What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Patrick Herbert

Overseas dragon

Juniors
But Millward and Mary are doing a great job. Departing, Nightingale, Macdonald, Garrick and Herbert and replacing them with Pereira, Ravalawa, Maragnta and Pearson. Let's just hope that Field and Saab do not go the same way. I'd like to see a more dynamic first grade back five comprising:

1. Dufty/Field
2. Saab
3. Lomax
4. Roberts
5. Oates

For season 2020, let go of Aitken, Lafai, Ravalawa and Pearson and promote some of our young guns to the CC backline.

Does anybody on here think Millward could manage this?
Let's not blame Millard too much in this regard. We all know if Mary leaves talent in the lower grades and chooses not to at least kick the tyres, then Millward has no chance of keeping guys like Herbert and Garrick.Nightingale didn't he retire what's that got to do with Millward.

Last edited:

possm

Coach
Herbert would be pretty handy right now...7 conversions and a try this round....Yet not good enough to be picked for 1st grade ............LOL
So who is held accountable for the decision to let go Herbert and Garrick?
Who will be held accountable for the decision to not extend Robson?

Dragonslayer

First Grade
So who is held accountable for the decision to let go Herbert and Garrick?
Who will be held accountable for the decision to not extend Robson?

If you read the story about Herbert he left for family reasons, his sister died and he basically needed to go home to be with the rest of his family, he was initially only on a train and trial contract with the Warriors, so you can see clearly it was a family related issue, nothing to do with re-signing, he was always going once his sister passed away.

Garrick was seen to be deficient in defense, and still is, he was let go through the coach not wanting him in the squad for that reason. Again, he was initially signed by Manly only on a 1yr deal.

As far as Robson is concerned, apart from the rumours, has his departure been confirmed 100%?

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/05/16...ging-calls-that-shaped-patrick-herberts-rise/

BennyV

Referee
If you read the story about Herbert he left for family reasons, his sister died and he basically needed to go home to be with the rest of his family, he was initially only on a train and trial contract with the Warriors, so you can see clearly it was a family related issue, nothing to do with re-signing, he was always going once his sister passed away.

Garrick was seen to be deficient in defense, and still is, he was let go through the coach not wanting him in the squad for that reason. Again, he was initially signed by Manly only on a 1yr deal.

As far as Robson is concerned, apart from the rumours, has his departure been confirmed 100%?

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/05/16...ging-calls-that-shaped-patrick-herberts-rise/
It says no such thing - in fact, it says that his manager was in discussion with several clubs and Warriors were the ones to get back to him.

AyiosYiorgos

Coach

He was actually promised a 3 year deal at Manly then Barrett had the fallout, Hasler gave a 1 year deal and now he has signed for a further 2 years...

possm

Coach
Garrick is a genius compared to what we have.
Just imagine the amount of time and money spent on the juniors who do make it to first grade. To simply let them go for whatever reason seems to me to be a waste. Sure our development coaches could focus on these players and identify their potential for first grade before they are retained and funnelled through our system.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
McGregor...because he doesn't pick them in the top grade.

I don't think most people realise this and how hard it would be for Millward to do his job? If Mary doesn't pick a junior who demands first grade or is at least capable, then what hope has Millward got of retaining him when another club offers them a first grade spot. Other clubs are not stupid, they sniff around and if the see a top junior is being ignored by the coach, they approach them and offer them a first grade spot and some extra cash and they are gone. Would you hang around if it was you and you were offered a FG spot and cash knowing the coach won't pick you?

The way I see it Millward got Lomax to sign a 5 or was it 6 year deal at the time he was getting dicked around and playing multiple positions by Mary. That was a great deal because teams would have sniffed around for sure and he would have been tempted to leave. Only after that he got a regular run. Garrick and Herbert left because of Mary's love for Lafai. One of those 2 should have been in the centres for him ages ago.

True_Believer

Juniors
I don't think most people realise this and how hard it would be for Millward to do his job? If Mary doesn't pick a junior who demands first grade or is at least capable, then what hope has Millward got of retaining him when another club offers them a first grade spot. Other clubs are not stupid, they sniff around and if the see a top junior is being ignored by the coach, they approach them and offer them a first grade spot and some extra cash and they are gone. Would you hang around if it was you and you were offered a FG spot and cash knowing the coach won't pick you?

