What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels in the media

Chipmunk

Coach
I believe we can apply for dispensation for that not to be included in the cap while he awaits judgement.

Do you have a source for such a belief? I recall I reading the other day, the Sharks were still carrying Xerri's salary cap until it is finalised, but would be given back dated relief at that time. Well back dated relief won't do us a lot of good if this drags on.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
In your opinion, do you think kidwell would offer more than flanno?
Another @IFR33K leading question, brought to you by @IFR33K. Reducing complex issues into ridiculously simple sound bites and hypotheticals since 2009.

Here’s what I will say.

If we are going to get BA more support than it isn’t and either/or. We need to look at the areas where we are deficient and find candidates that can assist with this. That might mean changing to roles of some to accommodate others.

There are two things that I don’t agree with regarding yours and @Hineyrulz’s’s Flanno narrative:

1. The idea that they wouldn’t sign him because BA is ‘intimidated’ and is trying to protect his job. My guess is his biggest fault is that he is a proud man who has a tendency to internalise issues and lose sight of the bigger picture. Bellamy has identified this as an area that he personally improved on over the years.

2. Immediately linking a hint of ‘cultural issues’ with ASADA and then saying ‘but but but but Elkin!’. Big logic leap there. We don’t know what that statement even means - it might just refer to the fact that they know Flanno, know what the club is trying to do and don’t think he will be a good fit. Have you ever recruited staff before? You can have a great candidate on paper that just doesn’t fit.

Just my take. I like that the club aren’t happy with this year and want to improve. With the shitty factions out of the way, I trust that they’ll make the right changes.

Incorrect

Coach
Do you have a source for such a belief? I recall I reading the other day, the Sharks were still carrying Xerri's salary cap until it is finalised, but would be given back dated relief at that time. Well back dated relief won't do us a lot of good if this drags on.
You are right Re the back-dating but this article from the SMH - https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/je...late-in-grand-final-week-20201011-p5641b.html - also says

"Like the Sharks with Xerri, the Eels could have salary cap dispensation backdated once Jennings' case runs its course, and the club has determined it will provide necessary support to the premiership-winning centre.

But whether they will be able to bring in a replacement on the roster will be determined in coming months."

The part in bold may be where I have misinterpreted. I took that to mean that the NRL will decide in "coming months" whether any replacement brought in for Jennings spot in the roster would see Jennings' salary not counted as part of the cap...

Chipmunk

Coach
I wouldn’t say buy 10, we will obviously upgrade a few youngsters as well

Yes, but whether we buy some or upgrade, we still have to pay those 10 players a minimum amount, so we have to pay 4 of them I believe $85k each (I suspect some of the ones we have already signed are taking up some of these slots though) and the other 6 at least $105k each, so that is a minimum of $970k, but likely more, probably $1 million (assuming a couple of $85k slots are already taken). The 11 we let go probably took up about $1.5 million though, so there is the ability to probably get a couple of $300k-$325k players.

If you can get access to Jenko's salary ASAP this will also help, but not sure that will happen.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
It would need to be an improvement on 2020.
What would an improvement look like? Winning more games during the season? Winning a finals match? Consider this: we only lost to Melbourne (12 points) and Souths (14 points) in the finals. If Souths smash Penrith and Melbourne smash the Raiders this weekend it could be argued that we would have beaten any of the other five teams. We won the third most games during the regular season despite having the sixth best points differential. I reckon there are five squads better than ours, but we have been punching above our weight.

So what would an improvement look like? For there to only be four (or fewer) squads better than ours? That's out of Arthur's hands. For us to beat better teams than ours in the finals? It would be awesome but it's unfair to expect us to win a finals match as underdogs. This year was as good as we could have done IMO. Next year it might go the same way and not be anyone's fault. We overachieved this year and were unlucky to play better teams twice in the finals. If it happens again next year it won't be the coach's fault.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
What would an improvement look like? Winning more games during the season? Winning a finals match? Consider this: we only lost to Melbourne (12 points) and Souths (14 points) in the finals. If Souths smash Penrith and Melbourne smash the Raiders this weekend it could be argued that we would have beaten any of the other five teams. We won the third most games during the regular season despite having the sixth best points differential. I reckon there are five squads better than ours, but we have been punching above our weight.

