Sims is still under contract and has demonstrated his block busting ability in the past. If he fails to perform up to expectations, you can be sure Griffin won't be selecting him in first grade.

Puff

First Grade
Forwards play as a pack, sharing workload etc. I wouldn't judge one player as not being up to it, without considering the players around him. I am loathe to suggest Sims is done. However, when you look at the state of our pack as a whole, you can see why, guys like Tyson and Tariq probably haven't had the year they should have. Get them a set of teammates that aren't midgets and are hungry, and I am sure you will see more out of guys like Tariq. Unfortunately Tyson wont be here to see it.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
Forwards play as a pack, sharing workload etc. I wouldn't judge one player as not being up to it, without considering the players around him. I am loathe to suggest Sims is done. However, when you look at the state of our pack as a whole, you can see why, guys like Tyson and Tariq probably haven't had the year they should have. Get them a set of teammates that aren't midgets and are hungry, and I am sure you will see more out of guys like Tariq. Unfortunately Tyson wont be here to see it.

Tariq is one of the most frustrating players I’ve ever seen play. He’s built like a brick shithouse. Every now and then he is a world beater. Most of the time he is a plodder like the rest of our team.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Tariq is great and we also saw how good he can be. Don't judge the Dragons best players under the Mary regime. Next season is when we will hopefully see them play to their potential consistently and not play injured. These coaches hopefully will have more faith in the juniors and throw them in if there is an injury not let guys like Tariq etc play injured and not give 100% because of injury. Tariq had some pretty serious injury las year and it was not until Dragons were done when he was given a rest. This only made his injury worse and took longer to heal which took up most of his offseason.

possm

Coach
Tariq is great and we also saw how good he can be. Don't judge the Dragons best players under the Mary regime. Next season is when we will hopefully see them play to their potential consistently and not play injured. These coaches hopefully will have more faith in the juniors and throw them in if there is an injury not let guys like Tariq etc play injured and not give 100% because of injury. Tariq had some pretty serious injury las year and it was not until Dragons were done when he was given a rest. This only made his injury worse and took longer to heal which took up most of his offseason.
Take a look at him after the off-season. Griffin will have them fit and well so I am sure you will see the best of T Sims. I hope we recruit a couple of big first grade props and a top line edge forward to replace Frizell. I'd say the likes of Kerr, Blacker and Ford will also be much fitter and stronger.

possm

Coach
we still need that charge at all costs forward like we had with Weyman and even with JDB making teh late metres late in the count...........plus a f**king good kicking game which drives me f**king BONKERS every week
I hope to be pleasantly surprised when we finally learn who Griffin is signing. Today I learned that Hetherington is following Barrett to the Dogs and Matt Lodge has an option of a further 3 years at the Broncos - who by the way don't want him.

I'm sure Griffin knows what he is doing however, I'm going crazy in wait of some good news.

Still annoyed we mist the signature of Christian Welch.
His offloads are top shelf and is a big reason Jerome Hughes is carving teams up this year.
That's what we need in the middle, mobile big guys with good lateral movement and can create second phase footy.
We get this and you watch the young guys like Sullivan carve teams up then, Dufty as well. Even Benny Hunt plays better on second phase and unstructured footy.

Blood&Bandage

Juniors
Still annoyed we mist the signature of Christian Welch.
His offloads are top shelf and is a big reason Jerome Hughes is carving teams up this year.
That's what we need in the middle, mobile big guys with good lateral movement and can create second phase footy.
We get this and you watch the young guys like Sullivan carve teams up then, Dufty as well. Even Benny Hunt plays better on second phase and unstructured footy.
There’s no reason why Vaughan and Kerr can’t hit the line, draw in players and give a SENSIBLE offload to McInnes, Dufty, Hunt....

Dragons only looked dangerous last year when McGregors game plan wasn’t being followed....broken play.

I can’t wait to have a ‘real game plan’ and still have the players with ‘eyes up’ to take an opportunity when it arises.

Exciting times ahead!!!

Latest posts