The way I see it Millward got Lomax to sign a 5 or was it 6 year deal at the time he was getting dicked around and playing multiple positions by Mary. That was a great deal because teams would have sniffed around for sure and he would have been tempted to leave. Only after that he got a regular run. Garrick and Herbert left because of Mary's love for Lafai. One of those 2 should have been in the centres for him ages ago.

This is exactly how I see it. Millward isn't perfect, but when you look at our recruitment before him, they also made dud signings and let go quality players. It's the nature of the business.

However, as you point out, the fact Mary stuck with certain players leads me to believe other players felt they had to look elsewhere to get a chance. A recruitment manager promising a chance at first grade when there was no chance of the coach changing wouldn't have swayed their mind one bit.

Inisai Toga

Juniors

Agree, I don’t share the criticisms aimed at Millward at all. In fact, I am often left quite impressed with the way he articulates his thoughts. Like you say hardest job in the world recruiting through the McGregor years and the Lomax signing is to be applauded, particularly in light of how long it took him to be given some regular first grade experience in the Centres despite his obvious talents.

Last edited:

BLM01

First Grade
This is exactly how I see it. Millward isn't perfect, but when you look at our recruitment before him, they also made dud signings and let go quality players. It's the nature of the business.

However, as you point out, the fact Mary stuck with certain players leads me to believe other players felt they had to look elsewhere to get a chance. A recruitment manager promising a chance at first grade when there was no chance of the coach changing wouldn't have swayed their mind one bit.

Correct and I will assure you despite media speculation Mary was not involved in recruitment was BS.
Every recruitment officer (Millward) gets told by the coach (Mary) what type / sort of player they are missing and looking for and who they dont see for the future.
Yes Mary might not throw names out there of who to target but when Millward thought he found what he was looking for it would be run past Mary to agree for the contract to be offered.
Mary's focus on the wrong type of players to add or cut to/from our squad was most of the problem....some of Millward's targets and finds that he comes up with and how much to offer to get him whilst balancing the books was the smaller part of the problem

Example. Widdop leaves and put them on a spot. Mary says go find me an established experienced 5/8th that is availavble to replace him. Corey's manage rings funnily enough as been told to look elsewhere from Parramatta. Mary says yep he will do..seemed like a good idea to Millward too.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Example. Widdop leaves and put them on a spot. Mary says go find me an established experienced 5/8th that is availavble to replace him. Corey's manage rings funnily enough as been told to look elsewhere from Parramatta. Mary says yep he will do..seemed like a good idea to Millward too.
Didn’t we sign Snoreman before Widdop announced he was leaving?

BLM01

First Grade
Didn’t we sign Snoreman before Widdop announced he was leaving?
Not before he asked for a release and then denied he was going anywhere and then said the carefully stated words that he was committed to the Dragons for this year (i.e. 2019) which was not commtting to fulfil the rest of his contract. In fact we probably did sign Norman after he announced he would be departing at the end of the year..makes no difference Mary was desperate for a 5/8th after 2019 anyway.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Not before he asked for a release and then denied he was going anywhere and then said the carefully stated words that he was committed to the Dragons for this year (i.e. 2019) which was not commtting to fulfil the rest of his contract. In fact we probably did sign Norman after he announced he would be departing at the end of the year..makes no difference Mary was desperate for a 5/8th after 2019 anyway.
Ah okay..

Makes more sense now..

Still, one of the worst signings for our club since Luke McDougall..

BLM01

First Grade
Ah okay..

Makes more sense now..

Still, one of the worst signings for our club since Luke McDougall..
Oh Luke was just below average at the time.
I reckon I have a few equal or better
Mark Ioane, Luke Page, Ben Kusto, Nathan Long
and getting Michael Henderson, Beau Henry back from the Titans..Doust classics! (fitted the ex Dragon player mould)
Theres a lot more but we have been down that road before on previous threads.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Oh Luke was just below average at the time.
I reckon I have a few equal or better
Mark Ioane, Luke Page, Ben Kusto, Nathan Long
and getting Michael Henderson, Beau Henry back from the Titans..Doust classics! (fitted the ex Dragon player mould)
Theres a lot more but we have been down that road before on previous threads.
Ben Rogers doesn’t just take the cake for worst signing.

He takes it, lights the candles on the cake, and then blows them out with a fart.