So what would an improvement look like? For there to only be four (or fewer) squads better than ours? That's out of Arthur's hands. For us to beat better teams than ours in the finals? It would be awesome but it's unfair to expect us to win a finals match as underdogs. This year was as good as we could have done IMO. Next year it might go the same way and not be anyone's fault. We overachieved this year and were unlucky to play better teams twice in the finals. If it happens again next year it won't be the coach's fault.
I feel that we have a window and can improve with smarter coaching and some clever recruiting to improve our squad. So does the club as evidenced by recent media and comments from people with sources.

It’s subjective, but improvement to me is ultimately getting closer to the GF as that’s what they all play for. If that doesn’t happen next year then I think the club is within its rights to explore other coaching options. Proven performers though - not half of the shit muppets that people on here have been suggesting.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yes, but whether we buy some or upgrade, we still have to pay those 10 players a minimum amount, so we have to pay 4 of them I believe $85k each (I suspect some of the ones we have already signed are taking up some of these slots though) and the other 6 at least $105k each, so that is a minimum of $970k, but likely more, probably $1 million (assuming a couple of $85k slots are already taken). The 11 we let go probably took up about $1.5 million though, so there is the ability to probably get a couple of $300k-$325k players.

If you can get access to Jenko's salary ASAP this will also help, but not sure that will happen.
I'd say that there would be top 17 players at every club only on about $200k. It's inevitable given the handful of $700k+ stars every club would have. Therefore a player on $300k is at least a solid first grader. Certainly an upgrade on the typical merkin on $100k or so.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I feel that we have a window and can improve with smarter coaching and some clever recruiting to improve our squad. So does the club as evidenced by recent media and comments from people with sources.

It’s subjective, but improvement to me is ultimately getting closer to the GF as that’s what they all play for. If that doesn’t happen next year then I think the club is within its rights to explore other coaching options. Proven performers though - not half of the shit muppets that people on here have been suggesting.
By 'window' are you saying we have a squad that should be paying less than $2 against anyone in the finals?

Gazzamatta

Coach
Just my take. I like that the club aren’t happy with this year and want to improve. With the shitty factions out of the way, I trust that they’ll make the right changes.[/QUOTE]
Tripe then you nailed it Gutful. Less is more sometimes but you eventually got there. One Attaboy. :wink:

IFR33K

Coach
Another @IFR33K leading question, brought to you by @IFR33K. Reducing complex issues into ridiculously simple sound bites and hypotheticals since 2009.

Here’s what I will say.

If we are going to get BA more support than it isn’t and either/or. We need to look at the areas where we are deficient and find candidates that can assist with this. That might mean changing to roles of some to accommodate others.

There are two things that I don’t agree with regarding yours and @Hineyrulz’s’s Flanno narrative:

1. The idea that they wouldn’t sign him because BA is ‘intimidated’ and is trying to protect his job. My guess is his biggest fault is that he is a proud man who has a tendency to internalise issues and lose sight of the bigger picture. Bellamy has identified this as an area that he personally improved on over the years.

2. Immediately linking a hint of ‘cultural issues’ with ASADA and then saying ‘but but but but Elkin!’. Big logic leap there. We don’t know what that statement even means - it might just refer to the fact that they know Flanno, know what the club is trying to do and don’t think he will be a good fit. Have you ever recruited staff before? You can have a great candidate on paper that just doesn’t fit.

Just my take. I like that the club aren’t happy with this year and want to improve. With the shitty factions out of the way, I trust that they’ll make the right changes.

I was after a yes or no answer. But thanks anyway

IFR33K

Coach

Here’s what I will say.

And merkin I’ve never said BA is intimidated by hiring flanno or anyone. All I’ve said is, IMO we can do better than
Someone like kidwell.

As for elkin, if we’re happy to sign him then say flanno doesn’t suit our culture, it makes little sense. Especially when we cheated too.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
And merkin I’ve never said BA is intimidated by hiring flanno or anyone. All I’ve said is, IMO we can do better than
Someone like kidwell.
Apologies if you didn’t specifically say that about BA. Plenty of others, including Hineyrulz have which is why I also specifically mentioned him.

As for elkin, if we’re happy to sign him then say flanno doesn’t suit our culture, it makes little sense. Especially when we cheated too.
I can’t have explained my position any clearer. Culture is a broad word. I don’t know why you have only honed in on the ASADA thing. It could have nothing to do with that.

Latest posts