What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 State of Origin - Game 1

Gazzamatta

Coach
If you're threatening the top four every year then you are improving. The club's reputation increases and your team develops stronger bonds and combinations. You also accumulate big game experience throughout your roster.

Don't get obsessed with coaching. It's not a magic bullet. It's a point of fixation for dopes who can't grasp all the intangibles that go into success. It's just another factor. If we can improve it with our budget then good, but it's not the difference between winning and losing any given game, not for any team.
Yes and I believe most intangibles are now far more advanced that what they were. We are in a good place yet there is something missing when a team looses concentration/focus and their form regresses rather than builds. The team needs refreshing and the same faces, the same voices and the same approach creates boredom. I just watched 100% Footy. Luai was asked about their approach to the week off and what the coaching staff have concentrated on. His reply "Ciro has been working us pretty hard on defence" or words to that effect. Again a Panther player refrences an assistant coach. Cleary is the manager. His assistants coach. Very different at our Eels. The good thing is that our approach needs to change and that will happen because it needs to. Sometimes less is more and I suspect its a lesson BA needs to learn.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yes and I believe most intangibles are now far more advanced that what they were. We are in a good place yet there is something missing when a team looses concentration/focus
That something is experience. We have so little of it. Without Jennings and Ferguson our most experienced big game player was Kane Evans (7 finals games):

3 Gutherson
0 Gennings
6 Blake
4 Takairangi
0 Dunster
3 Drown
5 Moses
6 Paulo
3 Mahoney
6 Campbell-Gillard
5 Lane
6 Matterson
5 Nrown
5 Smith
1 Davey
7 Evans
1 Stone

66 games worth of finals and Origin experience. Compare that to Souths:

3 Allen
11 Johnston
7 Graham
22 Gagai
1 Paulo
8 Walker
18 Reynolds
5 Tatola
15 Cook
11 Burgess
2 Su'a
1 Sironen
10 Murray
6 Nicholls
4 Knight
1 Cartwright
1 Koloamatangi

126 games, nearly twice as much big game experience in their team, and it showed.

Gronk

Staff member
How much finals experience does the Panthers squad have? I’m mid pie floater so I can’t do my own research.
Hi and thanks for calling.

The Eels lack a GF winner and need that experience in their list before they can challenge for the title.

The Penrith Panthers are young and confident and the innocence of youth put them in good stead to win the title.

strider

Post Whore
That something is experience. We have so little of it. Without Jennings and Ferguson our most experienced big game player was Kane Evans (7 finals games):

3 Gutherson
0 Gennings
6 Blake
4 Takairangi
0 Dunster
3 Drown
5 Moses
6 Paulo
3 Mahoney
6 Campbell-Gillard
5 Lane
6 Matterson
5 Nrown
5 Smith
1 Davey
7 Evans
1 Stone

66 games worth of finals and Origin experience. Compare that to Souths:

3 Allen
11 Johnston
7 Graham
22 Gagai
1 Paulo
8 Walker
18 Reynolds
5 Tatola
15 Cook
11 Burgess
2 Su'a
1 Sironen
10 Murray
6 Nicholls
4 Knight
1 Cartwright
1 Koloamatangi

126 games, nearly twice as much big game experience in their team, and it showed.
Please provide a breakdown of the number of pissants per team ... thanks

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
So the Panthers went into last week's final with 92 combined finals+Origin games. Less than the Roosters, but also red hot favorites, indicating their superior ability. In the game day thread merkins were asking how the Chooks were still in the game. The answer is that they had all that big game experience, while the Panthers didn't. They still had nearly 30 games worth more than us though.

The Souths side they will face this weekend is much better than the battered Roosters, but not as good as the Panthers. Souths are at similar odds to us last week. Is it because they are seen as chokers or that Cleary is a better coach than Bennett? No it's because they have proven their quality over 21 games. But the finals are a different proposition, with a lot more noise and bullshit that the players need to block out.

I'm keen to see how they go. In order I'm supporting Canberra, Penrith and Souths. I expect Melbourne to beat Souths in the grand final, which will suck.

Gazzamatta

Coach
Gutho is better than paps .... i reckon only teddy n turbo are ahead of guth
Turbo wouldnt be my pick. Way too injury prone.
While on SOO I reckon it would be a mistake to pick Keary and Cordner. Both effected significantly by head knocks. Cordner was a shadow of himself in their defeat by Canberra.

strider

Post Whore
Given only one or 2 of em are likely to get a run, i would have thought they would get reed in the squad for some exposure ... but i guess they prefer an old head around the camp instead