What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PF2 Panthers vs Rabbits

snickers007

Juniors
So I'm a bit worried about this weekend's game.

Every Monday, I dress my 18 month old daughter for daycare. Sometime around the restart of the season, I introduced the 'Socks of victory' - basically wearing Panthers socks every Monday. I'm not sure if it started off as a "good luck for this week's game" thing or a "we won last week, let's celebrate" thing - but we did this for at least 12 - 13 weeks straight - and we kept winning.

Fast forward to our victory over the Roosters in QF1. The Monday following was a public holiday - thus no daycare, and no 'Socks of victory'.
And this past Monday, was 'school photos', so we dressed her up nice (again, no Panthers socks).

I'm not overly superstitious (more than a little OCD though) - but 2020 has been a weird year. And regardless of whether our little ritual was in preparation for the upcoming game, or celebrating the last game, we've broken both streaks in the lead up to our most important game yet.

The worst thing is, that my daughter is a member of both Panthers and the Rabbitohs. So she wins either way.

So if we lose this weekend, I'm sorry y'all. :oops:

franklin2323

Immortal
Basically they suck at the arm wrestle. Get them into the grind of set for set football.

Easier said then done with the new rules. Just have to be set up to defend their strength.

They know they can't match us in the pack... So they will go around us

Black Magik

Juniors

Every Monday, I dress my 18 month old daughter for daycare. Sometime around the restart of the season, I introduced the 'Socks of victory' - basically wearing Panthers socks every Monday. I'm not sure if it started off as a "good luck for this week's game" thing or a "we won last week, let's celebrate" thing - but we did this for at least 12 - 13 weeks straight - and we kept winning.

Fast forward to our victory over the Roosters in QF1. The Monday following was a public holiday - thus no daycare, and no 'Socks of victory'.
And this past Monday, was 'school photos', so we dressed her up nice (again, no Panthers socks).

I'm not overly superstitious (more than a little OCD though) - but 2020 has been a weird year. And regardless of whether our little ritual was in preparation for the upcoming game, or celebrating the last game, we've broken both streaks in the lead up to our most important game yet.

The worst thing is, that my daughter is a member of both Panthers and the Rabbitohs. So she wins either way.

Phew...that eliminates my change in tooth brush direction as the reason for losing :)

WestyLife

First Grade
Easier said then done with the new rules. Just have to be set up to defend their strength.

They know they can't match us in the pack... So they will go around us

Definitely. Though I guess it's to be expected that a prelim has very little margin for error.

WestyLife

First Grade
As with Souffs and Parra. The difference was an intercept and 2 tries off kicking errors.

Doesn't take much to be behind in the scoreboard

At least on form Panthers have more control than the Eels did. They seemed to expect the game winning try off every play. Panthers play with a sense of calm and patience waiting for the moment.

tripster

Juniors

Get those socks on her asap please!!!!!

Hooked

Juniors

Don't worry I am still on a streak. I haven't had a haircut since March/April and I have barely trimmed up my beard since then either. My face is like 2 eyes and nose sticking out in a big ball of hair.
I am superstitious bastard.

I keep getting ribbed but I will not get a haircut or trim the beard until the year is over.

franklin2323

Immortal
At least on form Panthers have more control than the Eels did. They seemed to expect the game winning try off every play. Panthers play with a sense of calm and patience waiting for the moment.

That is the big difference between us and other teams

Original Name

Juniors
You'd expect those same tactics are coming this week
Yep, the only teams that wouldn't target him throughout the year are poorly coached considering he had a lot of trouble early in the year against the Storm, Dragons and Bunnies second rowers in the first couple rounds.

franklin2323

Immortal
Yep, the only teams that wouldn't target him throughout the year are poorly coached considering he had a lot of trouble early in the year against the Storm, Dragons and Bunnies second rowers in the first couple rounds.

Capewell will help a bit but for me that is where we win or lose the game

betcats

Referee
Backrowers getting at halves has been a staple of the game for as long as Ive been watching it. Ive got no doubt they looked at those two roosters tries through Luai and identified what went wrong. At the end of the day all Jerome can do if he is stuck one on one is get his body in front and try and hang on till the help gets there, unfortunately he isnt close to Nathan in denfence but most halves are not. What we really needed to do better against the roosters was limit those chances to get one on one close to our line. The Tedesco try came off the back off a penalty(by Luai I think) for rushing out of the line down at the roosters end.

betcats

Referee
Re Kikau..he is definitely a huge loss, even when he is having a quiet game the defence constantly worrying about him which creates chances, its a huge luxury but Capewell is a try scoring back rower so he can add plenty to our team. He scored one on the right running off Cleary in that game before he got hurt and then hes scored a few on the left when he has got a run since coming back. He has great timing on his runs whether he is hitting a hole or chasing a kick, he is a rep quality back rower for sure. Had he of been born in NSW and stayed fit all year and held down his starting spot he would be in the mix for NSW origin i think, Maybe not in the team but definitely an option. He should be a shoe in for QLD.

franklin2323

Immortal
Re Kikau..he is definitely a huge loss, even when he is having a quiet game the defence constantly worrying about him which creates chances, its a huge luxury but Capewell is a try scoring back rower so he can add plenty to our team. He scored one on the right running off Cleary in that game before he got hurt and then hes scored a few on the left when he has got a run since coming back. He has great timing on his runs whether he is hitting a hole or chasing a kick, he is a rep quality back rower for sure. Had he of been born in NSW and stayed fit all year and held down his starting spot he would be in the mix for NSW origin i think, Maybe not in the team but definitely an option. He should be a shoe in for QLD.

Different types of players but Capewell has a few tries and even offers a kick. He is a better defender so overall the loss is minimal

maple_69

Bench
Backrowers getting at halves has been a staple of the game for as long as Ive been watching it. Ive got no doubt they looked at those two roosters tries through Luai and identified what went wrong. At the end of the day all Jerome can do if he is stuck one on one is get his body in front and try and hang on till the help gets there, unfortunately he isnt close to Nathan in denfence but most halves are not. What we really needed to do better against the roosters was limit those chances to get one on one close to our line. The Tedesco try came off the back off a penalty(by Luai I think) for rushing out of the line down at the roosters end.

Rewatching the tries we conceded against the Chooks, every one except the kick that wasn’t cleaned up, was scored on the back of retreating defence allowing the Chooks to isolate guys. Normally we are slowing that ruck down and then rushing up as a unit and those plays can’t happen.

betcats

Referee
Rewatching the tries we conceded against the Chooks, every one except the kick that wasn’t cleaned up, was scored on the back of retreating defence allowing the Chooks to isolate guys. Normally we are slowing that ruck down and then rushing up as a unit and those plays can’t happen.

Yeah this was especially noticeable the first ten minutes. Defensively we were falling off or giving up lots of post contact metres and with the ball we were not winning the rucks or moving the defensive line back at all.