What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Stadium Rebuild and other stuff

Suitman

Post Whore
Final piece of the puzzle in Parra Town Square has started construction - The Civic Centre.

Construction Kicks Off at Parramatta Civic Building

FRI 07 AUG 20 Urban developer

The City of Parramatta has commenced construction on its long-planned $130 million civic building at Parramatta Square.

Australian company Built will construct the six-storey building after being selected by council in February to deliver the project following a 12-month process.
Built is also constructing Walker Corporation’s 6 and 8 Parramatta Square, and has recently completed 3 and 4 Parramatta Square.

“Councillors first committed to the vision of a new civic building within a world-class commercial and cultural precinct in 1996 and we are incredibly proud to see their ambitious plan taking shape,” Parramatta lord mayor Bob Dwyer said.

The building was designed by French firm Manuelle Gautrand Architecture and two local houses.
The crystalline building will offer 8,000sq m of civic space while also featuring a large multi-coloured digital façade for public art projections.

The city’s historic Town Hall will be seamlessly integrated into the new civic building.

Despite the coronavirus pandemic sparking an economic downturn, construction has been business as usual at Parramatta Square.
Built national director Steve Boss said the firm was excited to be delivering not just a striking, place-making design but also a sustainably-focused building.
The building is expected to open in April 2022 in line with the remaining Parramatta Square precinct.

a812c585-8c32-417d-b11e-34a0b24d2ae7.jpg

496dcf93-1050-4146-8b8a-e095a94553c1.jpg

Construction Kicks Off at Parramatta Civic Building
The City of Parramatta has commenced construction on its long-planned $130 million civic, cultural and community building at Parramatta Square.
favicon.png
theurbandeveloper.com

Suitman

Post Whore
That is a cool looking building.

The original design was even more spectacular. See red outlines below.

It was dumbed down due to over-shadowing issues of the square.
I'll never understand why, in this country which has generally such a hot climate for the majority of the year, over-shadowing is such a huge issue. You'd think we'd be encouraging less exposure to the sun, not more.
See article below with stupid quotes highlighted in red. (a few hours on some days in winter!! FMD).
Lucy f**king Turnbull would never visit the place anyway.

parracityhall-png.384691

Original design....

19d2be1a39b635b4caea94fe9d63c6c3

Parramatta civic building forced to down size
Maryanne Taouk, Parramatta Advertiser
January 11, 2018 1:00pm

Parramatta Council will ask the Greater Sydney Commission to relax its stringent rules preventing overshadowing around Parramatta Square, to allow its plans for a futuristic new civic building to proceed.

The seven storey building will include a state-of-the-art library, council chambers, council offices, council services and meeting rooms for the public to lease out and cost about $89.5 million to build.

But the design may need to be redrawn to preserve sunlight in the square.

Under existing plans, the building may plunge parts of Parramatta Square into shadow between noon and 2pm during winter.

5 Parramatta Square will be the only council owned building on the square and may be seeing a 30 per cent reduction due to overshadowing rules

It complies with a council rule that allows shadows over the square in the middle of the day as long as they passed within 45 minutes.

But the design does not meet stricter standards introduced by the commission, not permitting any shadow.

Liberal councillor Steven Issa said if the council did not receive an exemption from the rules, the building would have to be downsized by 30 per cent.

“This is the only publicly owned building in the Parramatta Square area and these height restrictions will knock off two storeys from the building, which will mean that some services just won’t be possible,” he said.

4593af817105d6fc06ed6a04ae4f6764

The 4 and 6 building duo dubbed the Twin Towers in Parramatta square are not restricted by the GSC rules

The 54 storey 8 Parramatta square (Aspire) building will be privately owned, with council only retaining ownership of the town hall.
Cr Issa said parts of the library and front-of-house area would be sacrificed under a new design, meaning residents looking to pay a bill or get information may need to go elsewhere.

“This decision was made by someone who doesn’t eat, sleep and breathe Parramatta,” Cr Issa said. “I think Lucy Turnbull should come and talk to us rather than dictate what needs to be chopped.”

In a statement, Mrs Turnbull said the decision was made to “protect sunlight”.

“We must ensure the highest standards for Parramatta’s public places,” she said.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Isn't it to do with creating breeze ways and allowing sun to encourage growth, trees vegetation etc ?

Also in Winter it can prevent the footpaths etc from drying out, some certain aspects cant be modeled.

Suitman

Post Whore
Isn't it to do with creating breeze ways and allowing sun to encourage growth, trees vegetation etc ?

Also in Winter it can prevent the footpaths etc from drying out, some certain aspects cant be modeled.

That might be some of what is behind the whole of reasons given, yet it is still just nimby arguments, which I don't get. Go and stand in the current Parra mall in the middle of summer. It's a sauna. Absolutely no shade at all.
Did you read the report? It states that it is due to a few lost sunlight hours in the middle of winter. Come on, how does that make any sense, when for mostly 6 months or more of the year, the place is a heat bath.
It also stated that it is only parts of the square that would be in shade. It wouldn't be hard to walk to an area of the square that wasn't in shade.
Seriously mate, this is just nimbyism going to extremes.
A wife of a former Prime Minister who lives in a harbor side mansion in Potts Point influenced this decision.
FFS.

I bleed blue & gold

First Grade
Hey guys, can anyone give me any info about this coin.
Was it given out as a freebee to the first 999 people through the gates at the stadium? Did you have to purchase it? Anyone have one? Cheers.

Attachments

• A1A283C4-C083-4CBD-A06E-B47DCE2AFF30.jpeg
    A1A283C4-C083-4CBD-A06E-B47DCE2AFF30.jpeg
    169.5 KB · Views: 12

Gazzamatta

Coach
Hey guys, can anyone give me any info about this coin.
Was it given out as a freebee to the first 999 people through the gates at the stadium? Did you have to purchase it? Anyone have one? Cheers.
Thats a cracker Georgie. I was there that day with my Dad. L158 & 159, Thornett Stand. I certainly didnt receive one and we would have been there when the gates opened. I also dont recall seeing them offered for sale either.
As if I wasnt pis*ed off enough not winning a competition for 34 years now I am twice as annoyed I missed out on a medal.
Thanks for bringing that to my attention Georgie. Damn you man!

I bleed blue & gold

First Grade
Thats a cracker Georgie. I was there that day with my Dad. L158 & 159, Thornett Stand. I certainly didnt receive one and we would have been there when the gates opened. I also dont recall seeing them offered for sale either.
As if I wasnt pis*ed off enough not winning a competition for 34 years now I am twice as annoyed I missed out on a medal.
Thanks for bringing that to my attention Georgie. Damn you man!

Thanks for the info, mate.
It’s actually not mine, it’s my friends family’s and she was trying to get some info on it. I have some good Parra stuff though..:grinning:

Suitman

Post Whore
Here's a picture of what Parra looked like in 1988.

And here's a proposed picture of what it will look like in about 2 years with all the under construction work currently taking place. An amazing transformation!!
In the photo below, there's only 4 of the smaller towers currently completed.
There's also another more than half a dozen tall towers currently going through the planning process.

futureparra28-jpg.563930

Gronk

Staff member
Interesting that Walkers pulled back on the residential tower proposal. It confirms what most are saying that the apartment market in Parra has reached saturation and the oversupply will impact on capital gain potential.

Latest posts